FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music What should a tiki band play?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
What should a tiki band play?
Tele295
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-04-12 9:45 pm   Permalink

Funny you should mention Exotiki - that's my pal, Jeff Ross on manouche guitar

For sure there are some Django tunes that would work, like Manoir de Mes Reves and Oriental Shuffle.

My petite Bouche is a Gitane DG300. It has served me well, although I'd love to have an AJL or a Shopis

View Profile of Tele295 Send a personal message to Tele295  Goto the website of Tele295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-14 10:30 am   Permalink

I will agree with posts already mentioned. I am looking forward to Ven-Tiki lounge opening. It will be Tiki a little closer to home.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tele295

Posted: 2013-04-15 6:43 pm   Permalink

No tiki bar in Pismo or Morro? That seems like a crying shame. Can't go to McLintocks every night!

View Profile of Tele295 Send a personal message to Tele295  Goto the website of Tele295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Cowboys
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-16 7:15 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

I like to play ukulele, and my band, TIKI COWBOYS plays Island~Americana songs about Surf, Sand, Sun and/or Wood to keep things Tiki-ish in the broadest sense of the Tiki genre!

Check out our original sound at:
www.tikicowboys.com

View Profile of Tiki Cowboys Send a personal message to Tiki Cowboys  Goto the website of Tiki Cowboys     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mateotiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-18 9:48 pm   Permalink

If you're serious about doing this, I've found that an average audience composed of non-musicians responds most favorably to tunes with which they're familiar. If you took a popular song well known to them (and this depends on the age group) like, say, Guns 'n Roses' "Welcome To The Jungle", then Hawaiianize or Exoticize it, you're likely to get a little participation from them. You might even get some compliments. Otherwise, you're just one step above being Sonic Wallpaper and you've spent all of that time and effort learning involved arrangements for nothing.

[ This Message was edited by: Mateotiki 2013-04-18 21:52 ]

View Profile of Mateotiki Send a personal message to Mateotiki  Email Mateotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-24 8:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-15 18:43, Tele295 wrote:
No tiki bar in Pismo or Morro? That seems like a crying shame. Can't go to McLintocks every night!

Ha! No McLintocks . It is a crying shame though. As far as Tiki bars is concerned there's nothing in Pismo. San Luis Obispo has a bar called Creeky Tiki, but I would not categorize it as a Tiki bar. More of a surf pub with a few Tikis. Morro Bay has the Harbor Hut, but its not quite the same after the remodel a few years back.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimon

Posted: 2013-04-24 11:58 pm   Permalink

Try Renn Loren & the Hawaii Project's 50th State of Mind for something quite different.... Exotica Rock, The Doors go tropical/exotica....

You can find it on Spotify.

If you like it simply email me and I'll send you the MP3s.

View Profile of tikimon Send a personal message to tikimon  Email tikimon Goto the website of tikimon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation