FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Am I doing this right? Regarding: Blending
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Am I doing this right? Regarding: Blending
Finleyville
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-27 03:44 am   Permalink

My cheap blender just died. My wife chose one of those "Ninja" blenders too. I haven't made any tiki drinks yet but am concerned because this thing is a beast. It has a long shaft with three LEVELS of cutting blades rising all the way to the top of the carafe.

On my old blender I HAD to hand crush the ice first because the blender would only pulverize the bottom 1/2" of the ice and the rest would just sit there and not mix at all. However, now I am afraid that I will not be able to serve these "frozen" tiki drinks because all I will be left with is a watered down drink with no ice to be found anywhere.

I will have to play the pulse game and see if I can duplicate my great results from my cheap blender.

View Profile of Finleyville Send a personal message to Finleyville      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-27 07:09 am   Permalink

Not sure if you want to go to the expense...but if you want to set your self up properly go with a separate ice crusher and a Hamilton Beach mixer. The mixer that looks like you make shakes with. This way you avoid any dilution of the drink, plus you get the correct mixing from a pulse without blades crushing the added ice even more.

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-27 1:19 pm   Permalink

I agree with Tonga Tiki . . .a seperate top-down mixer (with 2 or three speeds) is invaluable for mixing drinks. It beats the heck of a hand shaker, doesn't mangle up the ice too, and gives the drink a nice froth on top. Also, a seperate ice crusher is MUST - don't rely on a general blender to crush ice properly. When I make 'frozen' colada-type drinks, I crush the ice first in my Waring Pro ice crusher then blend the drink in my blender. The key: SEPARATES!

GENT

[ This Message was edited by: GentleHangman 2013-04-27 13:22 ]

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-28 03:10 am   Permalink

The Waring pro is what I use. You can buy it on Amazon.

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-29 10:15 am   Permalink

I have a Ninja and it works great for crushing ice and I've had no problems with it watering down drinks. Since the Ninja has the "tower of blades", you don't have to be so careful about adding crushed ice. You can use cubes and it crushes them to whatever consistency you like so quickly that you don't have to worry about over-dilution.

I bought an extra pitcher, and I can use that just for crushed ice when needed.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation