FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki History - The Tahitian Village in Downey, CA
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tiki History - The Tahitian Village in Downey, CA
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-04 7:24 pm   Permalink

I recently tried to win this really cool menu mailer on ebay.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-05 02:04 am   Permalink

Time for a little brochure archeology (courtesy of nichols). Now, we all know the tall Tahitian Village sign from the "Book of Tiki", and the great Tahitian Village Armet and Davis rendering from "Tiki Modern":

An impressive development, with Motel, restaurant, bar and coffee shop:

Zooming in shows a great swooping Googie roof:

...which did not quite turn out that way. Here is the shot from Tiki Modern of the restaurant's A-frame in the 90s, by then a Mexican night club:

...and here the original entrance on the cover of the brochure:

It featured the typical bridge with Tiki posts and anchor chain railing, a waterfall on the right...

...and, if you can look past the babes, check out the weird Tiki-painted door:

That was not there anymore when I photographed it in the early 90s, but the Tiki posts were:

Now for some more pure Polynesian pop poetry from the brochure:

And next, lets blow up every photo of the brochure, even if the different rooms were not quite as elaborate in Tipsy factor as one might have fantasized:

The Bamboo Room

The Aloha Room

The Underseas Bar

The Coffeshop was even more basic:

We can make out the logo on the place mats. Tiki place mats must be the rarest paper ephemera out there, but we have a napkin:

And now let's go outside to the Motel courtyard:

When I stumbled on this lost paradise, the waterfalls had dried up,

...and the lush foliage had been reduced to a few hardy survivors:

Only one Tiki had survived, and he was horribly defaced by rot:

I am pretty sure it was the very Milan Guanko Tiki pictured on this menu cover:

May he rest in peace, and with him the Tahitian Village.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-05 4:25 pm   Permalink

One more thing: Most Polynesian Hotel/Motels had very sparsely themed rooms, here is the one from the Tahitian Village brochure, more modern Asian in decor (I do like that drinks are already waiting!):

Obviously, the Motel interior decorator industry had nothing to do with the restaurant designer business, and favored less costly modernism to all-out Tiki decor. The Ocean House down in San Diego had a bit more Polynesian feel to their rooms, I dig their A-frame beds:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-05 5:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-05 16:25, bigbrotiki wrote:
One more thing: Most Polynesian Hotel/Motels had very sparsely themed rooms, here is the one from the Tahitian Village brochure, more modern Asian in decor (I do like that drinks are already waiting!):

Obviously, the Motel interior decorator industry had nothing to do with the restaurant designer business, and favored less costly modernism to all-out Tiki decor. The Ocean House down in San Diego had a bit more Polynesian feel to their rooms, I dig their A-frame beds:

Isn't that what you'd call "Tiki Modern" ?

I've always said this, but I love the fusion of Tiki Aesthetic and Modernism/Asian Minimalism.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-05 6:13 pm   Permalink

"If it says Tiki on it, it should have Tiki in it." Without primitive art, these interiors are somewhat generic, I would call them Tropical Modern or Exotic Modern. I like that, too, but it's not Tiki Modern.

tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-05 7:16 pm   Permalink

The Lamp in the second interior (with the bamboo A Frame headboards)...is that a TIKI lamp ?

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-05 7:22 pm   Permalink

Nope. There were some Hawaiian hotels that had Tiki-shaped bases, notably The Waikikian, never seen them used in American hotels.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-13 10:26 am   Permalink

Bigbro,

Those old brochures a so great for their wealth of material. I finally scored one of the postcards of the interior restaurant dance floor area that Sabu had started this post with (now a Red X).

Also found some more Tahitian Village ads on the internet.

This is a cool matchbook photo with each match stick advertising something from the hotel. An on-site drug and liquor store, no wonder it was so popular!

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2009-06-13 10:27 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-22 12:20 am   Permalink

A nother coool ashtray from one of my favorite Tiki places in the So Cal hot bed of Tiki.

Missed it buy that much.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-12 4:39 pm   Permalink

Picked up an oversized postcard from the Tahitian Village that has some shots from the brochure and a nice view of the tiki in the pool area.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-12 10:04 pm   Permalink

Dig that A-frame sectional lay-out, a smart idea that more Tiki temples could have used.

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-15 7:55 pm   Permalink

Ad from a local Long Beach paper:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-15 8:31 pm   Permalink

Nice collage, using that Milan Guanko Tiki three times!
What year is that newspaper?: Calcutta Room? Attitude Adjustment hour? Sounds kinda late 70s to me.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-13 6:23 pm   Permalink

This is a great old thread!

I picked up another matchbook advertising the "New Tahitian Village".

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-15 07:45 am   Permalink

An illustrated drink menu from the Tahitian Village.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation