FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Painting and Sculpting Tiki on the iPad and other crazy stuff
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Painting and Sculpting Tiki on the iPad and other crazy stuff
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-11 9:43 pm   Permalink

I have opened the Layers menu. This is a little detour from our goal just so I can show you some cool cheating magic you can only do with digital graphics. Click the Transform button to open a whole new world.

When you get to the Transform screen you see lots of stuff. I ain't got time to explain it all. The important thing at this time is that dotted line and little circles around the tiki.

You tap and grab those circles and they move. Pull one up and the other down and you get instant perspective.

Hey he is looking over that way. Glad I didn't have to actually draw it that way. Just one of many cool effects possible. But I'm not going to use it on this tiki.

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-11 9:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-11 21:33, Gene S Morgan wrote:
There are many cool and useful apps and computer programs that can get you started creating you own images. Painter on the PC has always been the best program for what is called natural media painting. It is great for mimicing real world paint and I have been using it for two decades. The trouble with that and many other good PC programs is the method of inputing your tools

Well said!

As one who draws all day on a computer I couldn't agree more. Software for creation on computers is just like any "natural" media - it is just a tool. In my opinion, there is no "best" tool for creating - but there are tools that resonate better with certain artists more than others. I used to swear by photoshop and dread working in Illustrator - then I had a vector tool epiphany and spent most of my time away from Photoshop. Who knows what I'll be using to push pixels with a year from now. When I teach digital illustration and design, if a student wants to use some alternate software to complete an assignment that is fine by me, as long as the finished product works.

I have a slew of apps for drawing on my iPad, and I have mixed feelings about them. It is fun - but I still lean towards my trusty sketchbook for doodles, and do final work on my wacom monitor. I need to make myself spend some hours with the ipad app so it becomes intuitive like it is for you.

Wanted to also thank you for introducing me to Spoonflower. I've ordered several of their 1 yard color palette samples in various cottons and wallpaper, and I can't wait to start experimenting!

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-11 10:17 pm   Permalink

VanTiki ... your post made my day ... It is good to know that I'm not the only pixel pusher on board here. I don't work for a living anymore, but if I did I would love to fool with graphics programs for a living as well. Nice words from and artist and teacher such as yourself.

Yes, Spoonflower is cool. I'm glad you liked it. Of course Dawn Fraser creates some fabrics much cooler than anything I come up with. She has a nice selection in her shop on Spoonflower.

Thanks again Gene

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-11 10:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-11 21:33, Gene S Morgan wrote:
I apologize in advance for this post. I'm not a hard guy to get along with. There have been continuous insults thrown at me from this young fellow that I have ignored because I do not wish to dialog with a bratty child acting up. I know that this is his way with many people, and I have no trouble paying no attention to his silly rants. But, some of his misinformation in recent post may lead folks who follow my thread to come to some wrong conclusions. I want to clear a couple of things up.

I am serious when I say I do not consider myself a real artist. That does not mean that I don't have a great deal of experience creating artistic things. In this thread I am not trying to teach folks how to paint. My images as I have said before are graphic designs. I create designs on products sold all over the world. (even in California) I hate to express the following, but I feel I have credibility in the art world. On art sites my images have been featured a number of times and the idea that folks pay me real American dollars for my designs kinda convinces me that some people value my work. In my other graphic work, my Photoshop filters have been featured on several graphic oriented web sites and even included in a tech article in the New York Times. I'm sorry folks, this sounds too much like bragging, and I am the last person to brag. But, why would I care what a young kid who needs attention has to say about my work? I have cred folks. Besides, you guys keep checking out my thread. Majority rules.

I should have discussed this next thing already. The puke kid tried to educate me by listing a few other programs I should be using. His list seemed to me to be some list googled for popular apps and it is pretty wrong. There are many cool and useful apps and computer programs that can get you started creating you own images. Painter on the PC has always been the best program for what is called natural media painting. It is great for mimicing real world paint and I have been using it for two decades. The trouble with that and many other good PC programs is the method of inputing your tools. Drawing with a mouse is not fun and even devices like Wacom tablets that allow you to draw with a stylus are hard to use because of the disconnection between the hand and eye. Ipads have given us a method with a stylus or finger to do things just like you would with a paint brush. I have tried many apps and the problem is the same with computer software. There is no one app that does all things you want to do. That is why I have a dozen graphic apps on my Ipad. Sketchclub is what I use most because it is laid out in a logical way and has loads of useful tools. It also has a friendly on line community that offers lots of help and lots of tutorials. I also use an app called Procreate because it has a cool brush design tool. SketchBook Express and Paintbook are pretty good apps but I find their interfaces to be kinda clunky. Inspire Pro has some nice natural media tools, but again a clunky interface. My go-to app is Artstudio. It has both drawing and filtering tools. It is as close to PhotoShop and I have seen on the Ipad.

Sorry for this long rambling post. I just wanted to clear a couple of things up. Now back to what I was doing before I interrupted myself.

The first program I listed was "Painter" now owned by Corel, which I have used since version one
as a professional graphic artist for some years myself, what did you find insulting in my post
recommending other programs to you?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-12 07:48 am   Permalink

Hey ATP, why don't you lay off the guy? He is clearly a grown up who doesn't feed trolls & you just aren't.
This, "I'm cool, I'm on the inside of the tiki scene & you're not" attitude gets really old.
Who the hell exactly put you in charge?
Obviously you have too much free time, but maybe try taking a day off from posting every thought in your head for a change?

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-12 08:49 am   Permalink

I have to jump in here, because I'm tired of seeing the back and forth malarkey.

I've been to two of the best art schools in the country, receiving a bachelors from one of them. One of the smartest things I ever heard a professor say, was that you learn nothing if all you receive in critique is positive feedback. No one's work is perfect, and no one worldview is correct. It's always good to receive opinions be they positive or negative. It helps you learn, it helps you grow. Unless you're Picasso, you suck. Not really, but there's always room for growth. And Gene, you have room for growth. I'm not saying you suck, but you certainly have room for growth. And instead of other people, and it does seem to be mostly aggravated by other people, putting down any negative criticism, take it and learn from it.

As far as the iPad goes, I agree with you. It's a portable Wacom Cintiq, which is the greatest invention for the digital realm since, well, computers. A Cintiq is what professional designers use the world over for an unbelievable amount of control. It's just as good if not better than doing things by hand. I'd bank on the better side. And the iPad is like a $400 Cintiq, with less control. And with the right tools, you can create some amazing things with an iPad. I've seen some gorgeous artwork created on an iPad, and Gene, I'll be straight with you, yours does not fall under that category. You have a good start, a load of spirit, and a positive attitude, but again, there's always room for improvement.

Consider taking art classes, or watching tutorials online. Hell, I've been working with computers and digital everything since the late 1980s. I'm still learning, and my work still could use improvement. I don't know if you've seen what Adobe just made, but it's going to be a revelation for touch screens. Check out the article:
http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/6/4305712/adobe-announces-first-hardware-the-project-mighty-smart-stylus

And in the meantime, since you've likened your working style to painting, are you using your finger? Or a stylus? Or a brush? If you haven't seen them, you must check them out. I've used them, and they really are a great tool. Here's the two best that I've used so far:
http://www.nomadbrush.com/
https://www.sensubrush.com/

And since you like working with a reference, and who doesn't, consider finding some of the hundreds of books available on tiki culture. I'm of the internet age, but I'll be damned if books don't do an infinitely better job of reference than the internet. I have to compile a list of the best that I've got soon, so I'll be sure to post that on here for you. They're fantastic, and I couldn't do the work I do without being inspired by them.

Also, since you do like to paint from reference, have you considered a camera lucida? Don't know what that is? Well, artists have used them for centuries. And no, it's not tracing. It's a wonderful artists tool, and I'm sad that I couldn't get in on this kickstarter, as I'm sure they'll cost a bloddy fortune when they come out. But consider getting one. It'll change your entire artistic experience. AND would be perfect for painting on an iPad.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/neolucida/neolucida-a-portable-camera-lucida-for-the-21st-ce

Man I want one.

So in summary, all thoughtful criticism is helpful, no matter how it's conveyed. Some people have more tact than others, some people choose to have more tact than others. No disrespect, ATP. I'm obviously not one to sugar coat things myself. Glean out all the good information you can, and grow as an artist. And for everyone else, stop stirring up shit. You don't need to white knight for someone else, Gene is apparently an older gentleman, well spoken, and capable of defending himself if he's offended.

Tiki on, man.

Edit: There's nothing wrong with positive criticism, either. You need a little of both to grow. Wendy is great for positive criticism, because she's a warm wonderful person that it's hard not to want to hug. But even her work needs some negative criticism here and there. And what does she do? Takes the suggestions she likes to make awesome mugs even more awesome-er. Nobody's perfect. Learn, grow, keep making art, and do what makes you happy.

[ This Message was edited by: hale tiki 2013-06-12 09:13 ]

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-12 08:50 am   Permalink

Hey Henrik, check out the tools I mentioned above, you might like them too!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2013-06-12 09:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-12 08:49, Hale Tiki wrote:
So in summary, all thoughtful criticism is helpful, no matter how it's conveyed. Some people have more tact than others, some people choose to have more tact than others. No disrespect, ATP. I'm obviously not one to sugar coat things myself. Glean out all the good information you can, and grow as an artist. And for everyone else, stop stirring up shit. You don't need to white knight for someone else, Gene is apparently an older gentleman, well spoken, and capable of defending himself if he's offended.

Tiki on, man.

My sentiments exactly. Thank you for that Hale Tiki

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-12 09:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-12 09:13, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-06-12 08:49, Hale Tiki wrote:

Tiki on, man.

My sentiments exactly. Thank you for that Hale Tiki

My pleasure. Also, it sounds bad that I just called you an old man, Gene. Sorry about that. What I meant to convey was that you're not some young buck that can't handle himself. You've got more years of life experience to draw on. That's all. Respect your elders, people!

[ This Message was edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-06-12 09:28 ]

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-12 11:42 am   Permalink

Hale Tiki has more eloquently said what I have been trying to convey to Gene myself the whole time
it's funny that when I make a more positive suggestion, you guys think I am attacking this guy
even more so then my original blunt criticism.

Well Hale Tiki is %100 right and said it better then I did, I have no more reason to comment here again
I guess I have to wrap anything I say in "false platitudes" & "feel good statements"
just to have a conversation with you babies.

Cocktail Time, Bitches!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-12 12:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-12 11:42, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Hale Tiki has more eloquently said what I have been trying to convey to Gene myself the whole time
it's funny that when I make a more positive suggestion, you guys think I am attacking this guy
even more so then my original blunt criticism.

Well Hale Tiki is %100 right and said it better then I did, I have no more reason to comment here again
I guess I have to wrap anything I say in "false platitudes" & "feel good statements"
just to have a conversation with you babies.

Cocktail Time, Bitches!

ATP, it's only 1PM your time.

swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-12 2:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-12 07:48, bigbadtikidaddy wrote:
Hey ATP, why don't you lay off the guy? He is clearly a grown up who doesn't feed trolls & you just aren't.
This, "I'm cool, I'm on the inside of the tiki scene & you're not" attitude gets really old.
Who the hell exactly put you in charge?
Obviously you have too much free time, but maybe try taking a day off from posting every thought in your head for a change?

Exactly!

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-12 9:44 pm   Permalink

Hi Swizzle, we miss you here in California.

Hey Gene did you notice my name pop up in Hale Tiki's comments? I decided that meant I should write.

Just a short story from my mom. She once pointed out the differences between two men giving speeches. One many was brilliant and articulate while the other personable and funny. They both spoke on the same topic. While the speakers were making their point they had different groups in the audience paying attention. We are all different and special.

When doing art we are reaching different groups of people too. Dan's done 3 posts on TC and a few emails. I've done a lot more. However neither of us can photoshop or manipulate digital images on devices such as Gene uses. His tutorials are perfect for us. I feel as if I decided to try this I have the best reference place to go. This thread is of great interest to me as it is without changes. I'm paying attention.

I like to see constructive criticism such as, "hey Wendy your perspective is off in the right
corner are you going to do something about it?" That helps. But if you tell me my tiki sucks and I ought to do more research, well that's your opinion and it may not jive with mine. You all know that Dan's collection is a good one and that we have stacks of books on tiki. I asked Dan to look at Gene's tiki and give me his opinion. He liked it, period. We both like the necklaces and how he made them.

All I have to say is that this is a great thread. Excellent photos and good detailed descriptions. It reaches the audience at my house and I sure hope the show continues. We need more people interested in tiki and we don't need to chase them away. Enough said, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-13 03:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-12 21:44, danlovestikis wrote:
Just a short story from my mom. She once pointed out the differences between two men giving speeches. One many was brilliant and articulate while the other personable and funny. They both spoke on the same topic. While the speakers were making their point they had different groups in the audience paying attention.

^This Also, once again, your mother sounds like an awesome person.

Trader Gino
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-13 07:35 am   Permalink

Hi Gene - Your work shows promise, keep it up!
Maybe try a couple practice pieces without the mirror/auto symmetry tool. You may be very surprised at how much character or added dimension the little imperfections of asymmetry can bring!

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Gino 2013-06-13 07:42 ]

View Profile of Trader Gino Send a personal message to Trader Gino  Goto the website of Trader Gino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation