FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Trader Sam's - Orlando
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 )
Trader Sam's - Orlando
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 29 days ago; 2:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-11-19 13:44, Thortiki wrote:
The point I was trying to make is that TS @ Disneyland is more accessible since its more part of Anaheim's Downtown Disney than the future WDW TS as part of the overall Poly experience.

Its just unfortunate that the Disneyland Hotel is right next door to Downtown Disney (the number of people who say "Trader Sam's in Downtown Disney" irks me to no end!). But that same theme is what you get when you have a difference in the lot of land between the two coasts.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackskeleton
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 29 days ago; 11:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-11-19 12:32, wizzard419 wrote:
The only key will be is that (just like with most of the stuff) they will not likely promote it beyond vacation info stuff (the trip planning and in room info) and social media. So guests may not be aware of it unless they were at the hotel itself.

With it being the same size as Trader Sam's in the Disneyland hotel area, is that really a bad thing? The amount of folks visiting those theme parks and after hour... I'm not sure you need to promote it much more to make it a success and crowded as all hell.

View Profile of tikijackskeleton Send a personal message to tikijackskeleton      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 01:01 am   Permalink

My 2 cents:

I like the fact that the bar is going to be the same size as the original, which should maintain the intimate feel and allow for all the cool effects. But they might not have had much choice considering the space it occupies. I don't think it could be much bigger indoors. The regulars and locals will figure out the best times to go when the crowds aren't crazy.

When crowds are at their peak, that huge patio should be able to absorb most of the overflow. I don't think there's another resort bar on Disney World property with that much adjacent seating. The fact that it's somewhat tucked away in the Poly is a big bonus at WDW. If it were in Downtown Disney, it would be overrun every night. A bar like Trader Sam's should be a little difficult to get to.

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 04:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-11-19 12:32, wizzard419 wrote:
The only key will be is that (just like with most of the stuff) they will not likely promote it beyond vacation info stuff (the trip planning and in room info) and social media. So guests may not be aware of it unless they were at the hotel itself.

Regardless, locals are going to eat it up. Parking will be a mess. haha

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 11:39 am   Permalink

My advice to locals (or WDW passholders) is to get a Tables in Wonderland card ... http://tablesinwonderland.com

If you visit frequently, it's a great perk. Free valet parking at any resort where you use the card. Of course, you need to tip, but the convenience is worth it. And you get 20% off meals (including alcohol) at most sit-down restaurants and many other locations, including bars. And you can use it for up to a party of 10. I've used it many times at the Tambu Lounge.

Currently, it's $125 for Florida residents, $100 for annual/seasonal passholders and Disney Vacation Club members. It's usually good for 13 months. If you go to WDW a lot and frequent the bars and restaurants, do the math and see if it works for you.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 12:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-11-20 01:01, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
My 2 cents:

I like the fact that the bar is going to be the same size as the original, which should maintain the intimate feel and allow for all the cool effects. But they might not have had much choice considering the space it occupies. I don't think it could be much bigger indoors. The regulars and locals will figure out the best times to go when the crowds aren't crazy.

When crowds are at their peak, that huge patio should be able to absorb most of the overflow. I don't think there's another resort bar on Disney World property with that much adjacent seating. The fact that it's somewhat tucked away in the Poly is a big bonus at WDW. If it were in Downtown Disney, it would be overrun every night. A bar like Trader Sam's should be a little difficult to get to.

This is also the same reason why the DLR version is small, they reused a space that was once a bar/retail/arcade.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 1:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-11-20 12:36, wizzard419 wrote:
This is also the same reason why the DLR version is small, they reused a space that was once a bar/retail/arcade.

Actually (Finky099 pushes his glasses up from nose to forehead), the space Disneyland's TS currently shares with Tangaroa Terrace was most recently a restaurant called Hook's Pointe. I think you're thinking of the building that houses Lost Bar, retail, etc., which was across from this building, where they put the new "Monorail" pool.

Sorry, my Disnerdiness just got in the way of my tiki-nerdiness.

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 7:21 pm   Permalink

Bitch, please... you have to go further back, to the previous bar (which was also the location of the RC boats prior to being moved to rainforest café and after being moved from the giant lagoon. Additionally there was (where the actual bar is) a hotel shop that featured a glass blower/polisher and the arcade moved behind it after it was displaced from the lagoon. I think the bottle shop also did a stint there before it was moved over by the Oriental Gardens.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 10:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-11-20 19:21, wizzard419 wrote:
Bitch, please... you have to go further back, to the previous bar...

Amateurs. Can't even name the old bar? Wharf Bar. Although for a few years it was renamed Aussie's Pub, back during the Crocodile Dundee daze/craze.

Before Hook's Pointe (and for most of its life), the restaurant was called The Shipyard Inn. And hidden beneath were Trader Sam's is now, was one of Disney's best kept secrets...the Wine Cellar...a small, quiet and cozy full service wine bar practically hidden away down in the...well...cellar. Was THE best spot to get away from the crowds and kids while at Disney. Many regulars. Relatively very few tourists ever could find or ventured down there. Miss it.

Although finky099 is correct. Where Trader Sam's is now...there was never a bar in that location. Just Shipyard Inn/Hook's Pointe, and the Wine Cellar down below. The only bar in that area was across the walkway (Wharf Bar).

[ This Message was edited by: PremEx 2014-11-20 22:39 ]

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation