FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Tiki Oasis 2013: Wiki Wiki VanTiki 5k
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tiki Oasis 2013: Wiki Wiki VanTiki 5k
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-13 2:03 pm   Permalink

Aloha Folks!

With great excitement I am happy to announce the 1st annual Wiki Wiki VanTiki 5k at Tiki Oasis 2013!

Whether you are looking to burn off some extra rum calories, stretch your legs before a day of Tiki Oasis exploration and adventure, or simply beat your hangover senseless with 5 kilometers of quick footwork, there is no better way to start your Sunday at the Crowne Plaza.

The specifics of the run will solidify over the next month or so - and I will update this thread as I figure out the details. Here is the current plan:

What is the Wikki Wikki VanTiki 5k?
An informal self-supported (this means you need to bring your own water) 5k run. Wiki Wiki is Hawaiian for fast - but this event is open for runners of all levels looking to shake a leg during Tiki Oasis weekend.

When is it?
Sunday, August 18th at 6:30 am. We need to kick the run off early to beat the heat and to allow vendors and attendees time to get back to their rooms, shower, eat, and get ready for the day ahead.

How far is 5k?
5 kilometers is 3.1 miles.

Where will we be running?
There is a nice bike path that runs near the Crowne Plaza and down to the ocean. We will do an out-and-back run on the bike path starting in front of the Crowne Plaza Hotel. See the above map for a layout of the course.

What do I need?
This is an UNSUPPORTED event - it is just little old me (and Ms. VanTiki), so don’t plan on aid stations or coolers of Gatorade and bananas at the finish. Heck, don’t even expect a finish line tape! If you want to run with us, be sure to do the following:

1 - Train for this event. If you have never run before, and would like to join, no worries! I recommend the couch to 5K programs. You have plenty of time to get your body ready.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

2 - bring water (if you need it). If you are a beginning runner, you should bring a bit of water with you. As a rule of thumb, if you think your are going to be running longer than 45min, you should bring some water with you.

What do I get?
In addition to the warm glow of accomplishment you will be emanating at the finish line, I plan on pressing a handful of ceramic *finishers pendants* marked with Tiki Oasis 2013 (I have Otto’s blessing - mahalo Otto!). Now - this is a free fun run, so I’m only doing a handful. I’m not sure how many folks plan on getting up at 6:30 on sunday. If there are more people than pendants, we will have a raffle at the finish line, and perhaps award pendants for best dressed and other categories.

Wanna run it?
Great! Please, please, please sign up below. I’ll keep a running tally of entrants (similar to the room crawl thread). Have ideas or suggestions? Please post those too!

Mahalo!
Henrik “VanTiki”

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2013-05-13 14:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2013-05-14 12:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2013-05-14 18:28 ]

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2013-05-14 18:31 ]

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2013-05-14 18:48 ]

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2013-05-14 18:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2013-06-01 13:07 ]

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-13 2:07 pm   Permalink

Wiki Wiki VanTiki Officially registered runners:

1 - Cindiluhui
2 - lunavideogames
3 - retro-friki-tiki
4 - Pineappleman11
5 - NuttyBoltz
6 - Mikala137
7 - Eric Musick
8 - Robyn Musick
9 - Edan Musick
10 - Willa Musick
11 - TheKiltedFez
12 - Ms. TheKiltedFez

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2013-06-02 11:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2013-07-31 13:19 ]

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2013-08-09 11:14 ]

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-13 2:18 pm   Permalink

The bike path to Ocean Beach is an ok run. It might be the best because we wouldn't have to drive anywhere. It is flat most of the way and well paved. It is not too scenic being along side the highway and along the SD river. But it does have mile markers which are key. Homeless folks usually congregate along the path and underneath the bridges. I have run quite a few times without any incidents, usually they do not bother you except your nose. One time I stepped on a crushed can someone dropped and sprained my ankle, since then I usually run from Mission to Pacific Beach.

I don't know exactly where you get on the trail from the hotel, but I could find out for you. My friend works at Crown Plaza and he bikes to work everyday, so he will know the best route to take. I will ask him and let you know.

But all in all it should make for a great run. I hope to join but I am not staying at the hotel since I live close. Please let me know if you would like more information about this path or anything else. I am happy to help.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-13 2:27 pm   Permalink

Mahalo lunavideogames for the intel - I just sent you a PM!

Henrik

HB TIKI
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-05-13 2:34 pm   Permalink

Very nice Idea Henrik, that should be a fun activity. Hopefully you will have a Senior division.

View Profile of HB TIKI Send a personal message to HB TIKI  Email HB TIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Derek Mitchell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-13 2:37 pm   Permalink

How about biking it? I have a bum knee and can't jog, very good anyways. If there's enough interest maybe a couple of us could bike to the turn around point and hand out water. Then cruise back when the last runner leaves.

View Profile of Derek Mitchell Send a personal message to Derek Mitchell  Email Derek Mitchell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-13 2:41 pm   Permalink

I've got a an Electra Cruiser that's been Hawaiian-ized. I'd be WAY into doing a bike run with water for the runners.

Who else wants to ROLL?

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-ESP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-13 2:50 pm   Permalink

The bike trail is easy to get to from the Hotel. I've ran it before. Just have to go through the adjacent motels to get to it.

PS thanks for doing this!

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-ESP 2013-05-13 14:50 ]

View Profile of Tiki-ESP Send a personal message to Tiki-ESP      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiwi Steve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-13 2:55 pm   Permalink

I have a bum knee also... I may be interested in the bike aspect also (depending on my honeydo list)...

View Profile of Kiwi Steve Send a personal message to Kiwi Steve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cindiluhui
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-13 4:23 pm   Permalink

I think I will go for it. Even though I have done a few 10ks and a half marathon, I have never run more than one mile without walking. I think this would be a great fitness goal for myself, to be able to run the whole thing. And I could burn off all the booze from the night before.

View Profile of Cindiluhui Send a personal message to Cindiluhui      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-14 4:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-13 14:50, Tiki-ESP wrote:
The bike trail is easy to get to from the Hotel. I've ran it before. Just have to go through the adjacent motels to get to it.

PS thanks for doing this!

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-ESP 2013-05-13 14:50 ]

Mahalo for the intel ESP! - should I add you to the runner list?

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-14 4:15 pm   Permalink

Very Important! be sure to hydrate yourselves, especially if you plan to drink the
night before! Van do you have a contingency plan for any problems that may arise during the run?

Your a crazy bunch, have fun.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-14 6:43 pm   Permalink

Hey "Van" only you could organize such an event

I am sure whatever medal design you come up with will inspire others to run, "Van"

Looking forward to what design you come up with , I am sure it will fit whatever "crazy bunch" joins ya

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-14 6:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-14 16:15, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Very Important! be sure to hydrate yourselves, especially if you plan to drink the
night before! Van do you have a contingency plan for any problems that may arise during the run?

Hydration is important! As far as contingency plans - as I noted at the top of the tread this run is UNSUPPORTED. If you have not trained for a 5K, PLEASE do not decide to go for it that morning! Ms. VanTiki will be on her bike with water, basic first aid, and a cell phone. That is it as far as support - it is up to you to make it back to the hotel on your own.

Mahalo,
Henrik "VanTiki"

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-14 8:02 pm   Permalink

I guess Liz wants me to use "Henrik" instead of the shortened "Van" for VanTiki
so have a great time everyone & be safe.

Are you running....Liz? no?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation