Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Oasis 2013 - Hulabilly
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki Oasis 2013 - Hulabilly
babydoe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-22 1:06 pm   Permalink

Tiki Oasis 2013 - August 15th - 18th
San Diego Ca

This year at Tiki Oasis we are exploring the Hawaiian influence on American music. Part Americana, part Hawaiiana, Hulabilly is an American music style derived from the blending of Rockabilly and Haole Hawaiian music.

Just as Tiki Style is a blend of Polynesian influences as interpreted through Americans' romanticised view of the South Seas, Hawaiian music has been sentimentalized and interpreted by American musicians. Like waves hitting the Pacific shores, America experienced recurring ukulele crazes with a longing look toward the Hawaiian Sunset. Similarly in the 1930s, 40s and 50s Hawaiian Slack Key guitar and slide guitar seeped into Western music and permeated The Nashville Sound. American musicians used that sound to play their own versions of Hawaiian music classics such as "On the Beach at Waikiki", "Hula Blues", and "Ukulele Lady" and then form their own Westernized Hawaii sound blending Hawaiian music influences with American early rock n roll (Bop) to create the sound of HulaBilly.

From Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys version of "Hawaiian War Chant" in 1946 To Elvis Presley's "Rock-A-Hula Baby" in the Grammy-nominated movie "Blue Hawaii" in 1961, Hulabilly was a popular music form on America's radios, televisions, and movies.

+++++++++++++++++++

Hotel Rooms and Tickets go on sale Monday April 22nd at 7pm on our website:
http://www.tikioasis.com

Here is a Quick look at the ticket options:

Deluxe COCKTAIL VIP wristband plus mug (Thurs-Sunday)
21 and older
This pass gets you access to the Thursday - Sunday night events and one Tiki Oasis 2013 Limited Edition Tiki Mug!

Want more? You will also get VIP access to ALL the daytime symposiums (except for those listed as 'special events')
and includes all the cocktail symposiums. Sorry this ticket is for our 21 and over crowd only.

Includes:
* Tiki Oasis Commemorative Tiki Mug ($80 value)
* VIP entry to all symposiums ($100+ value)
* VIP entry to all cocktail symposiums ($95 value)
* Thursday - Sunday Evening Showcase ($150 value)
Price: $300, none available at the door
Must be 21 years and older for this wristband

++++++++++++++

VIP wristband plus mug (Thurs - Sunday)
21 and older
This pass gets you access to the Thursday – Sunday night events.
You will also get VIP access to ALL the daytime symposiums (except for those listed as 'special events')

Includes:
* Tiki Oasis Commemorative Tiki Mug ($80 value)
* VIP entry to all symposiums ($100+ value)
* Thursday - Sunday Evening Showcase ($150 value)
NOTE: does not include entry to any cocktail symposiums

Price: $210, none available at the door
Must be 21 years and older for this wristband

++++++++++++++

Full Weekend wristband (Thurs - Sunday)
18 and older

This pass gets you access to the Thursday - Sunday night events
Price: $95 / $110 door

Limited number of tickets sold at door

++++++++++++++

Basic Weekend wristband (Thurs - Saturday)
18 and older

This pass gets you access to the Thursday - Saturday night events
Price: $70 / $85 door

++++++++++++++

Age 6-17 Weekender Pass (Thurs - Sunday)

Those 17 and under can also enjoy Tiki Oasis for all 4 nights!
Please note that evening entertainment is geared towards adults, children must be accompanied by an adult to attend all evening events.
Price: $18 / $25 at door

Children 5 and under free

++++++++++++++

Thursday ONLY Tiki Oasis Meet and Mingle
Kick Off Tiki Oasis in style with this Meet & Mingle at the Bali Hai on Shelter Island. If you plan to attend ONLY this event and not the rest of the weekend, this is the ticket for you.
Price: $15

Children 5 and under free/ Age 6+ must purchase ticket

++++++++++++++

Sunday Early Evening Showcase
Join us as we wrap up another great weekend at Tiki Oasis with amazing live entertainment, dancing and special surprises!

Price: $30/$40 door

Children 5 and under free/ Age 6+ must purchase ticket

++++++++++++++

The full schedule of bands + Dj's + symposiums + more will be announced later in the week.
Ala Carte Tickets for symposiums go on sale Monday April 29th at 7pm

[ This Message was edited by: babydoe 2013-04-22 13:07 ]

View Profile of babydoe Send a personal message to babydoe  Goto the website of babydoe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-22 2:39 pm   Permalink

For some reason people are freaking out all over Facebook about the rooms so remember...

You have to buy tickets for the hotel through the Tiki Oasis website--if you call the hotel now they will tell you its booked because TO has bought all the rooms for that weekend

They aren't sold out...yet!

Can't wait!!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-22 5:16 pm   Permalink

There were a lot of great "hulabilly" songs here and there by country and western swing bands over the years.....but only the Hula Girls (That band from costa mesa!) have devoted an entire act to it. peeps should go to tiki oasis if for no other reason then to see them play. Spike Marble was talking about hulabilly before anyone else even really knew what it was! I can honestly say that he is the one person who really started it up again. I hope they are headlining this event.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-22 5:31 pm   Permalink

I Concur!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-ESP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-22 5:54 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-ESP 2013-04-22 18:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-ESP 2013-04-24 07:41 ]

View Profile of Tiki-ESP Send a personal message to Tiki-ESP      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-22 6:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-22 17:54, Tiki-ESP wrote:

Expect Kim Tsoy and the New Tsoy sauce to headline, as he headlined at TO10 and was playing classic rock standards (Rolling Stones, The Animals, etc) for a majority of his set, because that is what we're all coming to listen to.

Wow! And I thought I was the only one who had a problem with that. Back then, I was still in the Hula Girls and we were playing in a side room for about 20 people. During a break I went out there, and as I remember it, it was saturday night, prime time, the crowd was HUGE and here is this band called Kim Tsoy singing songs from urban cowboy (ya know, the movie with Travolta) I couldn't believe what I was hearing and seeing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOh08LuunOA and the crowd was lapping it up! Look at them! Tiki Esp, you nailed it.

I have heard cheapo bar bands in bonephuck Egypt sound better. Well, hopefully tiki oasis does it right THIS time and has the Hula Girls on the big stage, at a good hour. The Hula Girls deserve it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y9zQ_40oxU

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2013-04-22 18:15 ]

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2013-04-22 18:17 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
babydoe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-22 6:53 pm   Permalink

Hello all - for those interested in staying at the Crowne Plaza Hotel for Tiki Oasis the rooms will go on sale starting at 7pm through the Tiki Oasis website. Please note you will want to refresh the hotel page to clear the cache.

www.tikioasis.com

View Profile of babydoe Send a personal message to babydoe  Goto the website of babydoe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiDude
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-22 7:35 pm   Permalink

I can get event tickets, but I can't book a room.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiDude 2013-04-22 19:38 ]

View Profile of TikiDude Send a personal message to TikiDude  Email TikiDude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LosGatos_HepCats
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-22 7:38 pm   Permalink

Booked it Dan-O!

Can't wait for August.

It's a leap O faith to book tickets without the agenda up - but what else are you going to do the 15th - 18th of August?

Hope we get some tikiyaki orchestra action - There's plenty of Hula but not much Billy with those awesome dudes!

Cheers!

View Profile of LosGatos_HepCats Send a personal message to LosGatos_HepCats      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-22 7:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-22 19:35, TikiDude wrote:
I can get event tickets, but I can't book a room.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiDude 2013-04-22 19:38 ]

Pool View rooms all sold out as of 7:20. You can book standard rooms

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-22 7:48 pm   Permalink

Thursday - Kim Tsoy & the Sauce
Friday - Chris Sprague & The 18 Wheelers
Saturday - Southern Culture on the Skids
Sunday - Big Sandy & His Fly Rite Boys

I am sure Spike knows when the HGs are playing...I believe they are opening for SCOTs Saturday.

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-22 8:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-22 18:08, lucas vigor wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-04-22 17:54, Tiki-ESP wrote:

Expect Kim Tsoy and the New Tsoy sauce to headline, as he headlined at TO10 and was playing classic rock standards (Rolling Stones, The Animals, etc) for a majority of his set, because that is what we're all coming to listen to.

Wow! And I thought I was the only one who had a problem with that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOh08LuunOA and the crowd was lapping it up! Look at them! Tiki Esp, you nailed it.

I have heard cheapo bar bands in bonephuck Egypt sound better.

Lucas, ESP,
You should be ashamed of yourselves bashing Kim Tsoy!?!
Can you name an old timer who actually played in a Tiki Restaurant and has an lp from that era that you would rather see onstage? Please let me know and I will book them. Next you're gonna be making fun of Ernie Menahune? Or Robert Drasnin?
Kim Tsoy played some of the tunes that he would have played back in the day when he headlined The Luau Hut
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=32449&forum=2&start=0

He also played some of the stuff he has been playing since then (40 years of country music)
I support him and applaud him for bringing himself, his music, and his Aloha spirit to Tiki Oasis.

FYI, he wanted to play Hawaiian Wedding Song (from his orig LP) and I asked him not to cause it is a clunker for a live set.

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martini kings
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-22 8:26 pm   Permalink

Looking forward to see Kim Tsoy back at oasis. no gimmicks,pretentions,smoke and mirrors- just pure fun with the tiki peeps! he's been doin it since the 60's this guy! the real deal!

View Profile of martini kings Send a personal message to martini kings  Email martini kings Goto the website of martini kings     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sgt. Tiki

Posted: 2013-04-22 8:46 pm   Permalink

Kim Tsoy is awesome! We had a blast that year. I hope he's coming back.

View Profile of Sgt. Tiki Send a personal message to Sgt. Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-22 9:38 pm   Permalink

wooooot! I'm booked, and so excited for all the bands, many of which I have seen numerous times. I'm a hillbilly hula gal myself... you'll see. and I'm gonna enjoy the Heck outta this years Oasis!!! Thanks so much to Babydoe and Otto for putting together such a great show!!! I'm sooooo happy! I can't wait! wish I was there right freakin NOW! can't wait to see everyone!!!

View Profile of sweetpea Send a personal message to sweetpea  Email sweetpea Goto the website of sweetpea     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation