[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The essentials for stocking a tiki bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
The essentials for stocking a tiki bar
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-02 6:13 pm   Permalink

D'oh! I made a mistake. Although I configured Grogalizer for Remixed and TC Drink Contest, I neglected to show the results for only those two sources, and it showed for all of them. In fact, you can make 22 drinks, not 38 (unless you've got a big bartending library!). They are:
Boo Loo
Carioca Hawaiian Cocktail
Derby Daiquiri
Doctor Funk
Hawaiian Eye
Hurricane
Iuka's Grogg
Kapu-Kai
Mai Tai (Hawaiian Style)
Mara-Amu
Navy Grog
Pago Pago
Pieces of Eight
Royal Hawaiian
Rum Tropical
Saturn
Shrunken Skull
South Pacific Punch
Stephen Remsberg's Planter's Punch
Sven-Tiki
Tailless Scorpion
Trader Vic Grog

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2013-05-02 18:17 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-02 8:42 pm   Permalink

Pernod is just absinthe with the wormwood removed.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-09 07:30 am   Permalink

You list the Mai Tai (Hawaiian Style). You should list that as Mai Tai and Mai Tai (Hawaiian Style) as two separate drinks, so add one more drink to the number you can make with your list.

Great work. I've been meaning to do it myself, but never found the time.

Mahalo,
Dr. Coruba
(Who also thinks that you should drop the Myer's for the superior and less expensive Coruba)

View Profile of Dr. Coruba Send a personal message to Dr. Coruba  Email Dr. Coruba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-10 2:36 pm   Permalink

Hey, it may seem like nothing, but try mixing a '34 Zombie with 6 drops of Pernod, then try without and you'll notice the difference. I almost always use absinthe whenever a pastis, like Pernod or Herbsaint, is called for. At BevMo, they have 100ml minis of Absente absinthe for $7.99 (at least, in Arizona they do). Absinthe is so potent in flavor it almost never gets used more than a few drops or dashes at a time, so these tiny little bottles go a long way! I've never seen a mini Pernod but if you can find a mini of absinthe it's a fairly economical solution! I think the old DTCB-style drinks that call for it are well worth including in your repertoire!

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-11 11:00 am   Permalink

I agree - Pernod/Absinthe is an important ingredient. If you are successful in avoiding overuse then the subtleness is a nice little background "connector." I remember that it took me a while to learn how to be very careful with Pernod....

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-11 12:19 pm   Permalink

The smallest bottles of Pernod I've seen (and bought!) is 200ml. Not sure if they have any minis, but there you go. (Pernod, et al. do have their use in cooking, if that helps.)

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-11 3:22 pm   Permalink

I didnt realize Absente is a real absinthe.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-12 04:29 am   Permalink

Just to reiterate, Pernod/Absinthe are not the same thing. Pernod is a brand of Absinthe, also, a type of liqueur. A bottle of Pernod is $30, will last you forever, and is the proper ingredient. If a recipe needs absinthe, it'll call for absinthe. If it needs Pernod, it'll call for Pernod. They're the same, only different.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-12 06:44 am   Permalink

Here's a question I'm dragging over from a separate cocktail/non-Tiki discussion: How long will an open bottle of Pernod keep? What's the best way to store it once opened?

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-12 07:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-12 06:44, jokeiii wrote:
Here's a question I'm dragging over from a separate cocktail/non-Tiki discussion: How long will an open bottle of Pernod keep? What's the best way to store it once opened?

Generally anything with an alcohol content above 30% will keep for a long, long time. Pernod is 40%. Things like vermouth, dubonnet rouge, and lower spirits need to be stored and kept like wine. Stored cool (not refrigerated, just below room temperature, approx 56 degrees or so. I have a refrigerator specifically for this, that I have turned on low, so that it doesn't become too cold.) once opened, always out of direct light, and once opened, it's best to seal them with some type of vacuum system. One that actively removes any oxygen in the bottle to create a seal, not the type that introduces oxygen to create a seal. Some vacuum stoppers just suck out enough air to create a vacuum seal, but do not remove all oxygen from a bottle.

Pernod is 40%, and should keep for a long time if stored properly. Unfortunately, Pernod Anise's recipe is a closely guarded secret, so there's no way to tell sugar content, though it's safe to assume there is so. So, unlike other boozes, it won't keep "indefinitely."

Here's a great article with guidelines on that:
http://cocktails.about.com/od/stockyourbar/f/liquor_storage.htm

And again, to remind everyone, when you see Pernod in a recipe, it calls for Pernod Anise liqueur. Pernod refers to Pernod Anise, just like Ricard refers to Ricard Pastis. Pernod aux extraits d'absinthe is their absinthe, which is considered the "original" absinthe. It comes from the original recipe by a Swiss doctor (like most good herbal liqueurs), and although it was originally distilled in Switzerland (in the first Absinthe distillery), it is most known for being distilled in France.

-Lucky

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-12 10:09 am   Permalink

In anything other than straight spirits, I go with the "Vac-U-Vin" stoppers and a rest in the wine cellar. Not sure what anyone else uses, but there ya go.

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-12 12:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-12 10:09, jokeiii wrote:
In anything other than straight spirits, I go with the "Vac-U-Vin" stoppers and a rest in the wine cellar. Not sure what anyone else uses, but there ya go.

Yup! Better safe than sorry!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation