FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ General Tiki Ľ Ľ the U.S. Navy in WWII and Tiki culture
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
the U.S. Navy in WWII and Tiki culture
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-15 7:40 pm   Permalink

this is the piece of shrapnel that almost prevented my entire family from happening.

my grandfather is the only living plank-holder on the most decorated ship in US naval history....the USS Nicholas... and this piece of shrapnel lodged itself into the wall about a foot from my grandfather's head during an attack by the Japanese.

he's also a pearl harbor survivor, and quite frankly, he's my hero.

cool thread...

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-16 04:17 am   Permalink

That ship took my grandfather to Guadalcanal.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-16 09:39 am   Permalink

what a small world!

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-16 10:26 am   Permalink

There is a TC thread on tiki nose art.

www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=14792&forum=1

Here is some more nose art.

B-24

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-16 10:51 am   Permalink

especially love the pics with the captured Japanese flags, prob why I keep buying them even though Ive got over a dozen!!

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-16 10:54 am   Permalink

thanks for the heads up on the tiki nose art, too cool!!!!!

Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-17 09:36 am   Permalink

Haole Jim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-02 09:17 am   Permalink

What immortal days, men and women. Eternal thanks and honour to those who served in WW II.

Thank you for all the images and thoughts.

View Profile of Haole Jim Send a personal message to Haole Jim      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Dog
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-16 7:23 pm   Permalink

Just came across this thread. Love it.

Today is Father's Day and I will post a few pictures of my father who served on a destroyer towards the end of WW II.

Here he is (far right) at an officer's club probably in Pearl Harbor. Disappointed that I don't see any tropical drinks. Either my dad and his friends liked to guzzle beer or they had a lousy wait staff.

While his War experience did not make him "tiki" it did have a profound effect on the course of his life. He really enjoyed the beach which made him move to the California coast in the early 1950's.

Here is a picture of him (far left) with a few sailor buddys on an island somewhere in the South Pacific.

Hey! What did you expect? He was from Dodge City Kansas. I doubt if he owned bathing trunks.

With my mom a few years before I was born.
Nice tropical shirt!!! Still beer and not a tiki drink.

View Profile of Rum Dog Send a personal message to Rum Dog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-18 10:07 pm   Permalink

very very cool, thanks for sharing

tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-19 08:33 am   Permalink

This TC thread from 2007 has more military pictures.

www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=26665&forum=1

I can't find a clip of it online, but Ray Harryhausen made a 10 minute film called 'Guadalcanal' during WWII. He worked with Frank Capra and Dr. Seuss, Major Ted Geisel, making propaganda and instructional films during the war. It's fun to see a bamboo hut being made in stop motion animation. The short film is a special feature on the Harryhausen Chronicles.

On rubylane.com there is a sun helmet that was used in Guadalcanal on sale for $447. www.rubylane.com/item/160319-3559/US-NAVY-Guadalcanal-WW11-Fibre

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-20 03:36 am   Permalink

I like how people are posting personal photos of WWII so here are mine. My mom passed recently and I was fortunately able to scan some of her photos for a slide presentation. I knew she had some cool WWII stuff so I made sure I scanned them. First a little background; my mom was 17 when Pearl Harbor was attacked. She, like a lot of young civilians skipped her senior year to help in the war efforts. She and her sisters were beautiful hapa haoles (half breeds-Dorothy Lamour like) or lighter brown skinned natives with some Caucasian features. The island girl that most GIís imagined but was actually not that common though out the Pacific. One Aunty Leialoha, the taller one in some of these photos, did marry a Naval man, uncle Bob an officer and a marine engineer. He was one of those guys sun bathing on a deck while the A bomb went off nearby at Bikini. He luckily survived without any after effects. My momís the dark Italian looking one.

Note they were good girls visiting the Chaplain's office

Next stop Bablu's : WWII - the New Guinea Campaign and images from the island
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=35520&forum=1&start=30

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-07 2:43 pm   Permalink

These are some interesting photos available on etsy(not mine).

www.etsy.com/listing/154029411/guadalcanal-south-pacific-island-war?ref=sr_gallery_4&ga_search_query=guadalcanal&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all
Apia Harbor, Samoa.

www.etsy.com/listing/153961726/guadalcanal-south-pacific-islands-photos?ref=sr_gallery_10&ga_search_query=guadalcanal&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all

tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-07 3:08 pm   Permalink

More images available on etsy.com
Postcard.

The Waikiki Theater which was sadly torn down.

creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-07 11:45 pm   Permalink

That above post card reminded me of a Popeye screen capture I recently posted titled "Alona of the Sarong Seas". Ironically about the same time period 1942.

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation