FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » The essentials for stocking a tiki bar
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
The essentials for stocking a tiki bar
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-05-01 9:37 pm   Permalink

I spent a few hours creating a spreadsheet of ingredients for tiki drinks based off Beachbum Berry's Remixed with the help of the Grogalizer and then trying to come up with a sweet spot based on how many drinks they were used in. Based on my research, these seem to be the ingredients to buy to make the most drinks with the lowest number of ingredients sorted by how many total drinks the ingredients appear in within the Remixed book (phew!):

Lime Juice
Light Puerto Rican Rum
Orange Juice
Pineapple Juice
Lemon Juice
Angostura Bitters
Dark Jamaican Rum
Sugar Syrup
Passion Fruit Syrup
Gold Puerto Rican Rum
Grapefruit Juice
Orgeat Syrup
Grenadine
Falernum
Demerara Rum
Pernod
Club Soda
151 Demerara Rum
Gin
Orange Curacao
Honey

With these ingredients you can make 38 different drinks, including one drink from the Tiki Central Drink Contest. Take out the Pernod and it's 34, which might be acceptable since Pernod is a bit pricey.

I humbly submit that these 21 ingredients should approximate the minimum to stock a tiki bar for the best return based on number (not price!) of ingredients.

Edit: Here's the list of drinks you can make with these (minus the TC Drink Contest, because that isn't showing up now for some reason):
Boo Loo
Carioca Hawaiian Cocktail
Cobra
Derby Daiquiri
Doctor Funk
Don's Daiquiri
Don's Own Planters
Hawaiian Eye
Hula Hula Cocktail
Hurricane
Iuka's Grogg
Kapu-Kai
Mai Kai Barrel o' Rum
Mai Tai (Hawaiian Style)
Mara-Amu
Navy Grog
Pago Pago
Pieces of Eight
Planter's Punch
Q.B. Cooler
Rainkiller
Royal Hawaiian
Rum Lift
Rum Tropical
Saturn
Shrunken Skull
Sneaky Tiki
Sidewinder's Fang
South Pacific Punch
Stephen Remsberg's Planter's Punch
Surf Room Mai Tai
Sven-Tiki
Tailless Scorpion
Tiger Shark
Tonga Planter's
Trader Vic Grog
Waikikian

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2013-05-02 17:38 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2013-05-02 17:39 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-02 05:58 am   Permalink

Pernod Anise is $30. Pernod absinthe is $70. I always assumed that because it doesn't say absinthe, that it required the liqueur.

Am I wrong about that?

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wichita Lime Man
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-02 08:13 am   Permalink

The Beachbum notes in Remixed that Herbsaint is an acceptable substitute for Pernod. It's about $24 (locally).

View Profile of Wichita Lime Man Send a personal message to Wichita Lime Man      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-02 08:24 am   Permalink

Cocktails which call for Pernod often require only a few drops or so. (A little goes a long way, so much so that I keep and use a small refillable squeeze bottle in my bar.) You can save some money (and shelf space) if your local liquor store sells the small bottles of Pernod.

I think my 750ml bottle of Pernod will be around for many years at the rate I'm using it. And I make sazeracs, too, which require preparing the glass with a Pernod rinse...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-02 08:41 am   Permalink

Good work, TikiTacky! Like Wichita says, sub Herbsaint for the Pernod - it only runs about $18 for 750 ml here in town

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2013-05-02 08:46 ]

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-02 09:52 am   Permalink

Matches my list pretty well.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-02 10:36 am   Permalink

IMHO, I'd say you could get by with subbing Gold Puerto Rican for Light/Silver, if money's a concern. You also save a few bucks choosing Coruba over Myer's Dark, and its a better rum. No sub for Lemon Hart 151, though!

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Below Decks
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-02 11:09 am   Permalink

Thanks for all that work. I'd love to see the spreadsheet. (So now you've got to make it even easier for us and list all the drinks in Beachbum's book(s) that the ingredients will make!)

View Profile of The Below Decks Send a personal message to The Below Decks  Goto the website of The Below Decks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-05-02 11:30 am   Permalink

I'll try and put that up tonight.

Edit: Done.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2013-05-02 17:46 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-02 12:24 pm   Permalink

Guys, any word on the Pernod Absinthe vs Pernod Anise? Which one are the original recopies supposed to use? The books could say specifically Pernod Absinthe, and I just don't have them handy to see.

I only have the mobile app handy, as I'm at work, but if I remember correctly from the books, it just says Pernod.
The Pernod Absinthe and the Pernod Anise liqueur taste VERY similar. I actually prefer the taste of the Pernod Absinthe over the Herbsaint. I find it to be less syrupy.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-05-02 1:45 pm   Permalink

The Beachbum is talking about the Anise, not the Absinthe.

arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-02 1:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-02 12:24, Hale Tiki wrote:
Guys, any word on the Pernod Absinthe vs Pernod Anise? Which one are the original recopies supposed to use? The books could say specifically Pernod Absinthe, and I just don't have them handy to see.

Absinthe was banned in the U.S. from 1915 to 2007. So it's doubtful any U.S. bar was using it during that time period.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-02 2:48 pm   Permalink

Huzzah! Okay, so, for those of you out there worried about the prohibitive cost of the Absinthe, the Pernod is $25-$30 from Hi-Time, Binny's, or your local liquor store!

TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-05-02 5:45 pm   Permalink

For what it's worth, adding Absinthe to this list only gains you the Cobra's Fang.

TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-05-02 6:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-02 09:52, Swanky wrote:
Matches my list pretty well.

Very similar! But it looks like for your 19 ingredients you can make 15 drinks, whereas my list of 21 ingredients gets you 38 drinks. I worked hard to find the sweet spot (although see my note below—you can in fact only make 22 drinks only using Remixed, which gets us much closer).

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2013-05-02 18:15 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation