FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Rum Dog's Tiki Cactus Garden project for Mojave Oasis
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Rum Dog's Tiki Cactus Garden project for Mojave Oasis
Rum Dog
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-03 9:58 pm   Permalink

Thought I would document the final tiki cactus I am making for Mojave Oasis. This is an easy project that anyone can do, especially for those who live in desert communities who want to mix tiki with elements of their local environment.

First step is to go to your local box store and buy a 6 inch wide drain pipe with connectors.

Second is to cut and connect.

Next step is to paper mache and add some tikiness.

View Profile of Rum Dog Send a personal message to Rum Dog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-04 06:00 am   Permalink

Cool cactus concept Rum Dog! You gonna make it so it comes apart for transport?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-04 2:16 pm   Permalink

lol more cool Mojave stuff!

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-04 3:49 pm   Permalink

Can't wait to see pictures of your cactus project finished!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-04 4:33 pm   Permalink

Loving this. Can't wait to see more. Cool idea Rum Dog.

Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Dog
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-04 4:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-04 06:00, MadDogMike wrote:
Cool cactus concept Rum Dog! You gonna make it so it comes apart for transport?

I make them so they come apart at the base only so that the cactus part looks seamless. (They really don't even need a base if you make them to have have part of the drain pipe buried in the ground). Yes, having them intact will make it more difficult to get them all (I made 4)out to Mojave. I am not going to rent another U-Haul truck. I will see if it all fits into my SUV this weekend. If I have trouble I will see if anyone at the Internation Marketplace who is coming to Mojave & has some extra room in their vehicle can help me out.

Thanks Amy, Lori, and Dale.

The final product will be revealed in a little more than a week when I return from Mojave.

View Profile of Rum Dog Send a personal message to Rum Dog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Dog
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-04 4:53 pm   Permalink

Next I take off the top part of the pipe and work on creating some tikiness. I use some cheap pool float sticks and cut them to get some shape. Also use alot of Duct tape.

I use a $5 wall paper paste as my glue for the paper mache.

Re-attach to see how this looks from a distance. The openings of the pipe at the top will be holders for tiki torches.

Mad Dog Mike, I had you in mind when I was thinking up this cactus tiki. This one will eventually be a cannibal cactus when its complete. When I am done using it for my Tiki Cactus Garden camp site it is yours. It will be a nice decoration next to your cool Cannibal trailer for future travels.

Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-05 1:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

You know, if the cactus project does not work out, you can make one hell oh a potato cannon out of it!

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Dog
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-07 08:43 am   Permalink

More paper mache and use of pool noodle foam.

Then use some rope to create more definition. Give the arms some bumps to make it less drain pipe looking.

littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-07 08:51 am   Permalink

I love where this is headed. Great use of papermache. I have never worked with that other than as a kid covering a balloon. You really are working some magic on that piece.

Thanks for sharing the steps.

Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Dog
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-09 9:28 pm   Permalink

I put on a final layer of paper mache using Kirkland brand paper towels from Costco. I like its texture.

I first tried using some wall texture spray but I didn’t like how it took the paint.

What I found that worked better was using some old paint that I had in the garage and mixing in a boatload of sand into it.

This created the texture and consistency I was looking for.

For final coloring I just used some 99 cent bottles of paint from arts & crafts section of Wallmart and mixed them together with some water until I found a combination to my liking.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-09 9:33 pm   Permalink

The sneak previews are lookin cool RumDog. Im not sure that cactus will fit in my little trailer though

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-09 9:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-07 08:43, Rum Dog wrote:

You have a really nice workshop there! Remarkably clean.
Cool concept as well. I predict some fire...

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gwen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-10 09:11 am   Permalink

I am really enjoying your thread. Fun to see it coming together from scratch like this...

View Profile of Gwen Send a personal message to Gwen  Goto the website of Gwen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Dog
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-16 10:37 am   Permalink

To make the bases I use an empty pretzel container from Costco.

More duck tape and pool noodle to make the shape.

Papermache the exterior and fill the container about 3/4 full of quickcrete cement.
Put a piece of drain pipe so that it sticks out about three inches out of the top. (this is not shown in the photo)

Here is the finished base with the pipe sticking out.

I used a rock finish spray paint and 99 cent craft paint to color the rock bases.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation