FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Painting and Sculpting Tiki on the iPad and other crazy stuff
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 )
Painting and Sculpting Tiki on the iPad and other crazy stuff
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-17 02:31 am   Permalink

I was going to ask what happened and who this Coe guy is... but I guess in this case ignorance is bliss. Have you painted the two new 3D prints yet Gene? I was wondering how they turned out? Very curious about the larger one in particular. I just watched "Hell's Half Acre" for the first time, great little noir flick, I saw at the end when the bad guy gets gunned down in front of a tourist store in Honolulu something in the window that kinda reminded me of the spirit of your work.

See the little carved coconut face in the right side of the window? Your work actually looks more tiki than that, but it to me has that same sort of 50's/60's surf tourist feel if you know what I mean? Stuff that was made for the masses of tourists, but still had a bit of unique island charm. That's the sort of thing your work reminds me of, and to me that is not a bad thing at all, I view a lot of the Coco Joe's keychains and whatnots in the same light as well.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-17 06:10 am   Permalink

For those not here at the time what I posted was a link to
David Allan Caesar salads Rodeo song.
I also posted the lyrics to said song.

Am not a huge Coe fan, you brought him up.
But the Rodeo song was one we liked back in the day.
It has a good tune and in this song Mr. Coe directs all
of his anger to a guy named Johnny.
They do not say if Johnny is black or white, but only that he is a one ball man.
Whatever that is.

Read the above as Groucho Marx would.
And don't think of it in a "man this is all hate filled" way, Think Funny.

I will lay off Gene.
BUT... I can't let you try to twist my words.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-18 7:19 pm   Permalink

Tiger Tail I always enjoy your post. You spend more time thinking about things than most folks. You always come up with some clever way to illustrate your opinions.

I have not done much lately with making pendants. It is frustrating for me to have to ship designs off and wait for prints back and then start the process over again when it does not turn out as I pictured. I admit I have some ADD issues and lack patience. I am anticipating getting my own 3D printer this winter and that would help a lot. I count on my wife to help me decide what works and what doesn't. She wears a different tiki pendant everyday and checks how each looks on different color clothing. I colored these very light (trying to get a bone look) for dark clothing.

You sent me on a real adventure when suggesting my tikis reminded you of Coco Joe's key chains. I dug up every web image I could find to try to understand what you meant. I hope it wasn't this guy you meant. I don't think mine look quite that primitive. The brow line is too crude and those colored plastic eyes really turn me off. It is so tacky.

I finally found some key chains. The groups were small and hard to see, but I did not recognize anything like my stuff here. And, more more colored plastic eyes, yuk.

I like this guy. The mouth could be better and there is to much going on the forehead and the brow line could have been better. The eyes and nose are really cool though. I think if I would have presented one of my tikis with that head shape the resident tiki “experts” would have got out the ropes and threatened lynching. (they have done it before, not to me, but I'm not the only one they bully. I read the forum)

I like this last guy. Looks kinda like the creature from the black lagoon. He is pretty fun and the forehead is well designed. Of course the plastic eyes would have to go.

The coconut head in your movie still I think is pretty far from anything I have done. I never do painted eyes. When I was first married and a poor college student I had my mask collection hanging on our apartment wall. (I have been collecting mask from around the world for over 50 years. My house is full of them. At that time I only had about a half a dozen) I bought a coconut head almost exactly like that one and hung it on the wall with my mask. A couple of months later I took one of mask off the wall to dust and it fell apart in my hands. It was eaten up. I found a hole in the coconut head and when I broke it open I found a termite nest. It had to be there when I bought it, termites are not common here in the cold Midwest. My mask collection ended up reduced to just a couple. So, seeing that coconut head again gave me nightmares.

Thanks you for your post. As you can see I really follow through when someone make constructive criticism.

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-04 03:21 am   Permalink

Sorry Gene first off I apologize for the late reply: been very busy and the weather around here has not been making it easy to get stuff done.

As for the Cocojoes keychains; you had a few in your post that I was referencing like the "Black Lagoon" guy, but I remember seeing some other ones similar but a bit more surf/Big Daddy Roth sort of influence made of the same material and having the same plastic jewel eyes. I am thinking now that they must have been Cocojoe knock offs, and have not been able to find pictures of them. Now its just going to bother the holy heck out of me till I find pictures of them. I remember as a kid in the 70's they had them in little cardboard counter display boxes at a store I used to frequent, and even as a kid I thought they must have been leftovers from an earlier era.

Sorry for the wild goose chase there. I will keep looking for them, but I have a horrible feeling they are rare possibly a one off or from a defunct company. They did have the cheesy jewel eyes you don't like though... I think most of the tiki keychains I remember did.

Meanwhile I look forwards to seeing more of your 3D prints, I think those are pretty cool and have a very 60's retro vibe.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-06 8:35 pm   Permalink

Tiger Tail .... Heard about your weather ... hope you came through without too much damage ... I got relatives in the Pacific Northwest .... Been there ... Like Bill Cosby used to say ..."I got a Rain Tan"

I like doing research. You did me a favor sending me into the past. I learned stuff I did not know. I am always happy to do that .. Thanks ..... Gene

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-07 07:43 am   Permalink

http://tikiroom.com/img/73658x523a5d0c.jpg

I'm with MP, I love these designs that you've done. Very cool, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-07 7:07 pm   Permalink

Thanks much Wendy ......

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation