FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Painting and Sculpting Tiki on the iPad and other crazy stuff
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Painting and Sculpting Tiki on the iPad and other crazy stuff
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-01 7:06 pm   Permalink

I have had a couple of threads here on Tiki Central in the past talking about using a computer to make tikis. I have recently (5 months or so) been using an Ipad to produce tiki designs. I have never been a great artist. I have done some cartoon work for t-shirt designs and some craft painting. But, I have always wanted to paint. I found an Ipad app called Sketch Club which is easy to use and has a great community to support it. There are lots of great artist on their site and there are a bunch of cool tutorials that I have learned from. I'll start by showing some of my first tries and then show some tutorials of my own showing how I use the app. This is a really crude first try of mine.

[ This Message was edited by: Gene S Morgan 2013-07-05 19:34 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Gene S Morgan 2013-07-05 19:35 ]

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-01 7:09 pm   Permalink

Digital drawing apps give you a chance to add nice effects that make even a poor image look better. I added some texture and a background to my tiki guy.

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-01 7:11 pm   Permalink

A kinda stylized modern tiki …. not so good but, colorful ….

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-01 7:14 pm   Permalink

This was a attempt at PNG tiki … Again colorful but crude …. It gets better hopefully ….

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-01 7:18 pm   Permalink

I experimented with lots of subject matter in my Ipad images, but I like imaginary portraits the most. Here this a lady I call “The Confused Tourist”. She has been on a long tour and does not remember what island she is on. The tiki kinda scared her.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-01 7:21 pm   Permalink

One of the nice things about digital painting is the fact that you can work on an image a piece at a time and combine the parts as a whole image. This is another simple tiki.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-01 7:23 pm   Permalink

Just a second image of the tiki with some subtle highlight additions. I'm going to get around to how that is done soon.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-01 7:26 pm   Permalink

I'm trying to evolve my cartoon work into a more interesting style. I'll never be a fine art painter, but I hope to make more clever and and fun images. The tiki ended up as a bar decoration in the background. I call this one “Tiki Bar Romeo” …....

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-01 7:30 pm   Permalink

Still in a cartoon style, but with a little more detail. He is going to be another background detail.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-01 7:33 pm   Permalink

OK, I hate to admit this, but I don't understand the chimp with a fez thing. I love ZeroStreet's fez guys. So I thought I would give it a try. Here he is ….. by the way, Robert has a cool Ipad app with lots of his great artwork in it available from his website. His work inspires me …........

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-01 9:27 pm   Permalink

(Edited for being overly blunt, as was not my intention to scare the poor guy away)

Gene please don't take my criticism as a personal attack
don't stop creating your art & don't leave TC because one person makes a statement your not happy with

But to tone down my earlier remark (it did come across as harsh) Sorry.
but these are just not good, keep working at it, you will get better

If you have read a bit on Tiki Central about our disdain for "Party City Tikis"
well your posted work looks like "Party City Tikis"

Do a search on the internet for Tiki Gods or here on Tiki Central for photos and use those as your inspiration
you will see what I mean & keep painting.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-05-03 06:16 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-01 9:35 pm   Permalink

ATP don't bite your tongue unless you are having a seizure!

Gene, I like the 2 human characters ~ especially Tiki Bar Romeo, he makes me smile. They must be done on the iPad screen with some sort of stylus?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-01 9:49 pm   Permalink

Gene,

Everyone's a critic. For what it's worth, I really see how much your art has improved since you started. The style is definitely cartoonish, but it looks like that's what you're going for. I hope you continue with it and enjoy it!

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-01 9:57 pm   Permalink

So we are just hugging it out then?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-01 10:12 pm   Permalink

I must say I am pretty concerned about Atomic Tiki's tongue .... When it heals perhaps you could direct me some 5 year old who could teach me to draw better ... I know how nasty some folks here can be ... That is cool with me ...

Thanks much Mike ... your comments are always welcome ... And thanks so much TikiTacky for your kind words ... This is early stuff and yes I am more of a cartoonist .... I hope it gets better ....

Hey, constructive criticism is always welcome .... Stay tuned ... my next post will be mostly stick figures ...

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation