FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Painting and Sculpting Tiki on the iPad and other crazy stuff
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Painting and Sculpting Tiki on the iPad and other crazy stuff
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 6:39 pm   Permalink

Looking at the Layers menu you can see a group of boxes. In one of them you see our tiki. In the others you see a checker board pattern. That means that they are empty. We are going to make our background in the bottom layer. But first we have to get the tiki out of the way so we can see what we are doing. At the top of the Layers menu we turn the opacity down and Mr tiki is gone. He is still there, just hidding. Now we go to the lower layer.

I filled that layer with a kinda ochre yellow.

I picked out a brush that looks like tree bark.

Tree bark all over the canvas. I varied the darkness in some areas.

A splatter brush and a brick red color.

More color variations.

No, I don't know what this is, but it will do as a background.

[ This Message was edited by: Gene S Morgan 2013-06-17 19:02 ]

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 7:05 pm   Permalink

The last post has a couple of images missing. Tried to edit it but just wouldn't work for me. Guess it will have to do as is.

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-18 9:47 pm   Permalink

Only a couple more post in this series. I'm thinking of doing a section on 3D sculpting apps. I'm trying to learn all of them now .... I think I'm really a bit crazy ... But let's finish this first.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-18 10:05 pm   Permalink

We add some saturation to the background just because we can.

Here is what it looks like with all layers visible. Notice, I have made a copy of the tiki and it is in the center layer. You can tell we are on that layer because it is blue. We will do some stuff to that layer. Yes folks, this is going somewhere.

We adjust the color by reducing the contrast and brightness. Is this guy crazy? It is all black. What good is that?

In filters we blur the image a bit to soften the edges..

In Transform we pull out the little circles to make the black image larger so it shows under our tiki. Hey, maybe this guy is not as crazy as we thought.

This is what they call in the digital graphics world a Drop Shadow. It mimics a shadow on the background. The black is toned down by lowering the opacity of that layer a bit. Makes the tiki stand out doesn't it? Next you will be pushing the Merge Down button in the lower right corner of the menu.

Now everything is combined onto one layer. That is always your last step when you are sure you have done all the damage you can to the image.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-19 7:19 pm   Permalink

This is pretty much the final image. The thing that separates digital art tools from traditional tools is that you are never really finished. By that I mean that there are many other tools and programs that can actually change your image in very radical ways. This is the main beef that traditional artist have with digital. The idea that you can make the image look different without any additional painting seems wrong to many of them. I can understand that concept because it seems that you can get results without your own creative input. But, to me it is just using more tools. Like all tools, you have to know how to use them to get the results you want. To me tools are tools. Paint brushes and pixel manipulating software are both tools to create an image. It depends on an imaginative brain to make those tools work.

This is an example of another app that's purpose it to add effects to an image. In this case I manipulated what is referred to HDR (high dynamic range) effect. The dynamic range consist of color and contrast elements of an image. You can see a radically different image can be produce with a few simple adjustments.

I mentioned earlier that I was not satisfied with the woodgrain effect I had used on my tiki. I have grown to like this tiki and decided he might work for a t-shirt design. I moved the image to my computer so I could do a little Photoshop magic on it. There are many effects filter you can use with Photoshop and other graphics programs. There is a program called Filterforge that is a tool for designing your own filters. I have created almost 100 such filters for special uses. This tiki surface treatment is from a 3D surface filter of mine. It is meant to imitate rough wood carving.

A closeup shows what looks like tool marks and chips, much better than the original wood grain.

Just for fun I added a background using another effects filter I created ... Well folks I think I'm done Thanks much for taking time to check out my rambles here. My only goal was to demonstrate some things that I have learned and encourage others to try to create their own tiki art. Hope I was somewhat helpful .

I started this series of post with this image, but that was so long ago. I did some more filtering in Photoshop to improve the color and saturation. I used another HDR filter to do that. I also decided to use the image without a background. That makes the image stand out better when printed.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-21 8:16 pm   Permalink

I can't even guess what's next. I really like the background that looks like a rug.

I agree that this swap art project is twisted and I've done it so that the men in the swap will not be disappointed. It's fun when you can make things that are weird!

Keep up the good work, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-25 8:12 pm   Permalink

Remember this? Folks have asked more about my patterns and I really intend to get back to them because I have come up with some new ideas. But, I have been working on sculpting apps lately and have got carried away as usual. Today though I got pretty excited about patterns again. I got something in the mail.

Hanging on a clothesline is our new shower curtain. I did not do this by using Spoonflower fabric. Instead I had Cafepress make it for me. My wife was happy because she did not have to do any sewing. We were really impressed by the curtain. The colors are actually stronger and more saturated than the original design. I think that is because it is printed on some kind of polyester rather than cotton. We love it.

Hanging in the shower, it makes the rest of the bathroom look sad. My wife is already talking about window curtains too.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-25 8:25 pm   Permalink

Wow that's really fun. It looks great. Once you start decorating with tikis it is hard to stop. You are having fun. I can feel it clear here in California, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-26 8:59 pm   Permalink

Thanks Wendy ... That is one problem living out here in the middle of nowhere and not the West Coast ... I don't have all those cool meeting things to go to so I can get some tiki stuff and I have to make my own instead ... It is fun decorating with tiki .....

mp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-28 2:20 pm   Permalink

Holy smokes Gene, the curtains look great!

View Profile of mp Send a personal message to mp  Email mp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-28 2:55 pm   Permalink

What a great idea for the fabric! Time for a bathroom overhaul

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-28 9:24 pm   Permalink

mp ... Thanks much, I am pretty happy with them ... Glad you like them ...

Sandra ... Thanks for looking ... But, you are starting to sound like my wife ... bathroom overhaul? Now I've started something ....

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-01 7:48 pm   Permalink

Sorry I know this thread is not always about Ipads, but I have never figured out how to change the title like other folks do. Us old folks have trouble with modern computer stuff sometimes.

So my brother-in-law works at a big discount store and they had a flood. They sold off water damaged stuff to the employes. He bought a pallet of solar lights and only half of them were really damaged. He gave me a case and I have been trying to figure out what to use them for ever since.

I bought a bunch of these tiki mugs at a flea market real cheap. I'm obviously not an expert on collecting tiki mugs.

The seams were cleaned pretty good, but the stain and glaze were not applied very well. I have seen similar mugs on line, but I think these are cheap knock-offs. I looked at the lights and looked at the mugs and then I followed a thread of Wendy's about making her Bob tiki torches and got an idea.

Started making the top by cutting a disc with a hole saw out of some scrap wood I had.

A quick top.

A little sanding and shaping was needed to get it to fit inside the mug.

For the top piece I drew a circle on a piece of plywood. If this works, I'm going to get a bigger hole saw so this will look more perfectly round.

With E6000 I glued the two together I'm starting to feel like I'm doing a MadDogMike project.

Putting them together.

Drilled a big hole in the top for the copper tube.

Sprayed the top with some flat ivory paint.

Glued in the copper tube.

All the parts ready to go together.

There it is. If I make more of these I will fill the mug with sand to weight them so they are not so top heavy.

Ok, it is a crappy photo, but what can I say, it was dark. I have not figured it out yet , but I think what I need is some kind of shade so the light will reflect down more so the tiki is more visible. Still thinking about that.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-01 9:24 pm   Permalink

I really enjoyed watching you make the solar lamp. I would have thought the light would show the tiki more too. Something to reflect the light down would be an interesting trick. Best Wishes, Wendy

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-05 7:37 pm   Permalink

Thanks Wendy ... I am still exploring ways to put a shade on it ... Gene

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation