FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Painting and Sculpting Tiki on the iPad and other crazy stuff
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Painting and Sculpting Tiki on the iPad and other crazy stuff
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-09 08:56 am   Permalink

Badd, your post was goodd.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-09 11:39 am   Permalink

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2013-08-08 20:29, tikiskip wrote:

But I don't think ATP attacked you personally.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So comparing a grown mans work with that of a 5 year olds is not an insult?

I guess I was wrong.
ATP you owe this five year old Aelita Andre an apology.
Cool story really.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccPoUrLv4wo

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-10 02:43 am   Permalink

Not that I care to get into the fireworks on either side, but if I recall ATP was commenting on the work, and not the man. Picasso's work was often compared to that of a five year old as well, and indeed for a very long time I hated his work. Now that I understand more of what he was trying to accomplish I can appreciate the man, and perhaps his work a little...although I still have to say I really am not much of a fan of Picasso but I will defend it for what it is.

All that is to say, is that it IS possible to have a separation of feeling between the artist and the art. I greatly appreciate all the pains Gene goes through to show his process, and his experimentation. I am a fan of the man, but less so of the work. But that is my own personal prejudices showing through. I am constantly amazed at how people can view the same piece of art through completely different eyes. I often have friends point out things to me in my own work that I really don't think I intended, but subconsciously it came through all the same and is there to see once it is pointed out. Other times I will have details pointed out that they will try to describe that for the life of me I cannot fathom and may never understand.

Art is by it's nature highly personal, and it takes someone of a very similar nature to your own to see what you intended. I cannot see in some pieces of Gene's any semblance to tiki, but yet in others I do indeed see it. I think more what I see is his passion for a subject that really interests him, and his interpretation of it. I used to make mini art portfolios based on Pink Floyd's music that I sold through a fan magazine, one of my customers wrote me back stating "how fascinating it is to hear music through someone else's ears by viewing your art". I felt that was a peculiar phrase at the time, but I understand it now; they saw my filtering of someone else's art through my own personal experiences, and knew it was as close as they could come to hearing the music in the exact way my own brain and ears would.

I feel like through Gene's posts I am seeing what he feels is tiki, and his passion for it. However no artist works in a vacuum and the best art in my opinion is highly researched first. I enjoy seeing Gene's posts, but I feel like currently at least he is stuck on the single idea that he thinks of as tiki.

Gene I encourage you to open yourself up to new insights through more research. No matter how much of a master artist someone is, no matter what level they have achieved, higher artistic heights can be attained through more research and a deep curiosity to want to find out more about your subject. I am not disdaining your work, I am wanting to see you dig deeper into the history and beauty of your subject so I can see those interpretations through your eyes. Never be satisfied with your work, always feel there is more to explore because there always is.

I am always excited to see an artist break through and reach new plateaus in their work, it always happens when they try a new direction. Gene I want to see what new places you explore in your work. I will keep following and watching to see where your path leads.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-11 6:57 pm   Permalink

Tigertail ... I just wanted to say I really enjoyed your post. You seem to think things through before you write. Even if I don't always agree with you, it does not bother me because your points are well made.

Your comments about Picasso were quite interesting. Lots of artist would not admit that they did not care for his art even if they didn't. He was a master after all. As you said everyone looks at art differently. Early this year I went to the Chicago Art Institute for a Picasso exhibit. They had 300 of his art works from all stages of his different styles. While I don't always like some of his later stuff too much either, I found my eyes opened up about where he came from and where he went. Below is an Ipad painting I made of the sculpture he designed for the Daley Center. It is not based on the actual work, but of one of the many preliminary sketches he produced. He made so many of those. I think it looks kind of tiki ........ Smile ........ I did always somewhat admire his intense imagination and creativity and drive ... He got up one morning and painted a picture and drop dead in the afternoon.

People don't seem to believe me when I say I know I am no artist. I did art and crafts for years. I sculpted in clay and sold it. Maybe that was all crap as well, but the profits bought me some nice musical instruments. I knew coming in that there would be some backlash to what I did and I was willing to take it and I have no bad feelings about your attitude to my images. You are a fine artist and your opinion is worthwhile to me. I will never be an artist at your level, but as hard as it is to believe, I am fine with that. I've done lots of stuff in my life that i was pretty good at. Ain't got time to be good at everything, I'm very old.

One of your comments that I see quite differently than you do is the fact that folks think I never studied tiki enough. I think the problem is just the opposite. I started studying tiki back when we called it the fifties. (here in the Midwest we never say mid century modern) I covered this before earlier in this thread, but in the seventies I sculpted tiki mask based on info from a book called "Oceanic Art". It was written in 1966 by an Italian during the time the first tiki movement was going on. None of the island art (real stuff from museums) looked much like most of the stuff that is called tiki today. That was not the only book I read. I am a collector. When I first came here a couple of years ago I again researched through Tiki Magazine and the artist here. I tried for awhile to fit in, but I just could not force myself to create endless angry looking warriors with big teeth. My imagination went elsewhere and now it's very stylized crappy not very tiki tikis for me. In the end you must realize I just design t-shirts and that is no big deal.

Thanks again for your comments ... it made me feel better after a couple of days of drama hijacked my thread again.

..... Gene

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-11 9:16 pm   Permalink

Starting with minimum almost monochrome color variation I like to slowly add slight color and contrast increases. I really like the very primitive final image.

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-11 10:13 pm   Permalink

My suggestion would be to focus less on quantity and more on quality. Rather than posting 10 color variations of the same thing, try them out for yourself, find one that you really like, and then keep playing with until its perfect. When I did graphic design we would go through hundreds of variations when creating a logo. In the end, the client saw three of them. We'd only show the three we liked the best that met their needs. I'd suggest being your own harshest critic and whittling out the stuff you're not thrilled about. I think you'll really start to see rapid improvement in your work.

Keep having fun with it! There's been a lot of growth since page 1.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-12 9:07 pm   Permalink

TikiTacky .... Thanks for your comments ... It is nice to hear calm sensitive voices who are actually trying to help .... I'm sorry that my communication skills seem to fail me at times .... What I post are not meant to be variations of an image, but steps gone through to reach a final look, much as you suggest. Originally I described each step as I passed through them. I thought that I was repeating myself too much and started doing a shorthand version of the process at the beginning of the series. The last image is usually the one I think is best. Perhaps I have a faulty eye and I am wrong much of the time. Me using the same sculpt throughout several process demos is really what you are talking about of having several examples to chose from. I know none of my work is fine art and some of the in-process images can be viewed as bad art, but that is my whole point of what I'm doing. I don't think it is any different from what other folks do here to show how they create what they do. I don't mean to be saying, "Hey, look at my cool art. Isn't it great." I am aware of my ability and limitations. My goal from the beginning was always to demonstrate a couple of Ipad apps that I thought were nice in hopes I could encourage others to give them a try and come back and show some cool stuff they did that was sure to be far better than mine.

I visited your t-shirt shop. I would hope you have great success with the shop. Your shirts sure fit into modern pop tiki culture. You capture a real appealing vintage look. I always like fun designs like that .....

Thanks again ..... Gene

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-13 6:28 pm   Permalink

In my early post about sculpting I discussed the how Ipad sculpts using the 123D Creature app could be 3D printed using a company called Sculpteo. I had never used that 3D printing service before, so I wanted to come up with a sculpt that would be cheap to produce. It was just a test after all. This is the sculpt I finally sent them. I really would have preferred another tiki, but this one had the proper amount of detail for testing the quality of the print and was the cheapest. It was my choice.

Well this was an adventure, some good and some bad. I didn't know I was ordering from France until I saw the return address on the package. I mean, I have nothing against France, but it took a month and a half to get my tiki print. Shapeways, who I have used before took half that time. Another problem was that there were voids in the pendant in several places. They had sent me an e-mail saying there were some weak spots in my design but they could print it anyway. Well the weak spots were more like holes. You can see by the photo I did a fix using some air dry clay and wood putty. The thing that I really liked about the print was the material they used. It was almost stone like with a nice fine pebble grain surface. When I made the mold this surface transferred quite well.

I got a couple of real good tiki cast. The rough surface was perfect for the final dry brush effect. My wife really liked the larger size of these pendants. The one in the middle is and older design of mine that my wife wears all the time. Just put it in for a size comparison. I will probably use these folks again if I can figure out how to come up with sculpts that are cheap enough without cutting into the back so much that they get all holy …...

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-14 8:23 pm   Permalink

A new sculpt of a kind of monkey man tiki. I really liked the face shape. I used my usual methods to add effects, but the final image was given some extra detail, sharpness, and contrast. In the end I obtained a nice subtle light source which brought more reality to the image.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-15 6:28 pm   Permalink

This different monkey man tiki was just as I wanted it. The minute I tried this side pose I knew just how I wanted the final image to look. It turned out exactly like it looked in my imagination. It is so much fun when that happens.

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-15 7:07 pm   Permalink

Really like how your sculptio sculpts turned out. The real texture and depth make all the difference in the world. The digital version I really don't like much, but the real cast one is cool, I dig it! Really reminds me a LOT of those awesome old cereal or Cracker Jack toys I have seen from the 50's and 60's. I want to see more of your 3D printed stuff it has a "daddy-O" vibe (if you know what I mean) that is really great! I can't get over the difference between looking at the digital version and a real version it's like night and day.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-19 7:09 pm   Permalink

TigerTail ... Thanks for your comments .... finally someone likes something I did .... I do have another pendant coming from shapeways this time. Might get it this week yet.......

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-19 7:16 pm   Permalink

Same guy as the last image, but looking like a whole new man. I learned that from watching makeover shows on daytime TV.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-20 07:26 am   Permalink

I'm just back from a wonderful time at Tiki Oasis 13. I've just caught up on your thread by reading the back posts and viewing your digital art. I love the larger pendants, that tiki face clicks with me. I hope you'll do more of these casts.

I want you to know that I appreciate all the time and effort it takes to do your thread. I spend an hour each morning updating mine. It gives me joy to connect here on Tiki Central. I can see it does that for you too.

Keep it up, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-20 9:13 pm   Permalink

Thanks so much for your comments Wendy ... Yes I am working on more pendants .... Hope to get a couple more done before the cold weather sets in .....

Glad you had another nice trip .... You and Dan have so much fun at all this tiki stuff. It is so cool when someone can retire from a job and continue having fun and being so creative with something they love. It has always amazed me how much you get done in a day and still have time to post pictures. It is kinda time consuming for me to keep posting and I did not intend to keep this thread going this long, but I have been having just too much fun to quite.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation