FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Magazine
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tiki Magazine
robbie_silver

Posted: 2013-04-09 08:47 am   Permalink

It seems like a long time since the last issue came in the mail. The website says the current issue is Fall/Winter. On Facebook there is a comment noting the Winter issue was cancelled - not sure if that is correct. Anyone have any insight?

View Profile of robbie_silver Send a personal message to robbie_silver      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-04-09 08:49 am   Permalink

The new magazine was just released this Saturday at the International Tiki Marketplace so yours should be in the mail soon.

Here's what it looks like. Dawn Frasier did the cover.

[ This Message was edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-04-09 08:53 ]

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-09 9:52 pm   Permalink

I can hardly wait to get mine. Congrats to Dawn on the cover...it looks beautiful!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole Jim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-13 10:58 pm   Permalink

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

New issue coming! Yoo hoo, waiter, another hot monkey dog with a delicate yet spicy mustard, sesame seed bun, tomato, onions and a more couple beers!

View Profile of Haole Jim Send a personal message to Haole Jim      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-14 10:19 am   Permalink

You can also send Tiki magazine an e-mail and ask when the issue will be mailed out. But it should be in the mail soon if not already.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martian-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-04-14 10:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-09 08:49, tikilongbeach wrote:
The new magazine was just released this Saturday at the International Tiki Marketplace so yours should be in the mail soon.

Here's what it looks like. Dawn Frasier did the cover.

People may be interested that the artist was interviewed in the below video
at 3:13

Quote:

On 2013-04-07 23:35, chrisandsarahb wrote:
Lost In Paradise: International Tiki Marketplace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-wOql78hc4

View Profile of martian-tiki Send a personal message to martian-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-14 10:51 pm   Permalink

Got mine at Trader Morts and used the coupon inside, sweet...

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-14 11:42 pm   Permalink

Great interview with Chris and "cover girl" Dawn...you both did great. Wow...over 400 people, how exciting. Thanks for posting the link MT.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-20 08:57 am   Permalink

WOW!!! One of the best ever issues of Tiki Magazine for layout, content & photography. Sorry to hear that Nick Camara is stepping down as Editor/Publisher, but Amy Boylan/Tonga Hut taking over sounds exciting. Thortiki

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-20 10:05 am   Permalink

I agree Thortiki. Very cool layout. All the best to Nick. Amy Taking over should be pretty cool .

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-20 5:55 pm   Permalink

Aloha Tiki Magazine Readers!

Thank you for your lovely comments about the latest issue. We are so glad you are enjoying it! Nick Camara and his crew are already working on the next issue, due out in August. (Yes, just in time for Tiki Oasis!) The August (Fall/Winter) 2013 issue will be the last issue with Nick at the helm, and we promise that it will be unforgettable and highly collectible, packed with interesting stories, inspiring pictures and rum-scented fun.

The talented Queen Kamehameha (Amy Boylan) will take over after that issue, and I know she has some wonderful things she will add to the magazine that you've known, loved and coveted since 2005. 2005? I KNOW! (Channeling Charles Phoenix.) Yes! Tiki Magazine has been around since 2005! Well done, I say!

Mahalo for being such loyal and supportive readers. I'm not kidding when I say that we do it for you. Putting out a professional, printed magazine in this day and age isn't always a walk on Waikiki, if you know what I mean. A LOT goes into it that most people don't know about. Nick, Jonpaul, Matt and I have been brainstorming, interviewing, typing and photographing all these years because we truly love Tiki. Just like you, we feel it deserves documentation and celebration -- and we believe, with all our hearts, in the aloha spirit. We hope you feel that with every issue you've gleefully read.

I won't speak for the boys, but for myself, I will say that I am a little misty-eyed to see the first era of Tiki Magazine come to a close, but so very happy that it is going to continue into its next incarnation. During the past few years, all of us in the Tiki community have been awe-struck with Amy's transformation of the Tonga Hut bar, the creation of her imaginative outdoor Tiki escape, "Mojave Oasis", as well as the great parties she has thrown. I'm sure she will do excellent things for Tiki Magazine, as well.

~ Kari Hendler
Assistant Editor, Tiki Magazine

[ This Message was edited by: tangaroa-ru 2013-04-21 15:20 ]

View Profile of Tangaroa-Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa-Ru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2013-04-30 11:41 am   Permalink

"Tiki Magazine and More"?! What more do we need? Please don't turn it into another tattoo/hot rod rag.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-05 2:45 pm   Permalink

Still getting mmisdirected request for the signed and numbered lithograph of the cover art. Its availabloe HERE.http://fallingcocos.bigcartel.com/product/tiki-magazine-spring-2013-cover-art

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pa1

Posted: 2013-05-18 09:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-30 11:41, White Devil wrote:
"Tiki Magazine and More"?! What more do we need? Please don't turn it into another tattoo/hot rod rag.

Agreed! Spring 2013 was my first issue of Tiki Magazine, and I was so excited to get it.

But I was so disappointed how much it seemed like a hot rod mag; even the Dream Wahine seemed a little dumb to me. (And I'm a young male, if that says anything.).

The art, layout, quality of features: amazing.

But tattoo / hot rod culture; there are already lots of magazines for that. I'd rather it go in a cruise / vacation direction, if I must expand somewhere for revenue.

To me, tiki is tribal art, lush tropical landscapes, mid-century architecture and "escape to paradise," not pompadours, barroom rockabilly and pink-plastic flamingo kitsch!

My (meager) two cents!

[ This Message was edited by: Pa1 2013-05-18 09:37 ]

View Profile of Pa1 Send a personal message to Pa1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2013-05-23 12:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:
To me, tiki is tribal art, lush tropical landscapes, mid-century architecture and "escape to paradise," not pompadours, barroom rockabilly and pink-plastic flamingo kitsch!

You nailed it.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation