FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Oasis 2013: Wiki Wiki VanTiki 5k
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tiki Oasis 2013: Wiki Wiki VanTiki 5k
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-01 12:06 pm   Permalink

Way to go Cindiluhiu! That is awesome! Can't wait to run with you at Oasis!

Cammo - You are more than welcome to ride along (as I mentioned earlier). I'm just keeping the focus on running.

Yikes! It is July?! I seriously gotta sculpt a finisher's pendant this week! See you all at Oasis!

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-02 5:16 pm   Permalink

Cammo - You are more than welcome to ride along.

Right neighborly of ya!

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-07-02 5:26 pm   Permalink

Hey Cammo, if you start training now, you should be in good enough shape to run the course by then.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-05 11:16 am   Permalink

"Hey Cammo, if you start training now, you should be in good enough shape to run the course by then."

Yeah, IF.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-05 11:20 am   Permalink

Here's the water.

Here's my bike.

Here's the prize for the "winner"!

'Nuff said.

Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-06 12:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-27 10:09, Cammo wrote:
[i]apologies to those who expressed interest in riding the course instead of running, I'd like to keep this a running only event.

My bike is cool and everybody's going to say "Hey! You have a cool bike!"

I may give out pendants that look better than YOUR pendants to just the bike riders. If I'm the only bike rider then I get them all!!!!!

Hmm, this is pretty tempting Cammo now that you added the free water and possibility of a pendant!! LOL.
Doe does have the coolest mass-produced (I think there were 300) Tiki bike ever made

[note: that is a promo shot of the bike with Von Franco and a model, that is NOT Doe and me with her bike]

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-06 06:57 am   Permalink

Just for the record Otto, Doe is better looking than that model anyway

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-06 4:37 pm   Permalink

Otto - don't forget the winning prize!!!
A WHOLE FRESH ICE COLD BOTTLE of your FAVORITE LIQUID!!!!!

VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-07 6:52 pm   Permalink

Cammo that is, indeed, a sweet bike!

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 1:41 pm   Permalink

Finisher's medal update!

I've been chewing my nails to the bone trying to figure out how to make a stack of spiffy medals for those brave souls who will be joining me for the Inaugural Wiki Wiki VanTiki 5k. With a mere 39 days left till Oasis weekend, things were looking bleak. A few days ago I had an epiphany (while running, naturally), and I believe that I figured out a way to make porcelain medals for everyone! I'll be sure to post photos as they develop. Due to time (and $$) constraints, they will not be relief sculptures - but they will be neat ceramic keepsakes to remind you of your weekend efforts!

Here I am logging training miles this weekend during one of the best sunrises I've ever seen on Oahu

I hope you are all enjoying your training, and are staying injury free. See you at Tiki Oasis!

Henrik "VanTiki"

VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-16 12:10 pm   Permalink

Some run for glory, some run for fitness, but most (secretly) run for the cool medals. With that in mind, I wanted to put something together special for the folks who brave the sunrise (and possible hangover) with me on Sunday morning. I had a few unique criteria to deal with - mainly the fact that there is next to no $$ for medals, as well as next to to time to make them. With only a month to Oasis, I had to give up on my original idea of pressing a unique pendant. It would just take too long to sculpt, mold, dry, press, dry, and fire (whew!). On top of that, it would be a major time investment for me. What to do? Well, it just so happens that I was researching printable decals for clay while designing Tiki Jugs for oasis

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=18911&forum=18&start=885

And I realized the technique would be PERFECT for finisher's medals! Now, you are thinking "I don't want a medal with a plastic decal on it!" - don't worry, neither do I! These are special ceramic decals that you print with a standard laser printer and fire in the kiln. While cooking in the kiln, the toner vaporizes, and the iron oxide in the toner stains the clay brown - exactly like a classic oxide ceramic stain, but far more precise. At least, that is what is supposed to happen.

Over the weekend, I designed the medals and had a few sheets of the special decal film printed (it is the exact same "water slide" decal paper that plastic model kit decals use). I had intended to use porcelain for the medal blanks - but the bag of porcelain in my studio tuned out to be unusable. With time running out, I grabbed a bag of white sculpture clay and set to work making blanks:

Once they had dried out completely, I carefully cut out each decal, soaked it in warm water, and slid them onto the blanks:

This morning I loaded them up in the kiln, and they are cooking as I type!

Will they tun out OK? Who knows. I've never done this before, and I am worried that the rough sculpture clay may not yield results as nice as porcelain would have. We will know more in 24 hours

See you at Tiki Oasis!
Henrik "VanTiki"

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2013-07-16 12:25 ]

lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-16 12:21 pm   Permalink

Sunday, not Saturday. Correct?

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-16 12:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-16 12:21, lunavideogames wrote:
Sunday, not Saturday. Correct?

Oops! Good catch. I'm still loopy from loading the kiln

Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-16 7:48 pm   Permalink

"possible hangover"

That's the understatement of the decade!
But, better make more medals just to make sure...

VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-17 12:11 pm   Permalink

The medals look AWESOME!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation