FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Oasis 2013 - HulaBilly - Official thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
Tiki Oasis 2013 - HulaBilly - Official thread
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-04 12:28 pm   Permalink

Greatest Hillbillies of All Time

#15 Rose Maddox

Born: Boaz, Alabama to a sharecropper family
Likes: Singin', playin' the fiddle, dressin' up real fancy with her brothers

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-04 12:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-04 12:28, Cammo wrote:

#15 Rose Maddox

Well I can't give you a hard time over this one, Since Rose was my Great Aunt
but they always thought of them selves as a "Western Swing band" and spent almost their entire
professional career based in California.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEB1fD1jEA8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIHE1Hi9n9s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlcmKQR0lgw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwUmg_2xBpA -in her own words....

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-07-04 12:50 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-05 10:35 am   Permalink

Whoa whoa whoa hold it right there now. PONIES???? There are going to be PONIES at the Oasis??? And hillbillies???? DUDE. This is right up my alley (OK- rutted washed out muddy road)!! I may come back!

Can I bring MY ponies??

View Profile of Hau 'oli Tiki Send a personal message to Hau 'oli Tiki  Email Hau 'oli Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-05 10:44 am   Permalink

#16 Tom Jefferson

Born: Shadwell, Goochland County, Virginia
Likes: Readin', writin', playin' the fiddle, drinkin', politics

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bill5925
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-05 11:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

#15 Rose Maddox

That's a neat clipping of Rose and family!

View Profile of Bill5925 Send a personal message to Bill5925      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-05 12:29 pm   Permalink

OK, as Thomas Jefferson would say "Now your talking out of your Derriere!

As Jefferson was from a wealthy family of "Slave owners" Highly educated who
became a lawyer and was a polymath who spoke five languages fluently and was deeply interested
in science, invention, architecture, religion and philosophy
also he founded the University of Virginia

Not very "Hillbilly" of him,now....

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-05 4:02 pm   Permalink

This may shred a lot of preconceived notions of what hillbillies are all about, but...

The Ozark dialect is a direct descendant of, and probably more closely related to Shakespearian English than our present day usage of American English. Early settlers from the British Isles brought their language, slang, music, fashions, and food styles with them. As England progressed "beyond" Elizabethan culture, these styles survived intact in the Ozarks.

So - Shakespeare's England and language survives in phrases like "vittles", "set a spell", "y'hear" and in the wild, fast played mandolin that's at the heart of great bluegrass music and the jam sessions that go on for hours. And of course in young romance; Romeo's Juliet was only 13 years old.

Here's an article written in 1964 all about it:
http://thelibrary.org/lochist/periodicals/wrv/v1/N11/Sp64e.htm
(And notice the other references at the bottom!)

Mitch Jayne, one of the Dillards (well, their bass playing friend) taught in one-room schoolhouses in Dent County and documented the use of Elizabethan English by his students. When Jayne asked a student to stay after school for some chore, the boy replied, No, Mr. Jayne, Id best haste home. Mother dont sanction us being dilatory.

He wrote a great book about his experiences, here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/Home-Grown-Stories-Fried-Lies/dp/1882467302

...and here's the thing that's gonna really blow yar brains. If all this is true, and it certainly does seem quite astonishingly reasonable, what this all means is that the Ozark Hillbilly dialect is ...

AN ISLANDER DIALECT. Because it comes directly, and is one of the few survivals of, the early British Isles.

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-05 4:50 pm   Permalink

Thomas Jefferson... WTF ?? !!

Abe Lincoln was way more Tiki.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-05 6:24 pm   Permalink

John-O, where do you find this stuff?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-05 6:34 pm   Permalink

It's from a defunct Revival place in your part of the country.

What, you never went there ??

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-05 11:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-04 12:39, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Quote:

#15 Rose Maddox

Well I can't give you a hard time over this one, Since Rose was my Great Aunt
but they always thought of them selves as a "Western Swing band" and spent almost their entire
professional career based in California.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwUmg_2xBpA -in her own words....

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-07-04 12:50 ]

Perfect example of a Hillbilly that is close to "HulaBilly" - more Urban, more Pop(ular), more Rockabilly than Hillbilly and Country music. unfortunately they never strayed into Hawaiian music territory.
Though The Hawaiian Hootenanny Boy did record with Rose Maddox
http://www.silcom.com/~peterf/releases/cunha_bio.htm

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-06 02:16 am   Permalink

Hope you don't mind that I mention this here Otto:

Just after last years Tiki Oasis, Otto had heard that Rose Maddox was a relative of mine
and he contacted me to see if she would be interested in performing at this years Tiki Oasis
How cool would that have been!

Unfortunately she died in 1998 so I was pretty sure she wasn't going to make that gig
but if she was here today I think she would have gotten a real kick out of playing for
you Tiki Freaks......It's because of roots like this, that I so vehemently laud the importance
of honoring our past & history.

Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-06 07:49 am   Permalink

I would like to share the fact that The Mr is ready, willing and able to actually go to the Oasis this year! This man is Hulabilly all the way (well, in the sense that SOME of you are looking at this theme...I shan't go into THAT right now)

He is the only Hawaiian shirt wearing cowboy I know. He plays Ape's Jungle Jems around the Ranch for the horses; says they like it...makes them calm. He plays Martini Kings, Les Baxter,Martin Denny...etc...not only at his pool parties, but as he's out riding or driving his horses. IN his signature Hawaiian shirt! But he's a bad ass that no one ever F's with at the local bars...

But he's not a redneck hillbilly! And he's not strictly Tiki...But he likes the looks of this year's Oasis! So he's goin! Which means I get to go- YAY!!

Awwww! Aint that cute?

Shut the F up or your dead where ya stand.

View Profile of Hau 'oli Tiki Send a personal message to Hau 'oli Tiki  Email Hau 'oli Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-06 10:28 am   Permalink

What are the chances that no one else is waiting on a room to open up at the Crowne?? For a non party, golf course view room? Is that just cray? Or can I dream??

Big Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-06 3:29 pm   Permalink

The Rum Bums have done the research. WE have nailed the Hullabilly theme! Tiki Hell is back.

View Profile of Big Vic Send a personal message to Big Vic  Email Big Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation