FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Trader Sam's - Orlando
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
Trader Sam's - Orlando
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-03 7:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-03 18:15, AceExplorer wrote:
Both times I visited in the last month they had a construction wall up at the front portico entrance underneath the monorail station. Could be the beginning of a new water feature. The entrance has always been pretty ho-hum, so I'm looking forward to what they are going to do.

I have ALWAYS felt that the monorail station looked pretty terrible… it's just wooden bars and has no artistic statement to it. Hope you're right and that this fixes it.

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-07 8:30 pm   Permalink

I forgot to reply to AceExplorer re the Dole Whip vs. "pineapple soft serve" question. My guess is that unless Dole is actually sponsoring the kiosk, like they do at Magic Kingdom and Disneyland, it's simply a business decision by WDW to leave "Dole" out of the name. Also, I believe that the Epcot kiosks (at Food & Wine and Flower & Garden) serve only the pineapple soft serve (with and without rum) and not the additional menu items you can get at Aloha Isle (vanilla and orange swirls, plus the floats with pineapple juice). It might be in Dole's contract that their name appears only when the juice is served.

More importantly, the popularity of these pineapple soft serves with rum has led to their appearance on the menu at Tamu Tamu in Animal Kingdom:
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2014/05/23/news-dole-whip-arriving-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/
Same menu items as Epcot: The virgin pineapple soft serve, or with an added shot (probably more like 1/2 ounce) of either coconut or dark rum. Looks like they use and Parrot Bay (ugh) and Myers's.
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/pineapple-promenade-2014-epcot-flower-and-garden-festival/

So the question remains: What will be served at the Pineapple Lanai kiosk at the newly redesigned Polynesian? My hope is for a full-blown location that offers everything you can get at Aloha Isle, plus a choice of various rums to be added. Perhaps someone should introduce Disney to Koloa Rum from Hawaii. The best flavored rums on the market, hands down.

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-07 8:40 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Hayward, I don't get to the other parks as often as Epcot. I love Dole Whip, except for the calories, heh. And you're right about Parrot Bay.

The best place I ever had Dole Whip was at the Dole Plantation on Oahu. Will have to post a pic of how they serve it over there - it puts Disney to shame - in a hollowed out pineapple half, but the hollowed out material is cubed and returned to the pineapple shell and then the Dole Whip goes on top in THREE towers. Pure pineapple heaven.

See you next week at the Hukilau!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-07 9:09 pm   Permalink

^^^ That sounds wonderful.

And I would expect Dole to return to Poly. They always had their name on the old sign.

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-07 9:32 pm   Permalink

I'm not sure it is so much a contract where Dole is saying 'you can only call it DW if juice is served' so much as 'Dole didn't pay for a spot in the food and wine festival so they get no brand recognition". Since you don't need a contract to buy the mix, as opposed to products like Coke, where they are heavily concerned with brand management, it probably just came down to that.

Might also be weird to see "Dole Whip with [whatever brand they use] Rum" so many trademarks it would make the signs look awful.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-07 9:49 pm   Permalink

Dole probably doesn't want to be associated with yucky Parrot Bay, hahahaha...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-08 07:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-07 21:49, AceExplorer wrote:
Dole probably doesn't want to be associated with yucky Parrot Bay, hahahaha...

This. Who would?! hahahah

wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-08 10:14 am   Permalink

Well they do both love money... though linking one's product to another that sponsors Rush Limbaugh might be enough of a turn-off to keep them apart.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-09 9:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-07 21:32, wizzard419 wrote:
I'm not sure it is so much a contract where Dole is saying 'you can only call it DW if juice is served' so much as 'Dole didn't pay for a spot in the food and wine festival so they get no brand recognition". Since you don't need a contract to buy the mix, as opposed to products like Coke, where they are heavily concerned with brand management, it probably just came down to that.

Might also be weird to see "Dole Whip with [whatever brand they use] Rum" so many trademarks it would make the signs look awful.

Yeah, I'm guessing it's something like that. No money, no brand placement. I would expect Dole to have more interest in a permanent location at the Poly though. I love those floats, so I'm hoping we get the full monty.

OK, this is straying a little bit off topic, but the best place to get rum-topped ice cream at WDW is actually over at L’Artisan des Glaces in France at Epcot. They call it an ice-cream "martini," but it's just a big glass of ice cream doused with a hefty shot of booze. You can mix and match ice cream flavors with top-shelf liquors. Grand Marnier was tempting, but I had to go with Rhum Clement V.S.O.P. from Martinique, an excellent agricole rum. I had them pour it over a mix of white chocolate ice cream and pineapple sorbet. Pretty darned tasty:

Now, back to those Trader Sam's rumors ...

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-10 10:33 am   Permalink

Yepp. Trying that on Saturday. ^^^

Anyway, I've been hearing that Tambu might be absorbed by Ohana once Sam's opens? I'm taking that with a grain of salt…

wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-10 6:59 pm   Permalink

Tambu is the bar that people suggest over Ohana, right? They might be removed from the property if they need to transfer the liquor license because the area was maxed out for hard alcohol service.

kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-10 7:16 pm   Permalink

From what I've been told it should remain as service for Ohana still. Also can somebody else UMOD this to Locating Tiki?

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-10 8:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-10 18:59, wizzard419 wrote:
Tambu is the bar that people suggest over Ohana, right? They might be removed from the property if they need to transfer the liquor license because the area was maxed out for hard alcohol service.

Over? Tambu is right next to Ohana… You order drinks there and then go to dinner. I think.

wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-10 8:21 pm   Permalink

Over as in "in favor of" mostly because they don't care about the family-dining stuff and want only specific items, if you check the yelp reviews (which can skewer it at times) they frequently suggest going to the bar over the dinner show.

[ This Message was edited by: wizzard419 2014-06-10 20:21 ]

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-10 8:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-10 19:16, kkocka wrote:
Also can somebody else UMOD this to Locating Tiki?

No, because Sam's is not open yet, so it can't be "Locating Tiki" yet. This thread will be migrated to "Locating Tiki" when Sam's is open to the public. Good suggestion, and I've already discussed doing this with our moderator, Hakalugi.

Cheers from Ft Lauderdale - I just left the Molokai Bar - neener neener!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation