FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Bahooka To Be Reborn!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Bahooka To Be Reborn!
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-23 09:15 am   Permalink

Can hardly wait to see all of this!

(being that I was on Tiki Iniki during the last days of Bahooka)

[ This Message was edited by: RevBambooBen 2013-03-23 09:17 ]

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-23 12:09 pm   Permalink

I hope they install the bahooka sign in there somewhere as part of the decor...

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-24 10:42 am   Permalink

wow, that's fantastic! Holden, can you tease us with some vague details on timing of the opening? It goes without saying that we can't wait to see what you guys are designing for the muggery. ; )

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-26 04:22 am   Permalink

I think that it's great news! My wife never got a chance to see Bahooka, and now it won't be scattered into 100 different basement bars throughout southern California, but retained in 1 piece for everyone.

View Profile of TikiTie Send a personal message to TikiTie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-26 9:52 pm   Permalink

Is the opening not until Christmas?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-30 6:16 pm   Permalink

A comprehensive article about the Bahooka and it's closing

Themepark Adventure: Bahooka
or
http://themeparkadventure.com/bahooka-farewell-and-aloha-to-you/#more-5239'

So the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, CA offered Rufus a home for free?

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackskeleton
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-31 01:32 am   Permalink

The writer of that article sounds like a giant douche. They act as if Bahooka or the family owed them an explanation as to why not to open up on the Sunday. For anyone who waited till the very last day to go to Bahooka and say their goodbye. They got what they deserved.

View Profile of tikijackskeleton Send a personal message to tikijackskeleton      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-31 06:53 am   Permalink

The article by Rick West turns from a recap of Bahooka history,into an ignorant editorial attack on how a family is supposed to run "THEIR" business!!! Thortiki

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-31 08:16 am   Permalink

Sorry, but I disagree. From a managerial perspective, the writer is absolutely correct when he says:

"You plan accordingly, and have a fully-stocked restaurant and bar for all of your customers. Family members show up and walk around to the tables, work the line and thank guests personally. And as you enter your last hour of operation, you give just a little more to your final loyal patrons – you don’t charge for the last round, you bring shots to each table, and you go out with a bang! Not a whimper and sob story about how exhausting it is to have an extremely busy restaurant and quit before your posted date because you simply can’t do it anymore!"

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-31 10:13 am   Permalink

"Bahooka To Be Reborn"
This is great news.

And on Bahooka closing early I would guess they really did not want to.
I grew up in a family that was in the restaurant biz and I can tell you the restaurant CAME FIRST.
And the CUTOMERS CAME FIRST.
My mom had a heart attack and called in the meat order before she called for help.
And when she needed a double by pass we closed 1 hour early to go be with her before the
surgery, well a regular came to the door as we were leaving and was sooo upset that
she could not get her milkshake that she was NEVER coming back.
She came back the next day and the next and so on, I hated her, she still got great service
because the customer comes first, But I had hoped we would never see her again.

When my mom died we had the funeral on the weekend because we had to open on Monday
so that B!(%$# could get her milkshake. ( but then we did get two days to get over her death)
On Monday people who did not know would come in and ask "how's your mom" this went on for months.
It was so hard to deal with.

I have many more good and bad stories like that, but that is how it works in these family type places.
You can't just close, you can't take vacations, You can't get sick! (who would do your job?)
So If they closed I would bet they felt they had to.

Thank you to all those families who give up their lives heart and soul so we can
come and enjoy their hospitality and forget about our woes, as we sit and eat drink
at your restaurant and plan our next vacation.
We will send you a postcard because we know where you will be,
at work.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-31 11:11 am   Permalink

That's all very true and it is the same if you are in a band or orchestra and have a gig...if you can't give enough notice, sorry, but you have to do the gig no matter what because it goes beyond you personally..there are other people depending on you. Once, I had a gig at the Galaxy, pre-sold, headlining. The drummer's dad died that morning and sure enough, he was there to play the gig that night. We as a band had no choice, and he was a pro and wouldn't let anyone down despite a very personal tragedy.

Now, I don't know much about the Bahooka or who worked there, but surely they had a manager that was not part of the family....if the family had some horrible medical emergency at the very least the manager should take over and keep things running.

Just seems to me weird how they did things the way they did. I think in general, the writer of that article was correct. Lots of people drove very far to get there for that final day. I am glad I wasn't one of them. There might be circumstances that occurred that we are not privy to, but in general, you don't just cut and run when you own a business. You tie up all loose ends and go out in style, just as the writer said.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-31 12:41 pm   Permalink

All true I can see both sides really.
When I had the place I wanted to be there on the posted hours.
Hate places that you go to and they are sometimes open sometimes not.
But then they soon go out of biz.

Knew a girl who worked for the state of Ohio, she took a day off because her
hair dryer broke.
Dam they don't know how good they got it.

Plus on the last day of the Kahiki THAT'S when the stuff really walked out the door.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-31 3:08 pm   Permalink

To me, both sides are wrong. There's no reason to jump to "poor Bahooka's" defense, just as it is wrong to get pissy about their erratic canceling of their last day events:

As long as have been going to Bahooka, the owners always did what they felt like, anyway. They were very much like other old timer Tiki veterans I have encountered over the years - a bit ornery, in a "take it or leave it"- way, not really too concerned about what you thought a service industry business SHOULD act like.

Bahooka was a place one loved in spite of the fact that that love might not necessarily be returned.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-31 4:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-31 01:32, tikijackskeleton wrote:
The writer of that article sounds like a giant douche. They act as if Bahooka or the family owed them an explanation as to why not to open up on the Sunday. For anyone who waited till the very last day to go to Bahooka and say their goodbye. They got what they deserved.

Now that is just wrong, Since many of us planned to be there on the last Sunday
from the moment the closing became public knowledge, it was planned & coordinated with the Bahooka owners

I knew about a lot of the drama going on behind the scenes & just knew a few day's prior that
the last Sunday was not going to happen, though I was not told as such
I have just worked in to many restaurants in my day to not see it going down the way it did.

Would I have done it that way if I was running the place, absolutely not!
I think the owners just gave up at some point before the planned closing & wanted it to be done with.

Did they owe us? not really & it is unfair to have expected such.
but sure would be nice to have gone out with a bang!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackskeleton
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-31 7:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Did they owe us? not really & it is unfair to have expected such.
but sure would be nice to have gone out with a bang!

This is the important part and the main reason why I call that "journalist" a douche. Bahooka's didn't owe use anything. They're a business and they gave us ample warning leading up to it. He complains about it being cash only, about food shortages. So far as to imply that the place, which was going to close up in a few days, ordered more food supplies even though it was unknown how much of that was going to be used.

I went a good dozen times from the moment it was announced to that weekend it did close. I was planning to go on Sunday, but you know what, I had my moments to say goodbye. Besides that, the place was getting picked over pretty cleanly. The front entrance already was missing a lot of the kitsch that made it Bahookas.

How many times did the tiki central event get canceled and uncanceled? It was going to be a shit show. And if you were waiting for the final 11th hour to show up to it and get your last taste, you clearly didn't want to see it badly enough.

If this sounds like a Bahooka's apologist, fine. But it's annoying when people were demanding that the family sold it to someone who wanted to keep the place going exactly the same or to insist that they couldn't sell it at all. They act as if this business was owned by them and not by the family, who could and did decide to close up when they wanted to.

View Profile of tikijackskeleton Send a personal message to tikijackskeleton      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation