FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Painting and Sculpting Tiki on the iPad and other crazy stuff
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Painting and Sculpting Tiki on the iPad and other crazy stuff
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-23 10:32 pm   Permalink

Put it all together and you got another kind of palm. I used all the different leaf brushes layered on each branch.

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-23 10:34 pm   Permalink

More digital magic. Did not like that last image. Thought the proportions were off. Layers coming to the rescue with some moving and re-sizing. That is more like it.

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-23 10:37 pm   Permalink

Background added. The background palms are actually brushes I use when I'm lazy. They are kinda stylized, but don't look too bad way back. You can make a quick jungle that way.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-23 10:40 pm   Permalink

I used all three of the leaf brushes starting with the darkest green and lighter as I move forward. I like that effect. I mentioned using a brush for texture. I like texture a lot. I pretty much abstracted the sky and clouds by using a texture brush to roughen things up. All done.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-26 9:30 pm   Permalink

My last image had a couple of palm tree stamp brushes. As you can see they are pretty stylized.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-26 9:32 pm   Permalink

Another stamp brush of a simple ukulele.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-26 9:34 pm   Permalink

Since most stamp brushes are applied pretty small you do not have to have much detail, just a few lines to establish shape and give an idea of the look of the item. Here is a drum.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-26 9:41 pm   Permalink

Some more weirdly shaped palms.

Color and texture and I got another pattern.

When tiled it looks like I got a problem You can see sharp edges between the tiles. This don't look so good on fabric.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-26 9:51 pm   Permalink

I brought the pattern into PhotoShop on my computer and used an offset filter to show the edges better. Not looking too good.

Using heal and stamp brushes I covered up the edge with texture taken from other areas of the image. This takes a little work, but you get it looking pretty good that way.

There is still some areas that look repeated when tiled. You can keep working that out more if you want. The best thing to do, is be aware of light and dark in your textures as you apply them. Trying to match contrasting areas is what causes the sharpness in the borders. You will have less work in cleanup if you are careful making your texturing in your patterns. We are thinking of using this design on a shower curtain.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-29 8:16 pm   Permalink

It took me long enough, but now I will discuss the way most people draw. Most folks just draw lines and make them look like something. Sounds easy and it can be if you stick to a simple cartoon style, I need some palm trees so I draw some lines .

Like a coloring book you just fill in the color. With digital there is an easy tool for that surprisingly called the fill tool. You tap inside the shape and as long as it is closed with no holes, it will fill it in with whatever color you want. And some people think this art stuff is difficult.

Some lines and it does look kinda like some sorta tropical leaves. Squint and use your imagination and you might see it.

Using the basic method I came up with a palm tree sort of like. I tried a little harder and got a somewhat better look. The trunk was created the same way and then I did some shading and texturing, It's digital, so it was easy at that point to copy, move, flip, resize ending up a couple of fairly good stylized palms.

Some extra texture on the trunks and some shaping to the leaves. Not the Mona Lisa of palm trees, but close enough for my use.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-29 9:21 pm   Permalink

Gene, you've been busy with all kinds of good stuff!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-30 6:20 pm   Permalink

Thanks Mike for checking out my goofy stuff .....

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-30 6:39 pm   Permalink

I know up until now I have used the method of starting in grayscale, but this tiki is what the cool kid artist call a speed sketch, so I started more simply. I used the vector method to create the basic head shape already the color I wanted. Then quite quickly I sketched in the features, eyes, nose, mouth, and some other stuff. It was sloppy but I find that you often come up with some fun images by just letting your hand go where it wants. You get some extra strange lines that way, but as they say in the music biz, we can fix that in the mix.

The eyes were kinda dorky and the nose was weird. With a brush I covered up some lines and added some shaping, coloring, and shading. Looks a little better.

Extra heavy dark shading around the eyes and nose adds a little drama. I smoothed pretty hard and blurred the image more than usual. I think it gives it a bit of a watercolor look.

Textured and highlighted the guy.

Gave the tiki some wood grain and made a couple of copies and resized them. Now I got a tiki family. Might as well add some palm trees. Notice that one of the tikis looks like it is behind the palms and the others in front. That is the magic of layers again. Each one and the trees are in different layers. You can shuffle the layers around any way you want to create your scene.

Added some background as always. Making grass brushes is fun.

Added some sky and did some cleanup and extra shadowing. It is best to wait until you are sure you have done enough damage before you combine all the layers which is usually the final step. One example of that is you may notice in the first background image the bottom of one of the palms seemed to be sticking out of the baby tikis head. Since the tree was on a different layer, I was able to erase the part I did not like without affecting the rest of the image. This was a fun image to make.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-30 8:32 pm   Permalink

This would make a great fabric for a shirt.

The technique on the last picture is interesting. You keep making it better. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-30 10:04 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind comments Wendy ... Clothing in that design is in my future ... My wife has been too busy gardening to get it done now .... It is a natural for me. I'm a uke player ...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation