FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars New Tiki Bar Sydney Australia Build.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
New Tiki Bar Sydney Australia Build.
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-29 04:42 am   Permalink

Gday tikispeer - hats off to you for your superb investigative work on the staining/burning combinations. Do you have shares in a paint shop to buy all those bottles of stain and varnish?? Although i also love to experiment, i usually just try and make the best with what i've got in the shed as each new tub of stain or varnish gets more expensive each time...
anyway, there is quite a lot of good info on this topic deep in the buried threads of TC, just have to keep searching. I'll be keen to see your results though, especially with the locally sourced materials.

there are quite a few bamboo suppliers here in Qld if you are after comparisons, though the one you have found is well established.

i've never seen one of those rattan fishtanks in Aus before - shame you missed it.

looking forward to your next post of results...

cheers

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skygroove

Posted: 2013-06-03 10:30 pm   Permalink

All these pictures make me want to relax with a Mai Tai or a Zombie. Nice job.

View Profile of skygroove Send a personal message to skygroove      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSpeer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-10 02:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-29 04:42, harro wrote:
Gday tikispeer - hats off to you for your superb investigative work on the staining/burning combinations. Do you have shares in a paint shop to buy all those bottles of stain and varnish?? Although i also love to experiment, i usually just try and make the best with what i've got in the shed as each new tub of stain or varnish gets more expensive each time...
anyway, there is quite a lot of good info on this topic deep in the buried threads of TC, just have to keep searching. I'll be keen to see your results though, especially with the locally sourced materials.

there are quite a few bamboo suppliers here in Qld if you are after comparisons, though the one you have found is well established.

i've never seen one of those rattan fishtanks in Aus before - shame you missed it.

looking forward to your next post of results...

cheers

Hi

As it turns out I had zero stains at home, samples were cheap, I've checked out a lot on the threads but thought I'd add my .02c with Sydney Australia info.
Anyway on with the show.

View Profile of TikiSpeer Send a personal message to TikiSpeer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSpeer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-10 02:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-03 22:30, skygroove wrote:
All these pictures make me want to relax with a Mai Tai or a Zombie. Nice job.

Thank you .

View Profile of TikiSpeer Send a personal message to TikiSpeer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSpeer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-10 02:16 am   Permalink

Pushing out the room

Using flooring sheets to line the wall, they lock together and there solid.

TikiSpeer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-10 02:28 am   Permalink

2.4 meter poles from caveman bamboo $15.00, Look good - just have to cut them and if OK I'll get more.

Also from Caveman
Rolls of 25mm bamboo. 2.2 meter high 2.4 meters wide.
Pre drilled for wire that holds them together. Drilled 20mm and 65 mm form each end and in the centre 1.1m.
Going to cut them in half and line 4 to 4.8 meters 90cm high of the lower part of the wall (wainscot ) for $110.00

TikiSpeer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-10 02:56 am   Permalink

Ended up getting 100x75mm North American oregon - about 7.50 a meter

Cut in half with saw 100x36mm

Run though the thickness planer now 92x30mm

Ended up machining my own timber so I could use old dry clean oregon.
Lots of oregon beams for sale on gumtree. The ryobi planer was $445.00 but now I have control over the size and quality.

+ I have some old oregon planks to cut up.

TikiSpeer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-10 03:11 am   Permalink

Work starts on the door / wall

New door frame

92x30 mm oregon timber with final design. Still needs staining.

New Faux Bamboo lamp at the entrance to the future bar.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiSpeer 2013-06-10 03:13 ]

Thurston Howell IV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-10 3:03 pm   Permalink

A feel a tiki bar coming on. Good work and good prices on that bamboo. I've bought stuff from Jungle Fever near Noosa but for a lot more than you paid.

View Profile of Thurston Howell IV Send a personal message to Thurston Howell IV  Email Thurston Howell IV     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-10 5:19 pm   Permalink

Love what you have done and the bamboo you chose. The door frame looks great.

Cool faux bamboo lamp.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSpeer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-15 3:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-10 15:03, Thurston Howell IV wrote:
A feel a tiki bar coming on. Good work and good prices on that bamboo. I've bought stuff from Jungle Fever near Noosa but for a lot more than you paid.

Aloha Mr Thurston Howell the IVth

Problem in Sydney is just getting good Bamboo from what I've found. North NSW or QLD looks to have more options.
There is a guy just north of Sydney the has a big crop of Bamboo and will sell fresh cut - Via Gumtree / ebay.
But the guys a Caveman have what I need. I just have to get the Bamboo woven ply from Bamboo Oz in Qld.

If only I could get some Bac Bac Matting. But Importing Banana leave products in to Australia is probably a pain.

TikiSpeer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-15 3:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-10 17:19, littlegiles wrote:
Love what you have done and the bamboo you chose. The door frame looks great.

Cool faux bamboo lamp.

- Dale

Thanks Dale.

TikiSpeer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-15 3:36 pm   Permalink

To get a more 3D look to the wall I'm setting the timber 60mm out from the batons, this way I can recess the Bamboo lining and upper panels.
This skirting board ( lower grade NZ? stuff (rubbish(big growth rings )) is 60mm x 160mm 2 bits of oregon laminated together. Still to be stained

I've used 2 bits of timber for the door architrave 30 x 92 mm each.

I'm using 19mm batons to keep off the brickwork and also I'll be able to run cables behind the bamboo.

Just picked this up from ebay.

TikiSpeer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-09 03:36 am   Permalink

A few new pix.

80-100mm Bamboo run into quarters

JUst checking the pre drilled bamboo, ended up redoing the skirting board.

The 2x30mm(60mm) deep vertical timber will support the 35x125 top shelf.

Oregon timber.

LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-09 1:25 pm   Permalink

I'm most jealous of your router skills. Outstanding! Can't wait to see how your space develops but it looks good so far.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation