FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Painting and Sculpting Tiki on the iPad and other crazy stuff
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Painting and Sculpting Tiki on the iPad and other crazy stuff
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-16 8:49 pm   Permalink

Made a nighttime jungle background.

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-16 8:52 pm   Permalink

Thought the background was too dark. Added some more stars and some lighter detail to the ground. As done as it will ever get I guess.

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-18 8:17 pm   Permalink

I don't often try for realistic images. I guess I remind folks of that quite a bit, but my main goal here is to encourage people to try digital design. Don't be scared by the idea of attempting art. To some that is a scary word. It is just a fancy word, but at least some ability to produce art is in all of us. I think if you are interested in tiki and yearn to make some of your own images, it is possible to start at a simple level level like cartooning and find your own way into the art world. Digital imaging gives you a large toolbox to work from that you can just experiment with and most important, have fun doing it. Slowly learn some simple cartooning techniques and build from there. I have tried to show things a step at a time and how easy it is to start. I start with a cartoon and show a couple of new tools in this next series.

[ This Message was edited by: Gene S Morgan 2013-05-18 20:18 ]

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-18 8:24 pm   Permalink

I use a free iPad app called Mannequin to experiment with different poses. You can move the arms, legs, and other moveable parts of the figure. In SketchClub I started playing around with this pose.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-18 8:26 pm   Permalink

I came up with this strange native girl. Is she dancing? Is she jumping. Only time will tell.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-18 8:28 pm   Permalink

I knew a tiki would be involved.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-18 8:37 pm   Permalink

Same as before. Folks may wonder why I start with a grey scale image and color it. I think that is one way to better visualize shading and form. And, if you want your base image to be simple shades of one color so you can overlay other colors and shades easily, that is the best way to start.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-18 8:46 pm   Permalink

I was going for a kinda mean look. Eyes, mouth shape, and brow shape determine the expression. With tikis it isn't too complicated to create faces.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-18 8:49 pm   Permalink

The smudge tool is my favorite. That is how a cartoon gets shape. The more you smudge the less it looks like a cartoon.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-19 6:56 pm   Permalink

Just a rough shape with cracks and scratches.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-19 6:58 pm   Permalink

With digital art you can re-size and move stuff around. My tiki is now textured and put on top of that weird shape.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-19 7:03 pm   Permalink

Hey, lets bring our girl into the picture.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-19 7:06 pm   Permalink

Now we got a pile of stones. Just took some shading, highlighting, and outlining.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-19 7:12 pm   Permalink

Added some background. That strange looking palm tree is actually a stamp brush I made.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-19 7:15 pm   Permalink

Finished the background. Still don't know what she is doing, but she goes pretty good with the tiki.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation