FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Does Anyone Recognize this Mug ?
Does Anyone Recognize this Mug ?
seamus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-04 5:43 pm   Permalink

My wahine scored this gem last summer in a Goodwill in San Jose for 3 bucks ! She's got a way better eye than me. I walked right by it. It looks handmade but it has Trader Vic's, TGp Studio, Hawaii, and something else hard to read inscribed in the bottom.
Can anyone shed some light on the origins of this vessel ?

other side
bottom.
Thanks!

TikisbySeamus.com

View Profile of seamus Send a personal message to seamus  Email seamus Goto the website of seamus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seamus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-05 6:43 pm   Permalink

So, either this was a stupid question, OR so far nobody recognizes this thing. I'm wondering if it's some one off art class project who's creator scrawled Trader Vic's on just to be funny. Anyone??

View Profile of seamus Send a personal message to seamus  Email seamus Goto the website of seamus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suffering bastard
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-05 9:50 pm   Permalink

The Hawaii Trader Vics did have at least one primitive looking (ie. high school art-class-looking) tiki mug they used that I don't believe was used by the other TVs. I know the Hawaii TV was somehow not affiliated with the other restaurants in the chain----some legal issue left someone else the rights to the name in Hawaii, or something like that. Anyway, this mug isn't the one I'm familiar with, although the style of writing on the bottom does look similar to the one I've seen. Could be the real deal....

View Profile of suffering bastard Send a personal message to suffering bastard  Email suffering bastard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suffering bastard
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-05 10:01 pm   Permalink

I checked the "Tiki Mugs and More" gallery under Trader Vic. There are three primative looking mugs listed as belonging to the Hawaii Vics, but I didn't see this one.

http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/vics

View Profile of suffering bastard Send a personal message to suffering bastard  Email suffering bastard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seamus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-05 10:10 pm   Permalink

Very helpful Information. Much Appreciated!

Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-06 11:51 pm   Permalink

yes, that is one of my experiments gone very very wrong.An abomination of all of Poly Pop's broken mugs wrongfully re-fired in my kiln. Aghhh the creature is loose amongst the villagers! Run for your lives! Kidding , never seen it and hope to never run into it in a dark alley. Sorry there.....couldn't help myself.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-09 01:34 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 14:51 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-09 01:41 am   Permalink

He looks like a Tiki Bob that was left in the sun too long.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-13 3:08 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 14:51 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-13 3:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-13 15:08, filslash wrote:

Sweet Christ! Well done Fils for finding a bona fide Trader Vic's rarity, but what on earth was Vic thinking when he came up with that debacle? It's horrible....What happened to the Tiki?! Was he on drugs? Had a flaky, brain-damaged ex-hippie girlfriend at the time? Overly keen on the rum testing?

Trader Woody

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Woody on 2004-10-13 15:58 ]

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-13 9:44 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 14:52 ]

TheTikiKing
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-27 3:33 pm   Permalink

The first one is Mr. Bill from SNL's Mr. Bill show from the late 70's. The one underneath is his arch-nemesis Sluggo. (That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!)

Cheers!

TTK

View Profile of TheTikiKing Send a personal message to TheTikiKing  Email TheTikiKing     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-27 4:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-13 21:44, filslash wrote:
aloha,

"Kilroy was here." was a big part of WWII grafitti..."

It probably appealed to returning GI's who'd scrawled it all over europe...

Ah, that's interesting. I never knew that. It was a big thing to grafitti 'Kilroy was here' in the UK during the 60's. For obvious reasons GI's didn't scrawl it in England, but anyone from Britain venturing into Europe in post war years would have seen it and brought the idea back with them.

So, it all makes sense. Vic obviously kept an eye on the GI's culture throughout his years and learned from them. The connection suddenly becomes obvious. Good call!

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-27 5:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-27 16:30, Trader Woody wrote:
It was a big thing to grafitti 'Kilroy was here' in the UK during the 60's.

And it was big to listen to it during the early 80's!

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation