FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT


advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Oasis 2013 - Hulabilly
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki Oasis 2013 - Hulabilly
SPYrateRadio
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Apr 07, 2012
Posts: 32
From: International Waters
Posted: 2013-04-22 9:46 pm   Permalink

Booked a room, barely! Thought I could wait an hour! My mistake! Time to start getting some music together for the broadcast!

[ This Message was edited by: SPYrateRadio 2013-04-22 21:46 ]


 
View Profile of SPYrateRadio Send a personal message to SPYrateRadio  Email SPYrateRadio Goto the website of SPYrateRadio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 12, 2004
Posts: 3985
From: SOCAL
Posted: 2013-04-23 08:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-22 20:26, Otto wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-04-22 18:08, lucas vigor wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-04-22 17:54, Tiki-ESP wrote:

Expect Kim Tsoy and the New Tsoy sauce to headline, as he headlined at TO10 and was playing classic rock standards (Rolling Stones, The Animals, etc) for a majority of his set, because that is what we're all coming to listen to.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-ESP 2013-04-22 18:01 ]



Wow! And I thought I was the only one who had a problem with that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOh08LuunOA and the crowd was lapping it up! Look at them! Tiki Esp, you nailed it.

I have heard cheapo bar bands in bonephuck Egypt sound better.




Lucas, ESP,
You should be ashamed of yourselves bashing Kim Tsoy!?!
Can you name an old timer who actually played in a Tiki Restaurant and has an lp from that era that you would rather see onstage? Please let me know and I will book them. Next you're gonna be making fun of Ernie Menahune? Or Robert Drasnin?
Kim Tsoy played some of the tunes that he would have played back in the day when he headlined The Luau Hut
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=32449&forum=2&start=0

He also played some of the stuff he has been playing since then (40 years of country music)
I support him and applaud him for bringing himself, his music, and his Aloha spirit to Tiki Oasis.

FYI, he wanted to play Hawaiian Wedding Song (from his orig LP) and I asked him not to cause it is a clunker for a live set.




Oh, I see that I ruffled some feathers yesterday. I listened to quite a few of his songs, and have watched the videos. Sorry Otto, but I fail to see anything but the dimmest connection to tiki. So of course, for your event that's perfectly ok. Bar rock and lite country is not tiki. I am suprised I need to tell you that....no, take that back...not suprised at all.

PS, I made that comment before I found out Tiki ESP was not kidding, and you really did have Kim Tsoy playing...see, I thought that was a joke. I figured last time you had him that you maybe didn't realize he is definitely in the Jimmy Buffett school of thought, and wouldn't have him back. I have nothing against the man, personally. Just thought it strange that you would have a band playing that type of non-tiki music and then give him the prime slot, while you have excluded some other bands playing real tiki music because in your opinion, they are not right for tiki oasis. You know exactly what I am talking about. You asked if i can mention other old timers who have played in tiki bars? yeah, Pat Enos...from my band, The Smokin menehunes. As I told you in a PM a long time ago, Pat is the real deal. If you do a little research you would figure out who and what he is, who he has played with. Pat is one of the original Hawaiian beach boys. Like the guys that hung out with Elvis in Blue hawaii. And don't even get me started about Pat's dad and who HE hung out with. There are quite a few living legends that have a deep connection to Don Ho that you have excluded from your event because you prefer mosh pits and not-very-good country music.


[ This Message was edited by: Lucas Vigor 2013-04-23 08:42 ]


 
View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cdtiki
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Sep 14, 2010
Posts: 87
From: Modesto, CA
Posted: 2013-04-23 2:11 pm   Permalink

Got to talk to Kim for quite a while before his set that night and what a cool guy.
It really impressed me that I could go to a big event and just hang out and talk to a guy like him.
That being my first Oasis it really left a great impression. The crowd was really into it and everyone knew the songs by heart.
What a class act. The vibe that evening was electric. Can't wait to see him this year.


 
View Profile of cdtiki Send a personal message to cdtiki  Email cdtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 12, 2004
Posts: 3985
From: SOCAL
Posted: 2013-04-23 3:24 pm   Permalink

never said he wasn't a nice guy. But tiki this ain't. The fact that the crowd knew all the songs and really liked it is in no way a slur on Mr. tsoy, but a sad statement on the state of tiki music on this forum.
In so many ways, TC gets it right. We love awesome, unique cocktails, craft cocktails actually, and we laugh when some restaraunt serves pineapple juice, orange juice, grenadine, sugar and bar rum and call it a Mai-Tai.....most of us know it's NOT a real Mai-Tai and are quick to say so.
or we have so many cool home tiki bars on display, but every so often someone posts pictures of their jamaican bar with party city tikis or stuff from walmart...and we are quick to let the new poster know how what they have built is not tiki approved...

...but when it comes to music, people who don't play tiki music well, or even at all somehow get a pass? Can anyone explain that to me?



 
View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Mar 13, 2012
Posts: 267
From: The Third Coast
Posted: 2013-04-23 4:10 pm   Permalink

Lucas,

Please take this crap some place else. There is no need to be clogging this thread up with all of this. We get it that you are pissed that Otto won't hire you to play his event. You have made many references to it in the past. By the way it makes you look like a bad ambassador for the band that you are in. Always complaining and brow beating people this is not tiki music or this is not good music. To each their own. Go start another thread bashing or complaining about whatever you want. Better yet why don't you go start your own event and make it however you want.


 
View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 12, 2004
Posts: 3985
From: SOCAL
Posted: 2013-04-23 4:58 pm   Permalink

if the administrators of this forum want to ban me...so be it. Barring that, I have a right to comment on anything and everything same as everyone else on this forum does. I am sick of me being the only one told to shut up around here, for voicing my opinions on a public forum.

Maybe all you tiki newbs who think you know better about what tiki is will be better off without me.

Lucas out. It's been fun, Tiki central. 11 years total (I joined in 2003) and have had some good times and made some friends....you all know who you are.


 
View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Joined: Mar 29, 2002
Posts: 862
From: NorCal
Posted: 2013-04-23 11:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-23 16:58, lucas vigor wrote:
if the administrators of this forum want to ban me...so be it. Barring that, I have a right to comment on anything and everything same as everyone else on this forum does. I am sick of me being the only one told to shut up around here, for voicing my opinions on a public forum.

Maybe all you tiki newbs who think you know better about what tiki is will be better off without me.

Lucas out. It's been fun, Tiki central. 11 years total (I joined in 2003) and have had some good times and made some friends....you all know who you are.



Lucas, this thread was started for people who are going to Tiki Oasis to share their thoughts and ask questions. You are not going to Tiki Oasis and you are not sharing your thoughts you are venting and whining.

You should start your own thread called "Lucas Vigor complaining about how lame everyone else's music is and other whining opinions" and voice your "opinions" on that thread. Nobody on this thread wants to hear it.

And joining TC a few years before lots of other folks doesn't mean you have any more rights than them. I joined before you did. That doesn't mean my opinion is better than yours but when it comes to etiquette it seems I have learned more than you.


 
View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Mar 21, 2004
Posts: 1436
From: Exotic Isle of Alameda
Posted: 2013-04-23 11:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-22 18:08, lucas vigor wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-04-22 17:54, Tiki-ESP wrote:

Expect Kim Tsoy and the New Tsoy sauce to headline, as he headlined at TO10 and was playing classic rock standards (Rolling Stones, The Animals, etc) for a majority of his set, because that is what we're all coming to listen to.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-ESP 2013-04-22 18:01 ]



Wow! And I thought I was the only one who had a problem with that. Back then, I was still in the Hula Girls and we were playing in a side room for about 20 people. During a break I went out there, and as I remember it, it was saturday night, prime time, the crowd was HUGE and here is this band called Kim Tsoy singing songs from urban cowboy (ya know, the movie with Travolta) I couldn't believe what I was hearing and seeing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOh08LuunOA and the crowd was lapping it up! Look at them! Tiki Esp, you nailed it.

I have heard cheapo bar bands in bonephuck Egypt sound better. Well, hopefully tiki oasis does it right THIS time and has the Hula Girls on the big stage, at a good hour. The Hula Girls deserve it.



Quote:

On 2013-04-23 08:09, lucas vigor wrote:

Oh, I see that I ruffled some feathers yesterday. I listened to quite a few of his songs, and have watched the videos. Sorry Otto, but I fail to see anything but the dimmest connection to tiki. So of course, for your event that's perfectly ok. Bar rock and lite country is not tiki. I am suprised I need to tell you that....no, take that back...not suprised at all.

PS, I made that comment before I found out Tiki ESP was not kidding, and you really did have Kim Tsoy playing...see, I thought that was a joke. I figured last time you had him that you maybe didn't realize he is definitely in the Jimmy Buffett school of thought, and wouldn't have him back. I have nothing against the man, personally. Just thought it strange that you would have a band playing that type of non-tiki music and then give him the prime slot, while you have excluded some other bands playing real tiki music because in your opinion, they are not right for tiki oasis. You know exactly what I am talking about. You asked if i can mention other old timers who have played in tiki bars? yeah, Pat Enos...from my band, The Smokin menehunes. As I told you in a PM a long time ago, Pat is the real deal. If you do a little research you would figure out who and what he is, who he has played with. Pat is one of the original Hawaiian beach boys. Like the guys that hung out with Elvis in Blue hawaii. And don't even get me started about Pat's dad and who HE hung out with. There are quite a few living legends that have a deep connection to Don Ho that you have excluded from your event because you prefer mosh pits and not-very-good country music.


[ This Message was edited by: Lucas Vigor 2013-04-23 08:42 ]



Quote:

On 2013-04-23 15:24, lucas vigor wrote:

...but when it comes to music, people who don't play tiki music well, or even at all somehow get a pass? Can anyone explain that to me?



Wow. Way to make someone else's event all about you, Lucas. I haven't seen so many "I"'s since the remake of The Fly! Why don't you spare us from yet another of your self-inflicted shame spirals, and share it with your therapist, instead - maybe they will hook you up with some meds that will help you to travel more than 10 feet from your house to play a gig, like the rest of the hard working and hard suffering musicians out there.

Quote:

On 2013-04-23 16:10, El Jefe wrote:
Lucas,

Please take this crap some place else. There is no need to be clogging this thread up with all of this. We get it that you are pissed that Otto won't hire you to play his event. You have made many references to it in the past. By the way it makes you look like a bad ambassador for the band that you are in. Always complaining and brow beating people this is not tiki music or this is not good music. To each their own. Go start another thread bashing or complaining about whatever you want. Better yet why don't you go start your own event and make it however you want.



+1


_________________
"It's Mai Tai. It's out of this world." - Victor Jules Bergeron Jr.


 
View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Mar 21, 2004
Posts: 1436
From: Exotic Isle of Alameda
Posted: 2013-04-24 12:00 am   Permalink

Can we please get this thread back on topic now? TIKI OASIS 2013 - HULABILLY, Baby!!!
_________________
"It's Mai Tai. It's out of this world." - Victor Jules Bergeron Jr.


 
View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jul 19, 2009
Posts: 6199
From: Costa Misery
Posted: 2013-04-24 12:03 am   Permalink

I think they are way too many "Ryan Spooner" Hawaiian shirts at Tiki Oasis!

 
View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Joined: Mar 29, 2002
Posts: 862
From: NorCal
Posted: 2013-04-24 12:47 am   Permalink

Let's move over to here

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=45205&forum=17&start=last&0

it got a little trashy around here


 View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Oct 16, 2004
Posts: 268
From: Palo Alto
Posted: 2013-04-24 01:20 am   Permalink

Wow, every party has a pooper huh? Some folks see light hearted happiness and they just have to crap on it. Pure narcissism. They complain and complain and defend their need to be true and bluntly honest, and then become enraged and hurt when the complaints are directed at them. It takes a true sense of entitlement to tell a founder what do do with his own very, very successful and beloved event in such a public and caustic way. The personal message should have been enough for you. Needing the tiki world to hear and feel your disappointment was just childish.

Quote:

On 2013-04-23 16:58, lucas vigor wrote:

Maybe all you tiki newbs who think you know better about what tiki is will be better off without me.

Lucas out. It's been fun, Tiki central. 11 years total (I joined in 2003) and have had some good times and made some friends....you all know who you are.



Stay true to your convictions....please. Aloha







 
View Profile of SuperEight Send a personal message to SuperEight  Email SuperEight     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jun 03, 2007
Posts: 873
From: Melbourne,Australia
Posted: 2013-04-24 07:11 am   Permalink

I have no idea what's going on, but Lucas, please take ATP with you, wherever you go.

 
View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FilthyMidget
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jan 02, 2010
Posts: 148
From: East Los
Posted: 2013-04-24 08:01 am   Permalink

Otto I am soooo excited about this years theme & bands!

If you don't like what's going on at TO this year don't go, more Rum for the rest of us.

I in no way have any bad thoughts to Pat or Bong in SM I know he doesn't speak for you two <3

Counting down to TO!!!!

Come see me at registration Friday AM!!!!
_________________

********************************************************


aka The Filthy Midget


 
View Profile of FilthyMidget Send a personal message to FilthyMidget  Email FilthyMidget     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jul 19, 2009
Posts: 6199
From: Costa Misery
Posted: 2013-04-24 2:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-24 07:11, swizzle wrote:
I have no idea what's going on, but Lucas, please take ATP with you, wherever you go.



Why? what did I do?


 
View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:
  
v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation