FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Painting and Sculpting Tiki on the iPad and other crazy stuff
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Painting and Sculpting Tiki on the iPad and other crazy stuff
zerostreet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-10 03:35 am   Permalink

Nice work Gene! I've been meaning to check out spoonflower as well!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-10 10:01 am   Permalink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKr-WKT4aiA

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-10 8:24 pm   Permalink

mp .... I like the lamp idea ... I'm not sure most folks would think my designs would qualify as tapa cloth ... Thanks for that compliment ... My wife is trying to decide between that design or another one for curtains and shower curtains in our bathroom ... Our bath is a kinda tiki room in our house .....

Robert ... Oh I can just imagine some of your images as fabric designs. You can get full size images as well as patterns done at spoonflower. As I mentioned to mp they could be made into curtains. Folks would love to have some of your paintings as room decor. And, I love your Peanuts images. They would make cool fabric designs as well. Thanks much for checking out my thread.

Tikiskip ... I had seen that video before ... Are you in the band?

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-10 8:27 pm   Permalink

I'm not posting any new stuff today ... tomorrow I will show another way of creating a tiki image. I'll show how Happy Tiki came about.

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-11 7:08 pm   Permalink

I'm going to do another step by step to show where Happy Tiki came from. This time it will start with just some basic cartooning. Start with a light gray background. Using a darker gray and a sketching pen I make some simple features. By the way I do this using only my finger on my Ipad. Modern technology is just so fantastic. I had a pretty good imagination as a kid, but in a million years I could never have predicted this.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-11 7:11 pm   Permalink

Another feature of digital art programs and apps is they have a mirror feature. So anything you draw on the left is repeated on the right. That makes starting easier, but I usually shut it off early on in the process. Keeping it pretty simple here at first.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-11 7:14 pm   Permalink

First I deleted the gray background so Happy could float. With an airbrush I add shading Then I shut off mirror to start adding some shaping.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-11 7:18 pm   Permalink

OK, someone said: “Where is the color?” Here it comes. Guys who use real paint might start glazing in some color at this point. I do it with layers. This image illustrates what the app looks like. On the left you see the layers. I copied the tiki into a second layer. As you can see the layer combination mode is set to overlay. Now the magic.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-11 7:21 pm   Permalink

With the airbrush I color the top layer with a nice brown. When the layers are merged together everything is a shade of brown. Digital is so much fun.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-11 7:25 pm   Permalink

Next step is to use the smudge tool to soften the lines and do a little shaping. Looks a little less like a cartoon now.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-11 7:28 pm   Permalink

This may seem like an odd step but I have my reasons. With a filter in the app I increased both the contrast and saturation. This may look a little overdone, but that will soon change. (Tomorrow that is)

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-12 6:54 pm   Permalink

I have made several grunge brushes that look like scratches and cracks. Using a low level of black I cover areas of the tiki starting with a larger brush and working down to smaller sizes around the nose and other areas where I wanted to define shading a little more.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-12 6:58 pm   Permalink

Using the same brushes I switch to white and add highlights. The cartoon is starting to have a more three dimensional shape.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-12 7:02 pm   Permalink

Layers allow a guy to experiment. I made some deep cracks on a layer because all the good artist do that. Mine looked really crappy. So, I deleted that layer. That and the undo button are real life savers for us not so great artist.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-12 7:05 pm   Permalink

I ended up using a wood grain layer over the tiki. It gave in a kind of mahogany look. Not very authentic, but nice. But I thought the color was too strong.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation