FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Painting and Sculpting Tiki on the iPad and other crazy stuff
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Painting and Sculpting Tiki on the iPad and other crazy stuff
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-12 7:08 pm   Permalink

Using layers again I put a less saturated layer above and combined them. It brought the color down and brought the texture up some too. I liked it.

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-12 7:11 pm   Permalink

I wanted to give Happy Tiki a background so I could make a framed print out of it. Another stamp brush that looked like a stylized flower was just what I needed.

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-12 7:13 pm   Permalink

A little color and I had a happy colorful pattern.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-12 7:16 pm   Permalink

A nice flowery tiled background and a drop shadow and Happy Tiki looks right at home Makes even me smile.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-15 7:05 pm   Permalink

Is digital art really art? I have met lots of folks who say “No Way”. Since I don't consider myself a real artist, it doesn't much matter to me. I never was a painter, but I always did crafts that required some painting techniques. I knew the tools required and some of the methods. I find digital painting lets me experiment with those tools and gives me a few more that makes the process a little easier. This image will be done in sections and put together into something like a real painting. I started with this native girl created much like the other images I have illustrated so far. More smudge makes it look less cartoony.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-15 7:08 pm   Permalink

Layers allowed me to create the hair separately from the face. That way when I mess up (and I will mess up) I can just delete the layer and not have to start the whole thing over again. Yes, I could see the face when creating the hair, but you turn a layer on and off (or just dim it down) at any time.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-15 7:11 pm   Permalink

I based the native girl on a sculpture by Paul Gauguin. I tried to make the lady look a bit older and shall we say, longer in the face. I know I'm suppose to make native girls all cute and surfer girl, but I am pretty old myself and I wouldn't want folks to think I had too much in common with Gauguin. The sample image to the left is of Gauguin's actual work. That is another possibility with digital art. You can keep any reference image right on the screen.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-15 7:15 pm   Permalink

Moved her off to the side a bit and put a bright flower in her hair. Resizing and moving images around on your canvas is another digital technique that makes the process so much like magic.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-15 7:17 pm   Permalink

Now I start on the tiki, gray scale cartoon as before.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-15 7:21 pm   Permalink

Some shading added. Trying to make him a little scary this time.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-15 7:24 pm   Permalink

Colored with layers again. I will finish texturing and bring the images together tomorrow.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-16 8:37 pm   Permalink

Skipped some steps, but smoothed, shaped, added some color, and textured it. I use green tones a lot for shading because that is how the impressionist did it. Also I think it looks like moss and mold. That happens in those humid tropical climates.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-16 8:40 pm   Permalink

OK, here they are together.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-16 8:44 pm   Permalink

I added some wood like grain and cracks to the tiki.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-16 8:47 pm   Permalink

I did a layer multiply to darken the tiki. I think the tiki sorta overwhelms the girl a bit. That is why I darken it and was the original idea for making the flower so bright. Helps draw the eye away from the tiki.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation