FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Oasis 2013 - HulaBilly - Official thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
Tiki Oasis 2013 - HulaBilly - Official thread
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-12 10:18 pm   Permalink

John-O's right (as always) - Albies has steaks done to order, a pianist playing requests and...

like I said about King's -

Malted. Flour. WAFFLES. Mini and XXX.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-12 10:46 pm   Permalink

...AND HILLBILLY BREAD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZKB-HF4y6k&feature=youtu.be

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-13 12:08 am   Permalink

OK, Albie's Beef Inn is good, Adam's (at least the last time I ate there they could not
make good scrambled eggs, how hard is it, not hard I say!)

Cammo is there an " Original Pancake House " in the area?, because that's a good breakfast place in my book
I eat at the one near Fallbrook.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-05-13 16:44 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-13 4:20 pm   Permalink

Enough of this food talk. Save it for Breakfast Oasis 2014 !!

In the meantime here's an interesting Hillbilly Pop Culture factoid...

What fictional hillbillies share almost the exact same time line as Mid-century Tiki (and pre-Tiki) style ??

Li'l Abner !!

This daily comic series debuted in 1934, the same year Donn Beach opened his Beachcomber Cafe in Hollywood.

The strip was written by Al Capp and continued to be published in newspapers for an astonishing 43 years, ending in 1977. The previous year we saw the opening of Trader Vic's Atlanta, the Bahooka in Rosemead, and the Chef Shangri-La in Chicago. I think it's safe to say those were the last establishments of the original Tiki period.

So for every day you could imbibe in a Zombie cocktail, you could enjoy the daily exploits of Li'l Abner and the wacky denizens of Dogpatch. I never really paid attention to the strip during its original run, but I have discovered its satirical loopiness in reprint collections.

I understand the characters even traveled to tropical islands. I wonder if they encountered any Tikis there ?? In over 15,000 published adventures, I would have liked to think so.

And I'm looking forward to one of the T.O. room parties serving up this iconic concoction this July...

EDIT - And here's your mixer...

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2013-05-13 16:40 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-13 4:41 pm   Permalink

Interesting post, Grog. And this has nothing to do with it, but I though it was worth mentioning.

Just want to remind everybody that "Hulabilly is an American music style derived from the blending of ROCKABILLY and Haole Hawaiian music."

I feel like the enthusiasm for this theme is heavy on the HILL-billy side of things. Don't get me wrong, I love hillbilly. It co-exists and pre-dates rockabilly... Just wanted to make sure people realize that ROCKABILLY is the big theme driver for this year's Tiki Oasis.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-13 4:43 pm   Permalink

Don't make me take your Top shelf, well crafted, positively wonderful vintage cocktail
away from you John-O (Hey that's tasty!), you know that Hulabilly & Hillbilly are not the same thing!

Anyone who says different will be getting a visit from poltergeist Elvis (Polter-Elvis? Elvis-Geist?)
and he shall be a rock-in & sway-in in anger!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-13 4:47 pm   Permalink

Look Spike posted at almost the same time, same message of fact vs fiction
so git back in yer storm cellars, blasted Hillbillies!
Your inbreeding is showing.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-05-13 16:51 ]

Tiki-ESP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-13 5:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-13 16:41, Luckydesigns wrote:
Interesting post, Grog. And this has nothing to do with it, but I though it was worth mentioning.

Just want to remind everybody that "Hulabilly is an American music style derived from the blending of ROCKABILLY and Haole Hawaiian music."

I feel like the enthusiasm for this theme is heavy on the HILL-billy side of things. Don't get me wrong, I love hillbilly. It co-exists and pre-dates rockabilly... Just wanted to make sure people realize that ROCKABILLY is the big theme driver for this year's Tiki Oasis.

Thanks Spike for getting this out there, as my initial reception was Hulabilly is not the same as Hillbilly, yet that is where a majority of posts are going with the latter theme. Know your themes!

Now you know what to do...

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-ESP 2013-05-13 17:27 ]

View Profile of Tiki-ESP Send a personal message to Tiki-ESP      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-13 5:39 pm   Permalink

Preach it brothers, Preach it! Like Jimmy says, "Everybody Bop-A-Hula!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGp6Gzg_jRc

[ This Message was edited by: chrisandsarahb 2013-05-13 17:39 ]

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-13 6:32 pm   Permalink

[/quote]

I have to agree. Hula billy not hillbilly or straight rockabilly. Usually I'd say do what you want - but with this, it's too easy to loose the main theme. I would suggest - just a suggestion- we try to pull it off true to the spirit of the thing.

View Profile of Big Vic Send a personal message to Big Vic  Email Big Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-13 7:05 pm   Permalink

Well so much for my "Why the Beverly Hillbillies are Tiki." post.

Damn purists !! I'm going to Hukilau instead.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mikala137

Posted: 2013-05-13 7:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-27 11:25, VanTiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-04-26 21:37, Mikala137 wrote:
Hahaha! It never occurred to me to bribe people for company! Despite attending room parties, I run alone (in the mornings even) every year! LOVE the ocean beach trail that is right near the hotel!

Sounds like a perfect course! I'll bring a finishing "medal" for you! Can't wait!

Henrik "VanTiki"

Fantastic! I can't wait to see what the "medal" is! hahaha! I'll warn you: I usually go pretty early!

View Profile of Mikala137 Send a personal message to Mikala137      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mikala137

Posted: 2013-05-13 7:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-27 11:59, Tiki-ESP wrote:
Sounds like we need to get a running group going. The TO5k!

Oh! I like that idea!

View Profile of Mikala137 Send a personal message to Mikala137      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-14 12:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-13 19:33, Mikala137 wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-04-27 11:59, Tiki-ESP wrote:
Sounds like we need to get a running group going. The TO5k!

Oh! I like that idea!

This is a great idea, as long as the race starts at about noon there will be a huge audience to cheer you on!!!

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-14 12:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-12 07:40, Cammo wrote:
The King's Inn waffles are known all over town, they use a malted flour and you can get them full size or "mini" which go great with a cup o' joe first thing:

They also have a GREAT mexican food restaurant called the Amigo Spot that serves some of the best tamales in town, super sizzling high-rise fajitas, and happy hour specials. The food comes with little mexican flags on it. You arrive at the Amigo Spot from outside across a drawbridge.

It's a mid-60's motel maintained perfectly. I find it bizarre that people coming to Tiki Oasis complain that the King's Inn is an "old place" with "strange headboards" on the beds but they'll "stay there anyway." ?!?!?!?!?

They dress up someone in a Waffle King costume on weekends who walks around waving at his subjects.

The heck with the St. Louis Arch, THIS should be a national treasure.

mmmmmmmmmm, look at those waffles! Thanks Cammo
JUST ANNOUNCED
All Tiki Oasis Group guests staying at Kings Inn get 10% discount at The Waffle Spot

http://www.tikioasis.com/2013/hotel_booking/the_kings_inn/

book via phone and use Tiki Oasis as code

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation