FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Various projects-updated 5/5/14
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Various projects-updated 5/5/14
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-27 02:23 am   Permalink

Wow! Gwen I think he turned out pretty spectacular, you must have some pretty high standards for yourself if you think he didn't turn out very well. I would be very proud to have something like that in my yard. Welcome to TC I hope you stick around and keep on creating. Loving what I am seeing so far.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-27 8:08 pm   Permalink

Thanks Gwen!

Those are great directions. I've done some concrete work with my husband so I have a little experience in that area. It's starting to get a little warmer in the Northeast so I'll be attempting my first concrete tiki soon. When I do I'll take some pictures. I'd love an army of these guys around my pool.

Mahalo,
Lori

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-27 8:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-26 19:46, Gwen wrote:

p.s. No, Lori- I didn't buy a hypertufa e-book. What I did buy was a really fantastic out of print book on concrete garden sculpture called 'Creating with Concrete' by Sherri Warner Hunter. You can find it easily.

[ This Message was edited by: Gwen 2013-03-26 19:50 ]

Gwen,

Sherri has three different books:

1. Creative Concrete Ornaments for the Garden: Making Pots, Planters, Birdbaths, Sculpture & More by Sherri Warner Hunter (Mar 6, 2012)

2. Making Concrete Garden Ornaments by Sherri Warner Hunter (May 1, 2002)

3. Creating with Concrete: Yard Art, Sculpture and Garden Projects by Sherri Warner Hunter (Jun 30, 2001)

Is one book better than the others?

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gwen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-28 07:32 am   Permalink

Sherri has three different books:

1. Creative Concrete Ornaments for the Garden: Making Pots, Planters, Birdbaths, Sculpture & More by Sherri Warner Hunter (Mar 6, 2012)

2. Making Concrete Garden Ornaments by Sherri Warner Hunter (May 1, 2002)

3. Creating with Concrete: Yard Art, Sculpture and Garden Projects by Sherri Warner Hunter (Jun 30, 2001)

Is one book better than the others?

[/quote]

There is a reviewer on Amazon who warns that 'Making Concrete Garden Ornaments' is in fact the same book as 'Creating with Concrete', so I guess there are really only two books to choose from. Looking at the summation of 'Creative Concrete Ornaments', it sounds like the book gives instructions for a different set of specific projects, but the basic techniques covered would be much the same. I think either one would be just dandy.
BTW, as mentioned, I cast my guy in a cardboard tube. But the book recommends using a piece of sheet metal shaped into a cylinder and held in place with clamps. The cardboard could only be used once, but the sheet metal could be used again and again, should you want to have your garden well and truly tikied out. I want to do future ones that way.

View Profile of Gwen Send a personal message to Gwen  Goto the website of Gwen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-30 10:30 am   Permalink

Sheet metal... brilliant! Thanks for the tips.

It's getting warm(er) here. I'm getting excited. I'd start one tomorrow but it's supposed to rain. Maybe pour one next Friday and carve it over the weekend!

Thanks again Gwen!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-05 9:02 pm   Permalink

Finally found your thread Gwen thanks to Lori's link. This a very good idea ... I think I had one of those books at one time, but I can't find it anymore. I think your tiki is very good and an army of them all around the yard is a very sane idea. The cardboard mold got the wheels spinning in my head and I thought maybe it would be possible to construct a basic tiki face on the inside using wood scrap to make a mold and detail it later. Sorry, my mind works in strange ways .... Great thread ... Gene

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gwen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-05 9:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-05 21:02, Gene S Morgan wrote:
Finally found your thread Gwen thanks to Lori's link. This a very good idea ... I think I had one of those books at one time, but I can't find it anymore. I think your tiki is very good and an army of them all around the yard is a very sane idea. The cardboard mold got the wheels spinning in my head and I thought maybe it would be possible to construct a basic tiki face on the inside using wood scrap to make a mold and detail it later. Sorry, my mind works in strange ways .... Great thread ... Gene

I don't think that's a strange idea, Gene, so long as you can figure out a way to make it work. I would really like to do some molds myself. I keep meaning to explore that idea... by the way, did you see my recent thread on the tiki lamp I made? It is another concrete project.

View Profile of Gwen Send a personal message to Gwen  Goto the website of Gwen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-06 6:32 pm   Permalink

Gwen, assuming now that this has fully cured and dried out, Q: did the hypertufa turn out noticeably lighter than plain concrete?

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gwen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-06 8:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-06 18:32, Philot wrote:
Gwen, assuming now that this has fully cured and dried out, Q: did the hypertufa turn out noticeably lighter than plain concrete?

My hypertufa mixes have been different from yours, as I didn't use sand. But I would not think it would cure lighter than plain concrete, since the component materials are not lighter in color.
I put an acrylic wash on a small one I did. It worked quite well. I am sure it would not stand up super well to the elements, but one could easily freshen up the wash every few years. Most concrete stains seem pretty toxic and also pricey.

Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-07 07:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-06 20:58, Gwen wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-05-06 18:32, Philot wrote:

My hypertufa mixes have been different from yours, as I didn't use sand. But I would not think it would cure lighter than plain concrete, since the component materials are not lighter in color.
I put an acrylic wash on a small one I did. It worked quite well. I am sure it would not stand up super well to the elements, but one could easily freshen up the wash every few years. Most concrete stains seem pretty toxic and also pricey.

Whoops, guess I should have been a little more specific. I was actually interested in the weight, not the color. Although, unless you live in a desert, the peat moss component probably doesn't let go of 100% of its moisture.

I keep hoping to find a reasonable equivalent to aerated concrete that can be cast by the DIY'er. The closest I've seen anyone come to that is using perlite as an aggregate.

Looks like hypertufa / papercrete / other creative mixes are a widely discussed topic in various gardening forums on the web:
Quote:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hypertufa/msg0423222317588.html
one part portland cement, two parts peat moss and three parts perlite. The texture is wonderful, the cure time is no different and it's light, light, light. It's no good for birdbaths but wonderful for plant containers.

[ This Message was edited by: Philot 2013-05-07 07:35 ]

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gwen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-07 07:47 am   Permalink

I feel so goofy, Lori! Of course you meant the weight.... duh! Anyway, I haven't noticed mine being much lighter after curing. I am sure some water weight is lost, but not enough to make a big difference.

Gwen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-08 10:47 am   Permalink

Here is my completed tiki modern lamp. I want to do at least one more of these with a more elongated and tapered tiki figure....

Gwen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-08 10:49 am   Permalink

And here is my triptych painting, featuring my dog Boo Boo as a tiki god...

Gwen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-08 10:52 am   Permalink

I really wanted a large zebra rug of good quality, but the ones I found online were all either cheesy or very expensive. So I bought a sisal rug and painted one myself. This could be done VERY inexpensively by buying a used sisal rug on craigslist, then using inexpensive mismatched paint from the paint store.

Gwen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-08 10:58 am   Permalink

These are the last couple of tiki's I have made. They are both made using a kind off odd hypertufa mix- three parts plain potting soil to one part concrete. This mix has the disadvantage of being crumbly in the extreme- like carving a stale brownie! But the finished texture looks really nice and the price is great. Costs about five bucks to make a 3 foot tiki. I made the one guy hollow as a practice run for doing a fountain.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation