FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Painting and Sculpting Tiki on the iPad and other crazy stuff
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Painting and Sculpting Tiki on the iPad and other crazy stuff
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-04 10:28 pm   Permalink

tigertail ..... Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I have used polymer clay as well and you are right, it is really fun. I used to make jewelry out of sculpty and as you say it is easy to do and very versatile. I am afraid I had to give it up too. I have a bit of a problem with most kinds of chemicals including the vapor from polymer clay. Due to some health issues I can have a bad reaction to many environmental and chemical agents. I do like digital, but would love the chance to get back to real world crafts. I been following your studio building project. I looks real cool . Gonna be great when you get it done ..... Gene

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-04 10:31 pm   Permalink

Another cool thing about digital painting is that you can get a glaze color effect by just adjusting color and saturation of the image. Too strong of colors but I will fix that soon.

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-04 10:34 pm   Permalink

Added some more color.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-04 10:37 pm   Permalink

Ok, now something not easy to do with real paint. In SketchClub you can actually create your own brushes. It is an easy thing to do but pretty hard to explain. I have made many texture brushes. This one is somewhat like surface cracks. I use it to age an image.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-04 10:41 pm   Permalink

Now I go to another layer. (Something else that is possible in digital painting) I paint in some foliage and grasses on this background layer, using more brushes I have designed myself. Using layers allows you to work on that layer without affecting any other layer. That way, if you mess up, you just delete that layer and start over without losing the rest of your work.

Gwen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-04 10:42 pm   Permalink

Hi Gene. I am about to embark on learning to do digital art, so I am quite interested to see what can be done with just an ipad without even using a stylus. Keep up the good work!

View Profile of Gwen Send a personal message to Gwen  Goto the website of Gwen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-04 10:43 pm   Permalink

I put some strong bright texture over my background.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-04 10:48 pm   Permalink

Thanks Gwen .... I think you will find digital art fun. If you are going to use an iPad I would suggest joining an art community like the one with SketchClub. There are lots of helpful artist there and good tutorials and classes. Good Luck .... Gene

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-04 10:52 pm   Permalink

I thought the last background was too bright, so I just adjusted the brightness. I could have just hit UNDO and tried something else. Undo is one of the most wonderful aspects of digital painting. You can always get rid of mistakes without having to start over. You can't do that with real paint. Well, not very easy anyway.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-04 11:08 pm   Permalink

A little finishing touch is the dark vignette I added to the edges. I could keep playing, but I think it is finished.

LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-05 08:46 am   Permalink

I just went through 4 pages of oyur stuff and find your technique quite interesting! I am trying to teach myself Illustrator but think the iPad looks cool. I don't have one but I have a Nexus tablet that's a bit smaller, maybe I'll search out some free drawing apps. I admire your patience! I'm no artist and I'm severely challenged in the patience department.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-05 8:13 pm   Permalink

Lori ... thanks for checking out my stuff .... I have used most vector PC programs at one time or another starting with Corel Draw way back. I find it is an interesting method for producing images but never really got the hang of it until I joined SketchClub. (Though I'm really not very good at it) I have done lots of graphic on the computer, but I think I have improved a lot since I started using the iPad. Using a stylus and fingers really makes a big difference. A mouse or even a wacom tablet just do not very natural to me. I found following step by step some of the teaching videos on the SketchClub site actually caused me to change my methods. I'm a old guy, if I can improve I think anyone can. Good luck .... Gene

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-06 8:02 pm   Permalink

I try a lot of different styles and subjects in practicing my digital painting on my Ipad with the SketchClub app. I slip a little island culture into some of the stuff. This cartoon came to me in a dream, It keeps me awake sometimes to quote Steve Earle.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-06 8:05 pm   Permalink

As a framed print I gave him a lei. Did it make him any sexier?

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-06 8:07 pm   Permalink

For the t-shirt design I lost the lei. Makes him look tougher I think. Easy to take things away when you are working in layers.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation