[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Ceilings
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Ceilings
Longboard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-26 1:36 pm   Permalink

Bamboo Ben made a comment in the " finding tiki" blog about the ceilings at Trader Sam's being sparse.

I think of of all the things done in a Tiki build that the ceilings are the most over looked part of a room. In fact, I'd say it can make or break a Room.

Nothing worst than having a great room and then look up and see a white ceiling.

I'd love to see your ideas and ways that you came up with a solution to this problem, because lets face it. It's a pain in the ass to work above your head and and it is such a large space to deal with.

So, what are some ways to tackle the problem?

View Profile of Longboard Send a personal message to Longboard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-26 8:59 pm   Permalink

For everyone who hasn't seen this yet....

http://tiki.unkrich.com/tiki_hideaway/

[ This Message was edited by: revbambooben 2013-03-27 08:12 ]

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-26 9:11 pm   Permalink

Check out Monkeyman's South Pacific room.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=35684&forum=20&149

[ This Message was edited by: El Jefe 2013-03-26 21:12 ]

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Longboard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-27 07:59 am   Permalink

Thanks El Jefe, that's a way cool room.

I think people would agree that the ceiling especially in this case makes all the difference.

Loved the beam he routed out, wow

View Profile of Longboard Send a personal message to Longboard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-27 08:44 am   Permalink

Here's a recent ceiling done in a private home tiki bar/lounge. The ceiling is acoustical tile that has many little holes in it that the heat and a/c breath through so it couldn't be covered up with matting or even painted heavy. So I painted it black did a Bamboo Ben Grid. With the right lighting ( those pics not ready yet) it'll just drop out. Ceiling is almost 12' high.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-27 08:54 am   Permalink

p.s. Ceilings are my pet peeve besides "anything white" in a tiki room/bar/lounge. Next time any of you are at the World Famous Frankie's Tiki Room in Las Vegas ( only tiki bar in the world open 24/7/365 , check out how many things are going on up on the ceiling. I did that to help create a feeling of separate rooms all in the same room with no giant walls in your face. p.s.s. don't get me started...

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

Longboard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-27 09:24 am   Permalink

What can I say folks, Bamboo Ben is the King Kong of Tiki.

The rest of us mortals struggle with trying to even come close.

Anyone else have some do and don't do tips? (besides just hiring Ben)

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-27 1:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-27 08:44, RevBambooBen wrote:

You know, I was trying REALLY HARD not to put a roof on my home bar. But nope, seeing that photo, just don't think I can get away with not doing it. Darnit!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-27 3:00 pm   Permalink

THAT IS IT! I'm tearing out the ceiling in my living room and going full tiki. this thread has finally pushed me into action!

And PS - Ben, I couldn't see the ceiling at Frankies! It was too dark!

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-27 3:14 pm   Permalink

Ben that ceiling is awesome. I look forward to seeing the photos with the lighting you spoke about. Can you talk about some of the basics of your ceiling designs? Thanks.

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-27 3:18 pm   Permalink

This is Mark Holt's tiki room. His ceiling is less than 8' so I used smaller dia. Bamboo so it wouldn't boink me on the head ( I'm 6'1" ) . It still get's the point across.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-27 7:51 pm   Permalink

There's a ceiling in Mark's room? I didn't notice. All I saw were all the liquor bottles in the lower right. HAHA

Wish I had some suggestions or tips, but alas, my ceiling is still white. However, I should be given a wee bit of a break since it is actually my office and nobody is in there except me. Plus it is still in development.

Actually Ben I love the thinner bamboo with the the matting behind it. It gives me an idea that I can use in my office.

This could easily turn into a very festive thread.

Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-27 9:40 pm   Permalink

I count myself lucky to have seen Monkeyman's and Mark's ceilings and they are fabulous. I agree Longboard, a white lid is not good.

BB...I have my huge piece of tapa rolled on a tube in storage right now. Eventually that is what will cover the ceiling and the BB bamboo grid is my goal. I also would like a half round of bamboo around the perimeter with some lighting inside. Might not happen for a year or two, but plenty of time for me to plan.

All you guys that have the skill and talent to do your own ceilings are so lucky, they are such an accomplishment!!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-27 9:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-27 19:51, littlegiles wrote:
There's a ceiling in Mark's room? I didn't notice. All I saw were all the liquor bottles in the lower right. HAHA

If I left it white it would distract from all the art!!!

You HAVE TO do the entire room.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-27 9:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-27 15:00, VanTiki wrote:

And PS - Ben, I couldn't see the ceiling at Frankies! It was too dark!

Henrik "VanTiki"

Van! You weren't drunk enough!!!;)

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation