Joined: Mar 07, 2008
|Posted: 2013-04-17 2:45 pm  Permalink|
Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: April 17, 2013
On this week’s show we once again chose to cast our notional net into the vasty ocean of pop and exotica in all of its efluvial eforvescence to see what we could bring on board.
Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived. Some fans choose to record it on their computers to listen to later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and can be streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9
1) “Friendly Islands” by Don Tiki from their sinful CD: South of the Boudoir.
2) “Reverberasia” (2:09) from the 1957 LP: Skins! Bongo Party With Les Baxter, with vocal interjections by drummer Carlos Vidal.
3) “Heartbeat” and “Dragon,” which was dedicated to Bruce Lee, performed by the genius ukulele master Jake Shimabukuro on his album: Gently Weeps.
4) “Manila,” the Martin Denny composition performed by the Waitiki from their debut album: Charred Mammal Flesh -- Exotic Music for Barbecue, featuring Randy Wong on Bass and Brian O’Neil on Marimba.
5) “Black Orchid,” recorded at the Henry J. Kaiser Aluminum Geodesic Dome in Honolulu and taken from the anthemic anthology: Taboo – The Greatest Hits of Arthur Lyman: The Sensual Sounds of Exotica.
6) “I'll Weave a Lei of Stars for You,” the famed composition by Robert Alex Anderson sung and performed on Steel Guitar by Owana Salazar – the protege of Steel Guitar Master Jerry Byrd -- on her CD: Hula Jazz, featuring Kit Ebersbach on Piano and Noel Akimoto on Vibes and Bongo Drums.
7) “Chateau Leilani” by the Tikiyaki Orchestra from their sandy CD: Aloha, Baby! Including Brian Kassan on Organ, Marty Lush on Vibes and Jim Bacchi on Bongos.
8) “Casa Forte,” By Edu Lobo sung by Helen Merrill on her 1980 album of the same name as the song, Arranged by Her Husband Torrie Zito, who also plays Piano, with Bucky Pizzarelli on Guitar, Sal Nistico on Sax, Urbie Green on Trombone, Francisco Centeno on Electric Bass, Dom Um Romano on Drums and Percussion along with Steve Kroon on Percussion.
9) “Lazy Lover” by the Brazilian Girls from the complexitive compilation: Tommy Bahama Island Paradise, Volume 3.
10) “A Forest,” the song written by the New Wave Rock Band The Cure, performed by Nouvelle Vague from their eponymous debut recording, featuring Marina Celeste on Vocal.
11) “Another Woman,” by Nellie McKay and sung by Lucy Woodward on her CD: Hooked. including Frank Vignola on Electric Guitar and Henry Hey on Piano.
12) “Maria,” the Leonard Bernstein classic from the 1957 Broadway musical: West Side Story, performed by Lalo Schifrin on his 1962 LP: Piano, Strings and Bossa Nova.
13) “Onde Anda Meu Amor” by the Brazilian group BossaCucaNova from their CD: Uma Batida Diferente.
14) “Bondage of the Sea” by The Mermen from their album: Food for Other Fish, with the composer Jim Thomas on Electric Guitar, Allen Whitman on Electric Bass and Martyn Jones on Drums.