FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Bahooka To Be Reborn!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Bahooka To Be Reborn!
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-22 10:48 am   Permalink

Just read this:

http://www.lamag.com/citythink/askchris/2013/03/21/tiki-paradise-bahooka-to-be-reborn

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-22 11:15 am   Permalink

Actually the Bigbro pointed that out on the Bahooka memories thread. But since this one has been created let me state this...

I don't want the Bahooka to be reborn at Clifton's !!

I was really hoping that the new "Tiki" bar would be a literal homage to the 1940's Pre-Tiki style that existed at the Pacific Seas. Check out that super cool neon palm tree...

Do you see any nautical style, flotsam or jetsam, or even Tikis in that picture ??

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2013-03-22 12:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-22 11:15, JOHN-O wrote:

Do you see any nautical style, flotsam or jetsam, or even Tikis in that picture ??

No, but adding some would definitely improve it!

From what I read, it's being billed as a 21st century version of Clifton's original Pacific Seas Cafeteria. So in a way it's still an homage to the original Pacific Seas but with more. And as long as there are no party city clown tikis, I can't complain.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-22 1:08 pm   Permalink

Sounds like the best possible thing that could have happened! I'm really looking forward to it... Clifton's Brookdale is already an amazing, one of a kind place, and it's only going to get better! It's incredible good fortune for us that so much from Bahooka will still be together, for us to enjoy in an appropriate atmosphere.

I see it as two lost tiki establishments being given a new lease on life... I certainly can't find anything about which to complain in this scenario.

Now imagine that any remnants of Bahooka never resurfaced anywhere. And that nobody thought enough of The Pacific Seas to feel it warranted any sort of rebirth.

Please try to appreciate our good fortune to have what we still have, to have memories of great things past, and be grateful of what the future holds in store for us tikiphiles.

http://ericoctober.com

[ This Message was edited by: tobunga 2013-03-22 13:25 ]

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-22 1:29 pm   Permalink

I think that was one of the best responses/comments I have ever read Tobunga. Well said!!

Great news for sure!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-22 1:51 pm   Permalink

A few facts:

The NEW South Seas Cliftons will be just one of many themed rooms in the place. It will be upstairs in the front, facing Broadway (but with limited, if at all window space).

It will be an homage to the golden age of travel, before jets.

It will neither be an exact replica of Clifton's Pacific Seas, nor of Bahooka's - it will be its own thing.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-22 2:00 pm   Permalink

Nothing to complain about whatsoever!

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-22 4:36 pm   Permalink

I have been working intimately with the owner of Clifton's now for many months and can assure everbody that the end result will be nothing short of breathtaking. The owner has a keen sense of the history of the property and is working with some of the best collaborators to restore it to it's original days of grandeur! It's gonna be... AWESOME!!

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-22 4:46 pm   Permalink

Any idea when it's going to open?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-22 5:00 pm   Permalink

Good news Holden!
This thread title is very misrepresentive of the subject.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackskeleton
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-22 5:38 pm   Permalink

So that's why the yardsale never happened.

At least it gets a good home. I look forward to going there. Make it a Clifton's/Trader Vic's two-fer.

View Profile of tikijackskeleton Send a personal message to tikijackskeleton      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-22 8:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-22 17:38, tikijackskeleton wrote:
I look forward to going there. Make it a Clifton's/Trader Vic's two-fer.

Oh Yeah! I fergot about that! Now that will be fun!

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-22 8:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-22 17:00, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Good news Holden!

Sorry about that guys, I had just read the news while I was eating lunch and posted it via my mobile. Wanted to share the news.

Mahalo

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2013-03-22 9:02 pm   Permalink

Here's another article, this one from Zagat (Blog). Similar content but a more appropriate title:
Bahooka's Tiki Decor Goes to Clifton's Cafeteria Downtown

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-22 9:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-22 20:54, CincyTikiCraig wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-03-22 17:00, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Good news Holden!

Sorry about that guys, I had just read the news while I was eating lunch and posted it via my mobile. Wanted to share the news.

Mahalo

Aloha CincyTikiCraig!

Don't sweat it... the title is accurate enough, and intriguing! It's not like you said BAHOOKA REOPENS!!!! or anything like that.

I wouldn't have known the specifics if you hadn't started the thread!

And I'm sure it generated interest! Plus, it's an interesting topic, in any event!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation