FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tiki Island Bar & Lounge, Corona, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki Island Bar & Lounge, Corona, CA (restaurant)
kenbo-jitsu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-03 12:39 pm   Permalink

Name: Tiki Island Bar & Lounge
Type: Restaurant
Street: 100 N Lincoln Ave
City: Corona
State: CA
Zip: 92882
Phone: (951) 737-0227
http://www.tikiislandbar.com

[ This Message was edited by: kenbo-jitsu 2014-02-28 17:49 ]

View Profile of kenbo-jitsu Send a personal message to kenbo-jitsu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kenbo-jitsu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-03 12:45 pm   Permalink

A friend of mine got a special offer for this place (from LivingSocial or some such thing) and, knowing that I like tiki, asked me about it. I had never heard of it so I had to investigate. It's basically a sports bar that serves food. The location used to be called, "Chronic Tacos". A Yelp reviewer says, "... it looks bare inside like they took down all the Chronic Taco stuff and just put up a couple Hawaiian decorations".

Yelp has some photos so you can judge for yourself.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/tiki-island-bar-and-lounge-corona

View Profile of kenbo-jitsu Send a personal message to kenbo-jitsu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-03 1:45 pm   Permalink

Yea....I don't think this place counts as Tiki.

A lot of Hawaiian themed places popping up around here but
no winners as of yet.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LostIsland
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-16 4:46 pm   Permalink

Decided to eat there tomorrow and see if it's as un-Tiki as the photos seem. I'll report back with a review of the interior as well as the food and drink offerings.

View Profile of LostIsland Send a personal message to LostIsland  Goto the website of LostIsland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
A Frame
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-17 10:01 am   Permalink

It was last a Chronic Taco location and before that a Cask n' Cleaver. I drive by on the 91 everyday and walked in once. Other than the name, there's not much "Tiki" at Tiki Island...

View Profile of A Frame Send a personal message to A Frame      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-17 2:00 pm   Permalink

Constable Tiki, deems this location "Not Tiki!"

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LostIsland
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-17 3:31 pm   Permalink

Getting ready to head over there now. Trying to think of a non-offensive way of saying "Add more tiki or change your name". Places like this cast a horrible shadow over real tiki joints when visited by folks that don't know any better. Hopefully I can work in some comments that might encourage them to put in a little more effort instead of barely phoning it in...

View Profile of LostIsland Send a personal message to LostIsland  Goto the website of LostIsland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-17 8:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-17 10:01, A Frame wrote:
It was last a Chronic Taco location and before that a Cask n' Cleaver. I drive by on the 91 everyday and walked in once. Other than the name, there's not much "Tiki" at Tiki Island...

Cask and the Cleaver use to have The Best Squaw Bread around!!! Use to hit the one up in Fountain Valley.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-17 10:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-17 20:28, RevBambooBen wrote:

Cask and the Cleaver use to have The Best Squaw Bread around!!! Use to hit the one up in Fountain Valley.

[/quote]Rev, Quinn's in Tustin serves some very tasty squaw bread. On a Sunday morning it doesn't get much better than scarfing down an order of corn beef hash and s. b. washed down with a spicy Bloody Mary- did I mention that they have a full bar? Quite a selection of whiskie's and bourbons and a very talented barkeep named Carrie who might be able to locate a bottle of Bud for you. Sorry to derail your thread Kenbo-It was Ben's fault
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 1:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-17 22:04, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-07-17 20:28, RevBambooBen wrote:

Rev, Quinn's in Tustin serves some very tasty squaw bread. On a Sunday morning it doesn't get much better than scarfing down an order of corn beef hash and s. b. washed down with a spicy Bloody Mary- did I mention that they have a full bar? Quite a selection of whiskie's and bourbons and a very talented barkeep named Carrie who might be able to locate a bottle of Bud for you. Sorry to derail your thread Kenbo-It was Ben's fault
Cheers
[/quote]

Hahaha!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-19 5:53 pm   Permalink

ATP if it says Tiki it must be Tiki, as many have learned the hard way,

Bosko

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-19 9:15 pm   Permalink

arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-21 08:10 am   Permalink

Uh oh. LostIsland said he'd report back, and that was four days ago. I fear he demanded more tikis and they took him out. Someone start dredging Lake Mathews!

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kenbo-jitsu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-22 2:34 pm   Permalink

I see that Tiki Island has been working on their web site. None of the links work so I guess it's not done yet, but there are a couple photos now.

Looks like the TV sets outnumber the tikis.

Has anybody heard of Mucho Aloha beer? I guess you could call it a cold fusion.

LostIsland
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-31 5:53 pm   Permalink

Well, it has been a few days, but it wasn't because I had taken up residence with Lake Matthews' fishes (well played Arriano!). Truth is, I took a couple photos of their menu on a friends device, now they're having trouble getting them emailed to me. I was going to wait until I get them, but since I don't know when that might be I'd better check back before I forget....

I did go in the afternoon so it's hard to really judge what the ambiance might be at night, but it looked just like the average bar and grill type joint. Upon entry I was initially met by what I was kind of expecting....a sports bar. There was a sign saying to seat yourselves, so we did. A minute or to after we sit a server comes over to bring us menus. A nice young lady, but no sign of Tiki or polynesia on her. I told her we'd need a minute and she went elsewhere.

It was after I got my menu and was sitting that I started actually looking around. There isn't a lot of Tiki or Hawaiian decorations, but what there was, was pretty decent stuff. That being said, Kenbo-jitsu mentioned that it looked like the TVs outnumbered the Tikis, unfortunately they probably did. There was around 20 TVs and while the Tiki purists scream at the presence of a TV, you have to realize that in this area a "pure" Tiki joint would go out of business in 6 months. I would love to see a "real" Tiki joint so close down the freeway. However most of the folks who go to the spots around here are just regular blue collar folk who don't specifically dig tiki but just want a place to have a pretty girl serve them a beer while they watch the game. The problem is, when your decorations and theming is as played down as it is in this place, the 20 TV's kind of tend to dominate the visual. Another distraction was this cardboard Kona Brewing Company display over in the corner. While most of the promotional type Kona Brewing Company stuff they had strewn about the place (and there was quite a bit) was pretty nice stuff, this cardboard thing kind of seemed unnecessary. There were also a few sizable Corona signs that seemed to be a better fit for Margaritaville or someth..

"Derick!"

"DERICK!"

Huh?!

"Are you ready to order?..."

Yeah, I'll have the uh, nachos and the chiiiicken taco platter..

"And to drink?.."

Oh, yeah, let's see....hmmmmm? Do you make Zombies?

"I'll check..."

I guess I could have one of those Mango Mai Tais.....

"We do, but we're out of 151.."

Mango Mai Tai it is..

.....Anyway, like I was saying, those Corona signs looked more like Margaritaville decorations than tiki, but I don't want to start that discussion back up here. Another thing about this place is that it's all windows. It was WAY too bright in there for my liking.

It has a lot of space in the rafters that's just painted black and not used. The place has a lot of potential and if what we're seeing is just the beginning then I'll just have to wait and see. Properly outfitting a "real" Tiki joint can cost a fortune. The sheer volume of decorations often employed to create the desired atmosphere is staggering. It sometimes seems unfair to judge a new joint against a place that has been building up artifacts and decorations for 50 years or so. Hopefully these folks plan on adding to these decorations as time goes on. Some shades or tint on those windows, subdued lighting, various flotsam and jetsam incorporated into the ceiling and last but definitely not least, a more creative Tiki inspired drink menu.

The "Mango Mai Tai" was made with mango flavored rum and was a bit too sweet. It was OK but not impressive. The food however was pretty good. Actually it was a lot better than I expected. There were a couple offerings on the menu that were more Tiki-ish, but the Nachos as well as the chicken taco platter were fairly typical of the type of dishes on the menu. The food and service were surprisingly good. The prices were good. If this is just a sign of things to come I think they are certainly worth a look for anyone in the area looking for a slightly Tiki-ish experience.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation