FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Painting and Sculpting Tiki on the iPad and other crazy stuff
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Painting and Sculpting Tiki on the iPad and other crazy stuff
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-20 9:21 pm   Permalink

This is my latest tiki design sculpt that is destine to become a pendant. I like the simple but strong primitive look of it. It will probably go through a couple of different detail fazes before I get to that point.

I added some surface texture and brought out the detail. I wanted to try several quite different surface effects on the images. In this one I wanted something with both strong color and texture. As always, the beginning effects do not give hint to what the final image looks like. I think the rustic colors enhance the age and surface of the tiki.

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-21 7:01 pm   Permalink

Dramatic angles and lighting lead to dramatic images. I really like the sloppy strange background. It is not defined enough to be able to guess what it is. I liked the mystery. For more mystery I colored the lighting kind of strangely. In the end strange is what the image became.

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-22 6:56 pm   Permalink

With this different pose I wanted to explore different color balances. As usual I started with a basically monochrome color balance. I experimented with several modes and saturations. I kept coming back to my basic purple blue limited color image. Even though I always say that strong color prints better, I couldn't help but like the simple almost monochrome second image best. I haven't printed it yet, but here is hoping.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-25 8:16 pm   Permalink

The right textures can make an image old and rustic looking. The final image with it's light blue /white highlights over a brown/red sculpt and the over the top texture background give the feeling of an old weathered relic. And, those are the best kind of tikis to me. I'm always very happy when it all comes together so well like this.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-25 8:40 pm   Permalink

http://tikiroom.com/img/73658x5216c134.jpg

I was once told by an art instructor that if you put pink in a painting it will sell. When I go to galleries I always look to see pink. I was drawn to your multicolored tiki with pink! Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-26 7:59 pm   Permalink

Thanks much for the pink tip Wendy ... I guess I'll have to paint everything pink from now on ..... Gene

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-26 8:20 pm   Permalink

OK, this is some real craziness. I have been thinking about this for awhile. On my PC in the Sculptris program I took a sphere and distorted into an log shape.

In another program I drilled a large hole in the center. I won't go into detail about how I did that because it is complicated computer stuff. I covered that in my earlier Sculptris thread. Do we have a cup?

Not much detail in the tiki. I was just experimenting to see if this was even possible.

Looking down from above and the tiki detail shows through a bit on the inside much like it did on my earlier 123D Creature sculpts. Since it is not intended to be the final mug, just a prototype to be molded for clay, I did not worry too much about that.

Just a little more detail added. My idea is have this 3D printed and make a mold of the print and cast some ceramic mugs from it. A couple of problems. Something this size would cost a bunch of money to have it printed. Actually Shapeways will make a print in ceramics. How they do that I do not know, but what I do know is they charge a fortune for it. Since some of my pendant experiments did not come out as good as I hoped for, experimenting with something like this might cost more than I can talk my wife into. So this will have to be a project I put on hold until I get my own 3D printer.

See the green ball in the top center of the program interface? That is the material setting. You can glaze your sculpt with different materials. They affect the color, shading, and glossiness of the surface. You can even make your own materials in Photoshop or other graphic program. This is a material I made called Pea Green.

A strong purple material.

Red with a bright light above. Materials are fun ….....

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-28 1:04 pm   Permalink

I think I like the ones without all the texture better, I dig the last bright red one... reminds me of a cross between tiki and a demon kabuki mask. I wouldn't worry about the interior of the mug having intentions from the outside, I think most of them I have seen do anyways. I wonder if there isn't some way you could cast molds from the ones you get from these companies and then make them out of some kind of material yourself. Actually I think some of these would look pretty cool cast in transparent colored resin. I dunno, I am sure you probably know more about that stuff... I am just a humble painter.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-28 7:08 pm   Permalink

Thanks for your comments Tigertail ... I really like your idea of clear resin. To make it hollow would require a more complicated mold than a ceramic mold. I worry a bit about them being food and drink safe. I have trouble getting a really smooth surface with resin. But, they might make cool candle holders or lamps. Thanks much .... You got me thinking ... and that is so dangerous .....

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-28 7:16 pm   Permalink

Yes, this guy again. I wanted a little more detail before I sent if off to the 3D printer. I brought the Ipad sculpt into Sculptris in my laptop. I cleaned it up some and in an effort to make friends here I added some cracked wood texture that folks love so much. I sent it off to Shapeways this time.

It was hard to get them both in good focus at the same time. This new test I had printed at 2 inches as compared to the 3 inches on the other one. I really need a printer of my own. All this waiting for the mail gets on my nerves. If I had a printer I could make a dozen test a day.

This smaller size and finer detail has brought back the trouble I always had with my earlier pendants. Air bubbles in the resin seem to collect at the small detail causing pits in the final pendant. Next to these pendants are a couple of my earlier designs. I use a gray car primer as a base coat and then antique with a dark color. The antiquing really makes the pits show up. Oh well, it just makes them look more rustic. I took Wendy's art teacher's advice and finished them off with a pink dry brush application. Dry brushing is my favorite part. It really brings the sculpture to life. My wife says she still thinks the 3 inch size is the best, so I guess I will have to send away another test.

mp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-28 11:05 pm   Permalink

God Tiki Damn GENE! Im lovin the vintage style pendants.
Straight outta da sixties. Nice stuff!

[/quote]

View Profile of mp Send a personal message to mp  Email mp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-29 7:12 pm   Permalink

Glad you like them mp .... I'm old .... I remember the 60's better than yesterday .... must have not done enough drugs .....

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-29 7:36 pm   Permalink

I'm on page 20 of this thread and still getting an average of 150 hits a day. Usually I would find it hard to stop with that many people still looking in, but I have a couple of projects going on so I am going to have to at least slow down a bit. I want to thank all that followed my silliness. I am sorry that there was so much drama that distracted the aim of what I was doing. I tried hard to ignore most of that stuff, but I did realize that even the guys who somewhat supported me did not like what I did either. Makes me wonder who actually was following me. I'm definitely a different animal and expected some conflict. But, as I said before, I was a musician for over 2 decades and the audience here is no worse than some I had to handle on stage. It reminds me of that guy in the audience who after a drink or 2 would start yelling: “Play some David Allen Cole!” Anyone who ever really listened to me for more than 10 minutes would know that I ain't ever about to “play David Allen Cole”. So with this last post I will make for awhile I will address some of the issues that bring some people to believe I might play David Allen Cole or do stuff any other way than I know how.

Here is this guy again. I promise this will be the last time I do a long step by step for this tiki. I never really planed to keep this thread going this long. I just came to give folks a little taste of a couple of Ipad apps I discovered. I know I might have called them tutorials in the beginning, but I'm not really artist enough to teach anything about art. I find cool stuff and like to pass it along to others. I thought some simple little step by steps might send some people in the right direction to produce there own tiki images with some cool tools. It is all fun guys …... I applied a different texture to this guy and away I went.

It is funny how I start with some off the wall color combo and end up going somewhere completely different. Folks have questioned why I do not try to make my images more like paintings. Somebody said I should do stuff more like Brad Parker. What I do works for me. Brad Parker is a cool artist, but I do not try to produce images like him, or want to be him, and let's face it, I don't have the talent or ability to be him or any of the other great artist here. What I do is what I do. I never call it great art. What you see here is tiki portrait designs. I started this style for t-shirts. I never expected any of this to hang on anyone's walls. But, this last group of images have been fun and I have been making them 9 by 12. Some of them I like well enough to think they might not look to bad on a wall.

I introduced some brown and some green while leaving some purple. I think it is nice when you can add some age and patina to the tiki. Anything made from wood or stone left out in the elements will get some color over time. I think that is one of the things folks object to in my style. My approach to tiki design is an aged rustic look.

Bringing up the contrast and bringing back more purple I think gives the tiki an old worn look. You can see the age in the wood. I think it is pretty funny when folks say my images aren't tiki. In many ways I believe they might be too much tiki. I try not to exaggerate features so far that they become cartoony. Even my cartoons are clean and straight forward. I have studied this forum and have run across many times where someone makes this long list of what is and what is not tiki. (The “is not” list is always longer) Then I visit mug sellers web sites, and see all kinds of crazy stuff. In other tiki art you can see everything from zombies to surfboard riding tikis (Got nothing against either one, but I don't make the rules. Wendy's zombie hand Bob was just too cool). And, my somewhat stylized, but serious tikis are on the “not tiki” list. I talk about creativity a lot. Creativity can be defined as “not following the rules”. That's me folks …....

I just upped the saturation a bit and the colors are stronger. Finally an image I really like. If you don't like it, that is OK too. This is how I do it. Now, if you don't like it because it is digital, please come into the 21st century. This is the future. It amazes me the number of folks who reject images just because they are digital. And, even though so many hate digital they have suggested lots of software and apps that I should be using. Believe me I have tried them all and use the ones that work for me to do what I want to do. I'm pretty new to computers. I made my first digital graphics in 1969 on a Univac 1004. It was Snoopy of course. Man, I could never have been able to imagine making images on an ipad back then, and I read so much science fiction at that time. It is magic folks. What a wonderful thing to have access to so many cool tools to make fun imaginary things. For free or a couple of bucks you can have an art studio app where ever you go to play with when those creative urges kick in. Hope I was helpful showing some of the ways you can do that ….....

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-15 2:18 pm   Permalink

It's Coe, David Allan Coe.
Cole is for Slaw, as in Cole Slaw.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2013-09-16 06:10 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-16 8:26 pm   Permalink

I want to apologize to folks who checked in yesterday. I do in no way condone vulgar language. So nasty and so sad. At least it is gone now, but I feel my thread has been soiled by that nastiness.

David Allan Cole Slaw is a crude, mean-spirited, redneck, bigot. And even much worse than that as well. I am none of those things. You may understand why I want nothing to do with his music. I do not live in that world and am so sorry for those who do. They tend to be folks who want to pull everyone else down to there level.

If you do not know what I am talking about, I'm very glad.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation