FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » How is the Hala Kahiki (IL) doing with the Chicago Flood?
How is the Hala Kahiki (IL) doing with the Chicago Flood?
Tiare
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-19 07:39 am   Permalink

I am from Chicagoland originally and getting reports of my friends/ family having to evacuate homes. I was checking out photos on the Suntimes and saw this one of Gene and Judes hot dogs and remembered that the low lying Hala Kahiki is a few blocks away and then i remembered the river is near by... Here is the photo. Any reports?

http://www.trbimg.com/img-1366313248/turbine/chi-ugc-photo-gene-and-judes-in-river-grove-il-2013-04-18/960

I hope folks in Il are safe and keeping dry.

http://alohatiki.blogspot.com
A sporadically updated blog about tiki, food and stuff.

View Profile of Tiare Send a personal message to Tiare  Goto the website of Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-19 08:44 am   Permalink

There was some stuff on facebook about being closed due to the water level and a few pictures. It doesn't look like the place has been damaged but it's hard to say for sure from the pics.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-19 1:55 pm   Permalink

Same here. I saw those pics on FB and it seemed like the water was still on curb level but from this pic it looks worse. Hope all is well besides the flooding.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Trader
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-20 11:20 am   Permalink

This is not unprecedented for that location. Hala is just up the block but on higher ground than Gene's and Jude's and the intersection in the background. Indeed, there is the requisite flooded Gene's and Jude's photo in a 2008 post to the Hala locating tiki thread:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=17805&forum=2&start=30&hilite=hala%20kahiki

They were okay then. Getting there was the only problem.

TT

View Profile of Tonga Trader Send a personal message to Tonga Trader      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-24 4:59 pm   Permalink

Hello All,

I was in Chicago last week for a conference at a hotel in Rosemont, just 3 miles down the road from Hala Kahiki. I was so stoked about getting to put another tiki notch in my polynesian belt! I tried to get there two nights in a row and, of course, those were the first two nights they were closed due to the flooding. I had to leave on the third day.

Maybe the tiki gods were kind enough to spare any serious damage so that I may someday soon get back to see it.

Cheers and Aloha,

Q

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-25 04:54 am   Permalink

Any updates on the status of this one-of-a-kind Tiki temple !?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-25 07:27 am   Permalink

They're back in business now, acc to FB.

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-25 1:03 pm   Permalink

open for business !! i'm headed that way tonight.... will report back.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-25 1:29 pm   Permalink

Tipsy, Have one (or 3) for me....I miss that place...it's been awhile. OGR

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiare
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-05 10:56 am   Permalink

Thanks for the updates. I think I am the only person not on facebook so it never occurred to me to check there for an update!

I haven't been to Gene and Judes for a hot dog but will totally go and give them some support the next time I am in Chicagoland. You just can't get a good Chicago style hot dog in San Francisco. You might find Vienna Beef but the bun is never right. I've given up and now will only eat them in their native land.

Not to hijack my own thread to go into the world of hot dogs but here is a recent link about Gene and Judes.

http://chicago.seriouseats.com/2013/04/after-flood-gene-judes-rebuilding.html?ref=title

Anyway, glad to hear that Hala Kahiki has survived. We can't afford to loose anymore classic tiki joints.

Denise

http://alohatiki.blogspot.com
A sporadically updated blog about tiki, food and stuff.

View Profile of Tiare Send a personal message to Tiare  Goto the website of Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-07 07:43 am   Permalink

Chicago is the Hot Dog capital of Earth, imho.

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-07 08:36 am   Permalink

Yup. And they have some pretty good pizza too.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation