FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Trader Sam's - Orlando
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 )
Trader Sam's - Orlando
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2 days ago; 6:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-04-24 09:59, kkocka wrote:
Quote:

On 2015-04-22 07:27, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
Here's the thing. I got to see TSGG in an unorthodox way, I'm not at liberty to really get into it, and I'm eager to see it under show conditions. Can we leave it at that? Sorry I ruffled some feathers.

Yeah, see, I don't quite buy that either. Even my cast member friends who worked on the place or on things related to that place were hardly let in but maybe two or three times at most before cast member test runs. You're saying somebody at WDI gave you a peek before it was up and running? Yeah yeah I know, you said an unorthodox way, but just tacking on another reason why people are calling you out on and offline alike.

For that matter, a handful of us on the boards got to see it in unorthodox ways too, but we can't get into it. Look there's no prize for having been there already and if you haven't been there that's cool too. It's not going anywhere, so there's no real bragging rights for having been there. I probably won't ever be able to visit there again, or not in many many years. I just have a problem with all this vagueness, all this mystery, the "online celebrity" thing. Hey, maybe I'm full of shit and I'm 100% wrong though. If that's the case then I unabashedly tip my hat.

Buy whatever you want to buy or not. Like I said, I'm not comfortable talking about what I saw and when I saw it out of courtesy for others. People can call me out all they want.... but, honestly, everyone I have encountered in this community has been pleasant.

I quite agree in that there's no prize with being there first and that there are no bragging rights. My comments were not meant to insinuate that there were.

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2 days ago; 6:28 pm   Permalink

ANYWAY, if we can move past all of this... Seems like waits have evened out to about an hour to get in. Crowds drop off around 9-10 and the place seems to get quiet after The Magic Kingdom usually closes for the night.

On one hand, I'm a little worried that it's not pulling people constantly... but I'm also pleased that TSGG will have its quieter times.

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2 days ago; 7:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-04-24 18:28, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
On one hand, I'm a little worried that it's not pulling people constantly... but I'm also pleased that TSGG will have its quieter times.

Heh, I think the same is true for the hotel pool or the guest laundry. And it's also true for Sam's at Disneyland. I don't think this is an issue -- Grog Grotto is important icing on the resort cake. It's a valuable and crowd-pleasing amenity which was built not to be constantly mobbed but to quiet down at times and allow people to absorb it and relax and tell stories when they get back home.

So there we have it - I put Grog Grotto in the same category as a laundromat!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2 days ago; 7:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-04-24 19:38, AceExplorer wrote:
Quote:

On 2015-04-24 18:28, EPCOTExplorer wrote:

-- Grog Grotto is important icing on the resort cake.

This is a really important point, now that the lobby waterfalls are gone. If there's a major draw for the resort these days, it's probably Sam's.

And Ohana, now that I think about it, too.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2 days ago; 8:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-04-24 19:49, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
[AceExplorer: Grog Grotto is important icing on the resort cake.]
This is a really important point, now that the lobby waterfalls are gone. If there's a major draw for the resort these days, it's probably Sam's.

I think I know what you mean. I try very hard not to overlook the Polynesian theming as a whole, and the sheer beauty of the entire resort, and how they work together to weave the fabric of the Polynesian Resort experience. To me Ohana, Grog Grotto, etc. are each an element of a greater combined experience and fabric. So I wouldn't put Grog Grotto on too high of a pedestal by calling it a major draw, because that is an injustice to the many other very good things at the resort.

In your private sneak-peaks, perhaps you got to speak to one of the Imagineers or show designers? They might have shared with you their vision for some guests (not all) to wander in and discover Sam's quite by accident. Can you imagine never having heard of Sam's, and suddenly becoming immersed in it and overtaken by it? This is why I see Sam's as icing for some -- and the cherry for others.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2 days ago; 9:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-04-24 20:38, AceExplorer wrote:
Quote:

On 2015-04-24 19:49, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
[AceExplorer: Grog Grotto is important icing on the resort cake.]

I think I know what you mean. I try very hard not to overlook the Polynesian theming as a whole, and the sheer beauty of the entire resort, and how they work together to weave the fabric of the Polynesian Resort experience. To me Ohana, Grog Grotto, etc. are each an element of a greater combined experience and fabric. So I wouldn't put Grog Grotto on too high of a pedestal by calling it a major draw, because that is an injustice to the many other very good things at the resort.

In your private sneak-peaks, perhaps you got to speak to one of the Imagineers or show designers? They might have shared with you their vision for some guests (not all) to wander in and discover Sam's quite by accident. Can you imagine never having heard of Sam's, and suddenly becoming immersed in it and overtaken by it? This is why I see Sam's as icing for some -- and the cherry for others.

I don't disagree with that at all....evaluating how everything fits together is probably the most logical way for viewing Disney's parks and their resorts, too, I guess.

However, in the scheme of things, and how Disney has added to the place and what they're promoting? Sam's is probably going to take the lead.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2 days ago; 10:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-04-24 21:11, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
However, in the scheme of things, and how Disney has added to the place and what they're promoting? Sam's is probably going to take the lead.

To be very clear, I think that will only be true for the very young and for those with tunnel vision.

EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Centralite

Posted: Yesterday; 8:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-04-24 20:38, AceExplorer wrote:

I'll just add to this thought that what got us spending a whole evening at the Polynesian on our honeymoon last year was the Spirit of Aloha show. We were staying at French Quarter but did the open-to-close at Animal Kingdom that day, then bused directly over to the Polynesian, wandered the grounds, roasted some marshmallows on the beach, found the lounge, and then took in the dinner show. Having Trader Sam's in addition to Spirit of Aloha (which we would do again) would have made it that much better.

As resorts that actually have stuff worth travelling to that resort to see and do, the Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge/Fort Wilderness are the best in my book. The lucky ducks staying at Wilderness Lodge could easily spend a whole day just around there without even needing to go to a theme park (I almost talked my wife into it, but we live in Calgary and work at a museum, so when she saw pictures she said it was just like being at home and vetoed the idea ).

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Yesterday; 10:34 pm   Permalink

This is what the Disney Parks Blog told us more than a month ago: "Official opening is set for late-April, when the coveted Tiki souvenir glassware arrives. (Tiki fans go bananas for the collectible mugs.) As soon as the official date is set, we will share on Disney Parks Blog." (At least they didn't say we "go ape" for mugs).

When I got a chance to interview the WDW beverage manager at the DVC opening on March 31, he said: "We hope to have the grand opening in late April. That's when the rest of our Grog Grotto souvenir vessels will arrive."

Well, here we are and not a word yet. I've received reports from friends who visited last Monday and were told that several mugs were no longer available for purchase. Then, last night, some other friends reported that they couldn't buy any of the mugs from Disneyland. Does this mean the new mugs are about to arrive? Will the "grand opening" be announced this week? I'm planning my return visit for early May, so I'm hoping for the best.

The official blog of The Hukilau

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Today; 08:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-04-25 22:34, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
This is what the Disney Parks Blog told us more than a month ago: "Official opening is set for late-April, when the coveted Tiki souvenir glassware arrives. (Tiki fans go bananas for the collectible mugs.) As soon as the official date is set, we will share on Disney Parks Blog." (At least they didn't say we "go ape" for mugs).

When I got a chance to interview the WDW beverage manager at the DVC opening on March 31, he said: "We hope to have the grand opening in late April. That's when the rest of our Grog Grotto souvenir vessels will arrive."

Well, here we are and not a word yet. I've received reports from friends who visited last Monday and were told that several mugs were no longer available for purchase. Then, last night, some other friends reported that they couldn't buy any of the mugs from Disneyland. Does this mean the new mugs are about to arrive? Will the "grand opening" be announced this week? I'm planning my return visit for early May, so I'm hoping for the best.

They've been mum on the blog for Sam's since that post. It's a little strange. Perhaps they're still waiting on the Nautilus.

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Today; 10:32 am   Permalink

I've heard rumors that an announcement is coming this week. We'll see ...

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Toli
Tiki Centralite

Posted: Today; 2:31 pm   Permalink

I just returned from a 10 day trip to Orlando. For 6 of those days I stayed at the Poly. This was my first opportunity to experience a Trader Sam's and my expectations were high. I was inside 3 nights and on the Terrace 5. First and foremost, the place is too small. I think Occupancy is 51 when 30 would be comfortable. Bar was too small and every time I was there half the people at the bar there were sipping on water. One of the things that makes a tiki bar great to me are the customers and the staff which were my biggest disappointment there.

The décor is great and the drinks ok. People are right about most the staff being annoying smartasses who are clueless about tiki. There was one older guy working who seemed to know a little but seemed annoyed more so then anything.

I actually enjoyed the chill atmosphere of the terrace and its staff and spent more time there. I also loved the live music outside. I wish they would do more of the trader sams décor on the terrace. If they did it would be more of a hit then inside. I think the staff and customers will improve with time especially come off peak. I do look forward to my next visit even though I was let down this time.

Mug shortages still existed.
As of 4/21
Uh-Oa! in stock
Zombie out
Krakatoa out (They had a box of 10 arrive Monday and they were gone by the end of the night)
Nautilus out
Mai Tai glass in stock
Rum flight mini mugs in stock
Plastic Pearls in stock (White Only still no black ones)

View Profile of Tiki Toli Send a personal message to Tiki Toli      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation