[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Tiki Room Construction 101
Tiki Room Construction 101
Hearn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-05-01 05:07 am   Permalink

Mahalo!

I was hoping some of the uber-talented people on this forum could help me with a few specific construction techniques/tips for my ongoing Tiki Room construction (The Tomandrea Lounge 2):

01. Whats the best method for applying sea grass squares (to be used as a ceiling) to an mdf backing panel? Ive tried spray adhesive and staple gun with poor results.

02. Whats the best method for connecting 2" diameter bamboo poles (to be used in a grid as a low ceiling hanging) I was thinking concealing screws and then binding with rope at the intersections....

03. Whats the best method for cutting Bac Bac Mat? Scissors or blade knife?

Thanks Y'all!

[ This Message was edited by: Hearn 2013-05-01 05:08 ]

View Profile of Hearn Send a personal message to Hearn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-03 08:20 am   Permalink

I'm no expert, I'm sure some who are will chime in but I cut my bricabrac/palm weave with sharp scissors. I think your idea for the ceiling grid is spot on.

I eould have suggested spray adhesive and a staple gun for the ceilings so no help on that. Sorry.

Good luck, have fun and post pictures!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-03 09:35 am   Permalink

01. Whats the best method for applying sea grass squares (to be used as a ceiling) to an mdf backing panel? Ive tried spray adhesive and staple gun with poor results.

Sea Grass Squares are heavy and generally need a much stronger adhesive to glue up. Try Liquid Nails. Glue up the panels on the floor if you can and then install the entire panel after the liquid nails has dried/cured.

02. Whats the best method for connecting 2" diameter bamboo poles (to be used in a grid as a low ceiling hanging) I was thinking concealing screws and then binding with rope at the intersections....

What I did with my room is attached a series of distressed 1x2's in a purpendicular pattern to the roof beams in my cieling. That way I could always find something to screw them too.

Once the 1x2's were attached to the room beams then I could attach the 2" bamboo at any interval I wanted because I had the 1x2's running purpendicular to the Bamboo.
I drilled 1" wide holes in the 2" bamboo and used lag screws to attach them. Then I used rope to wrap the joint and cover the hole.

03. Whats the best method for cutting Bac Bac Mat? Scissors or blade knife?

I have a pair of heavy duty shop shears that make cutting the matting really easy. I usually will run painters tape along the back side of my cut so that after I cut it, it doesnt fray and start to unravel.

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman 2013-05-03 09:41 ]

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hearn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-05-03 2:02 pm   Permalink

Thanks Monkeyman!

The Liquid nails sound like a great idea!

I'll post some pics soon to show progress (you'll see some Monkeyman Frames prominently featured!)

View Profile of Hearn Send a personal message to Hearn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-04 09:26 am   Permalink

Monkeyman that center panel is amazing.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation