FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Rebuilding the Pu'uhonua Bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Rebuilding the Pu'uhonua Bar
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-18 07:57 am   Permalink

Really looking swank so far!

Love that day bed and the handpainted bar looks great as well.

Looking forward to more posts as you progress on the build

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-18 09:16 am   Permalink

Definitely cool! Kinda Tiki meets Martini. Love the colors, the hand-painted accents & those bamboo shutters. Please, keep us updated.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-18 09:39 am   Permalink

Beautiful!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thurston Howell IV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-18 3:40 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement guys and gals. I forgot to add one other photo of a pool bench I made recently out of an old windsurfer board bought for $15 at the local recycle centre. Total cost was about $40 and it looks and works a treat.

Thurston out.

View Profile of Thurston Howell IV Send a personal message to Thurston Howell IV  Email Thurston Howell IV     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thurston Howell IV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-19 6:49 pm   Permalink

The bar side, front and top are finished. I added some bamboo trim to add a little exotica to the design. I think it works.

The top is made from a pack of floating floor boards and I scattered some themed stickers over the surface. Here's a pic of a couple - a Shag and Bubba's Burgers Kauai. Bubba's motto is "We relish your buns". And also "we cheat tourists, drunks and attorneys". Love it.

The next item on the list is to clean up the mess I've made so the bar can be fixed to its corner spot.

After that I need to finish the bar sign that will hang just behind and then get on to restoring a couple of cane bar stools. A shelf will sit high behind the bar to display some tiki mugs and whatever seems to fit the theme.

[ This Message was edited by: Thurston Howell IV 2013-04-19 18:51 ]

View Profile of Thurston Howell IV Send a personal message to Thurston Howell IV  Email Thurston Howell IV     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-19 7:14 pm   Permalink

I think the bar turned out great!

Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thurston Howell IV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-19 11:51 pm   Permalink

After a little cleaning the Pu'uhonua bar is in it's new home.

Stools and sign are next.

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-20 8:54 pm   Permalink

Yes, the bar did turn out nice. Not a fan of the Bubba burger...have had much better, but gotta try it once.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thurston Howell IV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-21 12:10 am   Permalink

Thanks folks for the thumbs up. I keep wanting to tinker with the finish on the bar but after reading Big Kahuna's comment, "its tiki meets martini" I think I'll stay the hand and leave it minimal. Like they say less is moai.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-21 11:33 am   Permalink

Killer.....

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimbo020
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-21 3:48 pm   Permalink

Looking great. I love the colors and original artwork. Mary Ann would be impressed...

View Profile of jimbo020 Send a personal message to jimbo020      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thurston Howell IV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-21 6:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-21 15:48, jimbo020 wrote:
Looking great. I love the colors and original artwork. Mary Ann would be impressed...

I was actually looking to impress Ginger. Hubba hubba but don't tell Mrs. Howell.

Tikifrog
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-21 10:33 pm   Permalink

Awesome Tiki modern!

View Profile of Tikifrog Send a personal message to Tikifrog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Tex
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-23 5:44 pm   Permalink

All I can say is SWEET!

View Profile of Tiki Tex Send a personal message to Tiki Tex  Email Tiki Tex     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thurston Howell IV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-26 12:19 am   Permalink

Hi folks - here's some more pics showing the bar sign, the restored stools and a large tiki head (hey why the long face). Shame about the photo quality. I'll try and get some better snaps but you'll get the idea.

The shields on either side of the sign are Fijian and the long tiki head is most probably Balinese, locally sourced.

First test run this evening. Free drinks for all Tiki Centralites! I'll save a seat at the bar for you.

THIV out.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation