[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Takeover in San Diego
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki Takeover in San Diego
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-07 1:44 pm   Permalink

Just saw this today, but check out this read on a "Tiki Takeover" at Polite Provisions in Normal Heights:

http://www.sdcitybeat.com/sandiego/article-11750-summertime-drinking-in-san-diego.html?utm_source=cooleremail&utm_medium=email&utm_content=4468&utm_campaign=296827

A TC Meet up event?

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-07 3:23 pm   Permalink

Sounds like it is worth checking out. I might try to make it, but I think I will be out that way on Monday at the Soda Bar.

I like meet ups at Bali Hai the best. They have the best drinks and it is close to my house

Cabs get expensive for me to North Park. I have gone to the Bar Pink Tiki Tuesday many times and it is like $50 each way. Sadly sometimes whether the drinks are good or not depends on the bartender there. Don't get me wrong, I love Bar Pink, but $100 round trip for worse drinks than in my garage doesn't get me motivated.

Anyway, I will PM you if I can find someone to go with me.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-07 8:17 pm   Permalink

Hmm. Can't make it next Tuesday, but may have to try for a future week.
We haven't actually been to most of the places listed in the article, but do enjoy URBN when Phil is working. We've had mixed results with other bartenders there, but he never fails to please (plus, real CT pizza!)

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-07 10:14 pm   Permalink

Sounds like this would be fun. Too bad I dont live closer.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-08 09:06 am   Permalink

Funny - with Wang's and Bar Pink having Tiki Tuesdays as well, tiki is slowly taking over the 30th St corridor.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-09 12:54 pm   Permalink

I stopped by Polite Provisions yesterday and got a "preview" of a few of their Tiki Drinks. Martin Cate (from Smugglers' Cove in SF) will be down there as well. The owner of PP used to work at Bourbon and Branch, a great cocktail bar in SF, and is a tiki drinks fan as well. I'm not sure how often they'll be offering this, hoping it'll be popular so I'll be there to support it (slightly later, after 8 PM).

I let the bartender (whose name I forgot, sorry), make me two drinks of his choosing- he did his spin on a classic Mai Tai, which was great, and a Brooklynite. PP makes their own bitters, sodas, and more. While it's definitely not a "tiki bar" (far from it), the quality of the drinks is outstanding.

I agree, Bali Hai is a great stop (friends do a semi-regular Tiki Tuesday over there), but Tiki Tuesday at Bar Pink only starts at 10 PM (on a Tuesday!), slightly too late for me. Luna, I've had similar experience w/ their drinks, so don't make it a regular stop. Wang's is fun- and has a mug from TF, but I don't see it as "tiki" per se.

Maybe if everyone rounds up some designated drivers?

While San Diego was once a great center for tiki eats and drinks, hopefully it's turning around. I prefer areas other than North Park for easier parking, anyway. (though I'm a big fan of Urban Solace).

[ This Message was edited by: TikiAno 2013-05-09 12:58 ]

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiwi Steve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-09 2:23 pm   Permalink

The Cat Eye Club in the gasslamp district has tiki Wednesdays. I haven't been there yet... Has anyone else been? If so, how is it?

View Profile of Kiwi Steve Send a personal message to Kiwi Steve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-10 09:52 am   Permalink

Correction, Martin Cate won't be there, but Marco Dionysus from Smuggler's Cove will. I think I was confused regarding Martin coming to LA for an event last week (or maybe it was too many drinks....)

TheKiltedFez
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-13 7:48 pm   Permalink

I'm excited for it. Their non-tiki drinks are well made. Plus, I heard there might be mugs.

View Profile of TheKiltedFez Send a personal message to TheKiltedFez      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheKiltedFez
Tiki Centralite

I'm excited for it. Their non-tiki drinks are well made. Plus, I heard there might be mugs.

View Profile of TheKiltedFez Send a personal message to TheKiltedFez      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheKiltedFez
Tiki Centralite

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-13 10:27 pm   Permalink

I didn't hear anything about mugs, but sounds good. Should be a fun night. I assume it will be pretty packed (as it is every day, but hope to meet some TCers there!

TheKiltedFez
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-14 11:33 am   Permalink

I should be there. I should be wearing a green cabana suit. My name is Charlie. Say, "Hi," if you want.

TheKiltedFez
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-14 11:34 am   Permalink

I should be there. I should be wearing a green cabana suit. My name is Charlie. Say, "Hi," if you want.

TheKiltedFez
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-14 1:08 pm   Permalink

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation