FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Trader Sam's - Orlando
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Trader Sam's - Orlando
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-19 11:53 am   Permalink

Tambu actually has some good bartenders, they just have to follow "marching orders" from the food & beverage folks and rarely are allowed to improvise. They also have to service both restaurants as well as the bar, so it can get busy. That being said, I've been impressed with some of the recent offerings on the "standard" bar menu that's available across property. Disney seems to be putting a bit of thought into it. Give the Pineapple Caipirinha or Smoked Turkey a shot.

Good to hear that they're still making some semblance of a Zombie, and are actually using bitters. It was on the last full-blown Tambu menu, along with the Scorpion and a few others. I seem to recall it being decent but nothing special. But now most bars are limited to just a couple unique drinks (at Tambu it's the Lapu Lapu and Backscratcher) on the menu. The bartenders who've been there awhile can also still make a pretty decent Scorpion. All the drinks are definitely "Disney-fied" (aka dumbed-down for the masses), but typically have some relation to the original. The Backscratcher is their version of the Tropical Itch (Hawaiian Village version), which also featured bourbon and the backscratcher (see Beachbum Berry's Remixed, page 163).

Of course, Trader Sam's would be a welcome addition. I'm trying to get independent confirmation that it's coming, but no luck yet.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-19 12:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-19 11:53, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Give the Pineapple Caipirinha or Smoked Turkey a shot.

Haha, my bartender buddy at the WDW resorts went off on how awful the Smoked Turkey is from the moment it was being created and added to the universal resorts menu, complete with Monin smoke syrup. I guess everybody certainly has their own tastes and preferences, but it was a shared opinion with a lot of the higher grade 'tenders.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-20 09:33 am   Permalink

Re the Smoked Turkey: I had that drink at the Crew's Cup at the Yacht Club, sitting next to a wall of raw meat, so it seemed to be appropriate at the time. But I still rather liked the combination of Wild Turkey 101 and Red Stag Black Cherry bourbons. If it lasts, I'll have to try it again to make sure my taste buds weren't deceiving me.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-20 09:42 am   Permalink

HH thanks for the updates on what's happening with the Polysnesian hotel and Trader Sam's.

I am from Florida and actually really miss the theme parks there more than anything else. Sorry but Disneyland's castle can fit into Disney World's castle thus proving DW is better hands down

I will keep checking on this thread for any TS updates you may find out--thanks alot!

[ This Message was edited by: SandraDee 2014-02-20 09:42 ]

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-20 2:20 pm   Permalink

With Disney its all about the bottom line $$$ profits. TS @ WDW will certainly happen in conjunction with the Poly refurb. Lets hope they establish & maintain Tiki drink standards after it opens

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-20 2:29 pm   Permalink

When I visited Trader Sam's in Anaheim I found that their drinks had been customized by their consultants to be unique for Disney. The same would likely be true if Sam's is built in Orlando. Over the course of a long evening I spoke to a couple of their very friendly bartenders and my impression was that the emphasis was on entertainment and enjoyment versus recipe authenticity. They do sell some very fun mugs, though, and I added a couple to my collection.

I'm going to have to look up their drink menu online later - I think someone posted some scans a while back.

[ This Message was edited by: AceExplorer 2014-02-20 14:32 ]

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Piratiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-20 10:31 pm   Permalink

If you want a true "Disney Tiki" experience at Tambu, ask for Walter, and order something off the Menu. The 'Seven Seas' is an Old Time disney drink from the first days of the Poly. It's an original, and has a decent balance. He will also make a version of the Zombie, Navy Grog, Scorpion, Classic Mai Tai, or Fogcutter. And of course the Backscratcher is pretty true.

View Profile of Piratiki Send a personal message to Piratiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-20 11:19 pm   Permalink

The drinks that exist in California will be available in Florida, made correctly or at least as per its current recipes. Some of the current drinks might not be 100% the same as the originals, but I don't believe they're far off in any ridiculous sense. Their mai tai is a mai tai. Some of the current crew are very insistent that any new drinks are not to be the sugary messes of old Disneyland and pay correct homage to the tiki and mixology culture.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-22 12:53 am   Permalink

Piratiki, I totally agree about Walter. I've unfortunately missed him on most of my recent visits, but I look for him every time I'm there. In November 2012, he celebrated 25 years with Disney, so I'm sure he gets the choice hours nowadays.

Here's a classic menu from 1975. Dig those horrible '70s fonts.

My guess is Trader Sam's will be a slight improvement.

Piratiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-09 10:19 pm   Permalink

Hurricane:

Walter is off Mon, Tues, Wed. The FT bartenders work 4 10-12 hour days. Of course he occasionally goes on Vacation...

Sadly, the other full timer that knew the drinks and the History, Clinta, has moved to the bar at the newly renovated California Grill.

It's ironic that you posted that Menu--it's mine! I'm the one that sent the scans to Steve.

If you are ever up here and want to tip a few at Tambu or whatever, let me know. Or I will look you up at Hukilau.

Scott

View Profile of Piratiki Send a personal message to Piratiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SBJiminyC
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-02 08:13 am   Permalink

Disney posted some information on their web site today about the Poly remodel and the new Trader Sam's. Apparently they are reverting the name of the resort back to Disney Polynesian Village Resort. Also the Sam's in Orlando will be called Trader Sam's Grog Grotto.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/05/plans-for-a-re-imagined-disneys-polynesian-resort-include-a-nostalgic-name-change/

A couple concept paintings were also posted.

View Profile of SBJiminyC Send a personal message to SBJiminyC      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PabTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-02 08:25 am   Permalink

Great update; can't wait to find out more!

My Dad and I went to a luau at Disney World (presumably the Polynesian Resort?) when I was a kid, which I barely remember; I think it was my first exposure to Polynesian ... well, anything.

My gf and I were talking about going to Trader Sam's in Anaheim just last night. I just found out about it.

Exciting news!

My collection of bifwebe | My cruddy music

View Profile of PabTiki Send a personal message to PabTiki  Goto the website of PabTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-02 08:25 am   Permalink

I've read the words "It will be a family-oriented location." from another article. Hope that doesn't mean children running around at night, yeesh. =\

SBJiminyC
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-02 09:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-02 08:25, kkocka wrote:
I've read the words "It will be a family-oriented location." from another article. Hope that doesn't mean children running around at night, yeesh. =

I don't go terribly often to the Anaheim Trader Sam's, but during the day children inside the bar portion isn't uncommon. Personally I was happy to see a family sitting having a meal inside Sam's. The look in the kids eyes at all the details and during the interactive drink event moments, such as the Shipwreck on the Rocks, was priceless. I was happey knowing those kids could grow up having a very positive attitude towards Tiki bars in general, and possibly becoming the next generation of people keeping the Tiki spirit alive.

Those who go at night to Sam's might comment on the atmosphere at those hours

View Profile of SBJiminyC Send a personal message to SBJiminyC      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PabTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-02 09:24 am   Permalink

Well I can only speak for myself in saying that I'm excited to be the one watching in wide-eyed wonder, haha!

My collection of bifwebe | My cruddy music

View Profile of PabTiki Send a personal message to PabTiki  Goto the website of PabTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation