FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki 2 different Totems for sale amazing wood grain
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
2 different Totems for sale amazing wood grain
keigs20
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-02 11:42 pm   Permalink

It is good to hear from people who appreciate Bills work. My wife and I are currently looking into exhibiting Bills artwork in Seattle. We would like to do a show that honors his various artistic achievments. We are very proud of him and would like to see him recognized on a larger scale.

View Profile of keigs20 Send a personal message to keigs20  Email keigs20 Goto the website of keigs20     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-03 12:16 am   Permalink

I'd like to get my paws on a piece of your artwork, too. I can only house a small mask in my apartment. I also have to hope that I can bid on something when everybody else is asleep so it doesn't get too expensive (fat chance). You do good work, baby.

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-03 11:13 am   Permalink

Ken-
That larger scale recognition won't happen before the book is out. With it you will have something in your hands that shows the amazing QUANTITY of Bill's work, which is more convincing than single pieces. It will be hard to convey that coherently (that is actually the brunt of my work I am doing right now) before.
Hardly anybody (outside lounge circles) understood the appeal of Tiki until my book surprised them with the amount and variety of creative output that was Tiki inspired. Publishers did not get it by showing them my raw materials, they wanted to see the finished book. The lack of imagination was frustrating.

Another problem is that today's pop culture is so fragmented, split up into many mini cults, it sometimes seems there is no MASS appeal anymore. The best chance for Bill's work is to find appreciation is with A.) the Tiki crowd, and B.) the 50s modern fans, which are often, but not allways the same. His modern abstract paintings from the 50s to the 70s could make a good show when cross-referenced to some of his WITCO stuff, but I am sorry to say, (because I know he is very fond of them), his Marine and Yacht artworks won't find any interest in that group. I will try to have as many of his mod paintings in the book as possible, because they show his talent for abstract modernism which than came to blossom in his WITCO work.

It's been a long time for Bill to get his work recognized, I think it's better to wait a little longer til the book is out and hopefully will get some media attention. Once you are published, suddenly people think "Oh, this guy must have something to him..."

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-03 11:36 am   Permalink

bigbrotiki wrote:
>Hardly anybody (outside lounge circles) understood the appeal of Tiki until my book surprised them with the amount and variety of creative output that was Tiki inspired. Publishers did not get it by showing them my raw materials, they wanted to see the finished book. The lack of imagination was frustrating.
<end quote>

I'm really surprised that Chronicle Books rejected "The Book of Tiki," since they've published "Googie: Fifties Coffee Shop Architecture," "Pad" and so many books on cocktails. (I was an intern there during my last year of college.)

--cindy

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-03 12:07 pm   Permalink

I know, and Jim Heimann and Alan Hess were supportive of it there! Quote rejection letter from Bill LeBlond, OCT'92:
"..I grew up in the sixties and understand what you are trying to do here, but most of the younger members of the staff simply didn't get it."
Fern bar lovers! Get this, the last time it was considered there, according to an insider, they said "oh well, we should have done it years ago, but now Tiki is OVER with" !!!
Still, they did a great book with PAD, and I am looking forward to Alan Hess' revamped GOOGIE.
Jim Heimann is the head of Taschen LA now.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki on 2002-07-03 12:18 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-03 2:41 pm   Permalink

Hey Bigbrotiki, yes, the place is still"planet paintball". It was sad to see all of the tikis gone, even the BIG GUY. The gentleman that gave us the tour said that the new owner was going to clean it all up and re-open it. They had to stop the clean-up because the city made them . Permits you know. I was in awe of the creative mind that dreamt this all up. If it wasn't for the 95degree heat, and my poor wife trying to endure the sun, I would have stayed another hour easily. I took all kinds of pictures and will include them in my "gallery" when my website is up later this month.I almost forgot to mention it , but the guy said that they had rented out the place for a wedding the weekend before. Possibly this could be done for a Tiki Central Luau? Fair warning though, the place has a gloomy vibe to it. Broken dreams, broken marriage, and a million dollar unpaid tab to the concrete contractor.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-03 3:02 pm   Permalink

Just in case anyone was thinking it, no I don't have MISS CLEO (sp?) on speed dial.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-03 6:02 pm   Permalink

bigbrotiki wrote re rejection of "The Book of Tiki" by Chronicle Books:
>I know, and Jim Heimann and Alan Hess were supportive of it there! Quote rejection letter from Bill LeBlond, OCT'92:
"..I grew up in the sixties and understand what you are trying to do here, but most of the younger members of the staff simply didn't get it."
Fern bar lovers! Get this, the last time it was considered, according to an insider, they said "oh well, we should have done it years ago, but now Tiki is OVER with" !!!
<end quote>

It's their loss. And I thought Bill was such a nice guy!

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation