FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Trader Sam's - Orlando
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Trader Sam's - Orlando
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-02 3:54 pm   Permalink

I wouldn't read too much into the "family-oriented" reference. It's Disney World, of course it won't exclude families. Of the hundreds of bars and restaurants on property, there's probably only one that doesn't allow children (Victoria & Albert's). If you're a parent on vacation with your kids, this can be a godsend.

The Polynesian attracts lots of families. With its prime location in the lobby, I'd expect Trader Sam's to cater to guests with kids during the day and into the early evening. But like most other WDW bars, it will become more adult as it gets later.

I'm working on a report for my blog on today's announcement, trying to dig up some exclusive little tidbits of info.

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-02 5:49 pm   Permalink

Well keep in mind that Sam's is likely to go in the now-defunct arcade, a bit more removed than the lobby where Tambu Lounge is.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-03 3:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-02 09:20, SBJiminyC wrote:
Quote:

On 2014-05-02 08:25, kkocka wrote:
I've read the words "It will be a family-oriented location." from another article. Hope that doesn't mean children running around at night, yeesh. =

I don't go terribly often to the Anaheim Trader Sam's, but during the day children inside the bar portion isn't uncommon. Personally I was happy to see a family sitting having a meal inside Sam's. The look in the kids eyes at all the details and during the interactive drink event moments, such as the Shipwreck on the Rocks, was priceless. I was happey knowing those kids could grow up having a very positive attitude towards Tiki bars in general, and possibly becoming the next generation of people keeping the Tiki spirit alive.

Those who go at night to Sam's might comment on the atmosphere at those hours

I don't think Keith's issue is specifically with children, as much as it is a potential concern for the Orlando folks "watering down" the Trader Sam"'s experience we know in Anaheim. And, given TD Orlando's history, I don't think it's unwarranted. But, the issue isn't having kids around, it's "how" TS could be changed to cater to the WDW demographic, which is different than the typical one in Anaheim.

I see children around TS a lot and am glad they enjoy it without it needing to be "cutesy" or pandering to what some corporate executive thinks is kindergarten-friendly. A very good friend of mine goes to the Parks with his family a lot and his 8yr old and 4 yr old love going to Sam's. They have requested on many occasions to leave the Park specifically to have dinner at Sam's. Proof that the concept can work for both families and non-families.

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-03 8:53 pm   Permalink

Kids are allowed in Trader Sam's @ DL, but can not sit at the bar with their parents & that IS strictly enforced!

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mockingbird
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-05-04 06:22 am   Permalink

I love the inclusion of 20k leagues in the concept drawings. I have always thought that movie, while not specifically tiki, really fit well with it, so I hope those ideas make it through to final. Also if they do a nautilus submarine bowl like in the concept I will be down there so fast to get one all you will see is one of the cartoon dust outlines as I leave Texas.

[ This Message was edited by: Mockingbird 2014-05-04 06:23 ]

View Profile of Mockingbird Send a personal message to Mockingbird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-04 1:12 pm   Permalink

Call tiki farm and see if they are working on it, they make the mugs for the DLR one.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-05 2:38 pm   Permalink

Here's my full story on Trader Sam's coming to Disney World, with info gleaned from a number of sites and sources, plus some stuff I don't think has been published before. And an added bonus: A special cocktail recipe to welcome Sam to Orlando.

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2014/05/05/say-aloha-to-trader-sams-grog-grotto-at-disneys-polynesian-village-resort/

Of most interest to folks here on TC:

Steve “Tikiman” Seifert is reporting that the seating capacity of Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto will be 50 inside and 80 outside overlooking the soon-to-be refurbished pool. He said that with the work on the lobby now extending deeper into 2015, it's possible that Trader Sam's will also get pushed out from what he previously announced (February opening). He mentioned rumored changes to Kona Cafe, but nothing major at Tambu Lounge or 'Ohana. He also said that "other things that will be added around the resort" will continue with the Adventureland theme.

Another person with inside sources says that the giant Tiki that's depicted in the rendering above in the center of the Great Ceremonial House (replacing the current water feature) may stand up to 15 feet tall. I didn't include it in the article since I couldn't really confirm it, but the same person is saying that Kevin & Jody are working on Tikis for the lobby, and that when the torch-lighting returns it will have its own area with hula dancers.

I posted some info I was given about the development of Trader Sam's in Anaheim, including a link to the old Polynesian (see image above).

Lastly, I created The Trader’s Polynesian Aloha Grog as a tribute to both the old Polynesian and the coming of Trader Sam's.
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2014/05/05/say-aloha-to-trader-sams-grog-grotto-at-disneys-polynesian-village-resort/#polynesian-grog

Okole maluna!

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-13 06:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-02 15:54, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
I wouldn't read too much into the "family-oriented" reference. It's Disney World, of course it won't exclude families. Of the hundreds of bars and restaurants on property, there's probably only one that doesn't allow children (Victoria & Albert's). If you're a parent on vacation with your kids, this can be a godsend.

The Polynesian attracts lots of families. With its prime location in the lobby, I'd expect Trader Sam's to cater to guests with kids during the day and into the early evening. But like most other WDW bars, it will become more adult as it gets later.

I'm working on a report for my blog on today's announcement, trying to dig up some exclusive little tidbits of info.

Not only that, but FL Law prevents kids from sitting at the bar. If they post the same rules as Disneyland Sam's, it should be fine.

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-05-15 11:21 am   Permalink

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/05/disneys-polynesian-resort-to-open-club-disney-in-june-trader-sams-in-2015/

"We previously shared that a Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto, similar to the one at Disneyland Hotel in California, is also planned for the resort. Today we’re happy to share that Trader Sam’s will open its doors at the resort in 2015. In addition another new food and beverage location, Pineapple Lenai kiosk which will offer a tropical guest favorite – Dole Whip – will open later this year."

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-15 12:20 pm   Permalink

Hooray Dole Whips!!!

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-15 2:52 pm   Permalink

Love the new art… looks like an Audio Animatronic Uh Oa will be making her way into Sam's.

What's funny is that she's an old character from the remake of the Tiki Room that played up until 2011. I had always said that she was better as a joke/nod in Trader Sam's than as a full blown character in a "hip and edgy" tiki room.

Also: think there's going to be multiple rooms in the new Sam's? The lighting differences between this piece of art and the other one suggests it.

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-15 2:56 pm   Permalink

It might, but Trader Sams at DLR has the lights/effects that change throughout your visit as well as when specific drinks are ordered.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-15 4:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-15 14:56, wizzard419 wrote:
It might, but Trader Sams at DLR has the lights/effects that change throughout your visit as well as when specific drinks are ordered.

Good point. Still- eager to see this. It'll be nice, having a 'local' branch of Sam's, instead of having to get on a plane…

Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-16 01:10 am   Permalink

Tikiman has some new info on his website, including more on Trader Sam's:

"The outdoor seating will be much larger than the one at Disneyland and will stretch toward the new pool deck area. It will also have its own outside bar to serve customers who are outside."

He also mentions all the projects at the resort being completed "around next March or April."

http://www.tikimanpages.com/poly/news/item/204-may-news-and-updates

EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-16 07:04 am   Permalink

Oooh, a enlarged lanai would be lovely, on the Seven Seas Lagoon.... torches aglow at night...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation