FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tiki Magazine
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tiki Magazine
Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-22 06:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-21 17:09, TU wrote:
Is there a source for the back issues of Tiki Mag? I ordered the only 2 available from the website and ebay doesn't seem to have a lot. Wouldn't it be groovy if the back issues were available digitally! I just started picking it up at the local magazine rack and now I want to collect them all.

Soon.....

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TU
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-23 05:20 am   Permalink

Grog, you crack me up.

View Profile of TU Send a personal message to TU      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-11 4:02 pm   Permalink

Hi All, I just wanted to give you an update on the magazine. Although it seems like I have not been working on it, I most certainly have been. We are excited to get this issue out.

The New Edition is scheduled for December 2013, It will be digital and print. We will also be putting all the past issues up on ITunes and Google as well.

The New Edition will be called "Tiki Magazine & More, More Articles on Cocktails, More on Mid Century, More on the world outside of California. We have some exciting things planned with some great returning writers and a host of new ones.

At the end of every year we will be putting out an annual of the year in Review. So if you like digital, but want the paper too, this works for you.

I will have subscription info, ad rate info and release info later in the month. If you need to contact me please email me at
exny1@aol.com

I want thank Nick very much for all he's done and we will continue to work together going forward. I hope you all will be happy with expanded direction.

Thank You

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pa1

Posted: 2014-02-28 07:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

For every person who said they didn't like something about Tiki Magazine, there have been ten others who have loved it. You just can't please everyone. We hope, in the past nine years, this magazine has inspired, educated and entertained you. I, personally, hope it made everyone feel that this thing we love called "Tiki" is so valid and cool, it is worthy of its own magazine, because it is. This first incarnation of Tiki Magazine has been totally Nick's vision of what he wanted to do and see, and a few of us were lucky enough to be invited to play in his sandbox. It's been absolutely wonderful. (Okay, maybe not at deadline time, but other than that... pretty damn wonderful.)

I get it. Tiki Magazine was / is an awesome feat! The former owners did an awesome job making it work. And everyone's opinion will vary.

At the same time, just want to voice my (completely personal) feelings about content, and that to me, tiki isn't so much hot-rod, rockabilly babes and general kitsch as tribal art, lush tropical landscapes, mid-century architecture and "escape to paradise."

I can do without the centerfold: unless, as SandraDee says, it's a matchbook collection. And, as a young male, that says a lot about how much I love tiki and the timeless feeling it evokes. If I want a tattoo mag, I have plenty of other options.

To me, tiki is a sacred vibe. An escape from loud barrooms. (Even though there's certainly nothing wrong with a sunset Mai Tai in a tiki bar.)

Although Tiki and "Parrot Head" / Margaritaville culture have some similarities, I'd hate to think the two are coming together in an unholy union of tasteless tropical debauchery with a retro-fitted set (on the Tiki side), and nothing (or little) more.

Tattoos, babes, and rockabilly: the world (and hipsters) can have 'em.

Tiki is timeless paradise.

[ This Message was edited by: Pa1 2014-02-28 08:06 ]

View Profile of Pa1 Send a personal message to Pa1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-28 08:55 am   Permalink

On 2014-02-28 07:54, Pa1 wrote:
Quote:

An escape from loud barrooms.

Man, I totally agree! A nice bar with the sound of rushing water, exotica music, pleasant bar staff... Must ditch work today!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-28 09:45 am   Permalink

When people would come in our restaurant and tell my mom "You know what you should do"
She would say "Buy the place and do whatever the heck you want to"
In a mean hissy tone, Man I miss that.

But Really if the new Tiki mag was limited to such a narrow view of Tiki then
others who like say Hot rods or other tiki stuff, well now yer pissing them off.
Plus you won't have as wide of a customer base.
Walt Disney World’s Enchanted Tiki Room had a talking parrot.
Bahookas plastic parrots sold for $50.00 bucks or more after they went out.
I'll bet there are more Jimmy Buffet fans than there are tiki nuts.
PS I'm not a "Parrot Head".

For the record my brand of tiki sounds a lot like yours Pa1.

I just hope the writers can find their way out of California every now and then
and do stories on tiki round the globe.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pa1

Posted: 2014-02-28 5:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-23 15:51, GROG wrote:
Each magazine is going to be a combination of Tikis and another subject. The first magazine of Tikis and More will be Tikis and Horse & Rider. The next issue will be Tikis and Aviation. The third issue is Tikis and Gaming. Some other subjects down the line include ... Civil War reenactment, Science Fiction, and Greek Mythology.

Ha! It's true you can't please everyone. I liked GROG's idea of Tiki and Civil War Enactment, etc. I guess, to me, tiki is a spell; and one too many "off" elements sort of break it for me. But everyone's definition of "tiki" is going to be necessarily subjective. Although, if one wanted to get purist about it, hot rod / tattoo / pink flamingo / Bettie Page kitsch culture aren't really ground zero of the old mid-century modern / island depictions. And others may say tiki is going to evolve, just like everything else. Etc. etc.

Like I said, just my meager two cents. And you get what you pay for.

[ This Message was edited by: Pa1 2014-02-28 17:38 ]

View Profile of Pa1 Send a personal message to Pa1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-28 5:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-28 17:32, Pa1 wrote:
[ But everyone's definition of "tiki" is going to be necessarily subjective.

[ This Message was edited by: Pa1 2014-02-28 17:38 ]

Here is where I need to point out Tiki is not subjective, it is rooted in a historical period
with a set aesthetic, everything else we include in today's version (which Sven has coined Tiki Style)
is a conglomeration of disparate styles, which did not exist together previously to today's Tiki revival.

But if you're true to recreating the Tiki phenomenon of the 1950s & 60s, you have to adhere to the established
Pop Cultural aesthetic of Tiki as it was defined back then.

Edited for Grog....

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-02-28 20:38 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pa1

Posted: 2014-02-28 6:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Here is where I need to point out Tiki is not subjective, it is rooted in a historical period

Well, I guess you could say I was trying to be political.

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-02-28 8:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-28 17:57, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Edited before Grog see's it!

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-02-28 18:04 ]

Good try ATP, but you still missed one. You put "desperate" when you meant "disparate". ---The Spelling Police.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tavarua Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-28 8:21 pm   Permalink

you go Grog!

View Profile of Tavarua Tiki Send a personal message to Tavarua Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-28 8:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-28 20:16, GROG wrote:
Quote:

On 2014-02-28 17:57, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Edited before Grog see's it!

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-02-28 18:04 ]

Good try ATP, but you still missed one. You put "desperate" when you meant "disparate". ---The Spelling Police.

DAMN! OK I will fix it....I am getting old now.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
richie6
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-07 08:53 am   Permalink

Besides getting a subscription, is there a place to get the magazine? I found it once or twice at a book store, but can't seem to find it anymore.

View Profile of richie6 Send a personal message to richie6      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-07 09:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-07 08:53, richie6 wrote:
Besides getting a subscription, is there a place to get the magazine? I found it once or twice at a book store, but can't seem to find it anymore.

At this time/with the changing of ownership the magazine will only be available at Tonga Hut and Tiki Ti.

They hope to do distribution in the future but when is up in the air.

You will be able to view the magazine online in digital form or if you have a subscription receive a hard copy that way.

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-07 10:52 am   Permalink

Dang, no Barnes and Noble. That how we get it in Hawaii and multi-copies if one has the money.

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation