FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki the U.S. Navy in WWII and Tiki culture
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
the U.S. Navy in WWII and Tiki culture
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-12 09:52 am   Permalink

My cocoanuts!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-12 11:39 am   Permalink

May Wynn singing in a tiki bar during WW2 in the movie "The caine mutiny"

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-09-12 12:16 pm   Permalink

Cool thread - I love putting the tiki cocktails in context with other events!

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-12 12:55 pm   Permalink

Nice clip, Lucas.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-12 1:01 pm   Permalink

I wish someone could identify the bar! (perhaps just a hollywood set?) the movie shows it very well, including tikis.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-12 8:50 pm   Permalink

I would have to see the whole scene, but at that point in time, at the budget level of that film, it was most likely a set. It was a cinch for Hollywood set designers to put a Polynesian restaurant set together, since the whole construct concept of a Tiki bar was basically that of a movie set.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-13 07:02 am   Permalink

It's possible....but if you watch the movie, its a pretty big set! The room she sings in is actually huge! Good movie to rent, either way!

TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-13 08:26 am   Permalink

Definitely, the Caine Mutiny is a true classic and one of my all time favorites.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-13 08:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-13 08:26, TropicDrinkBoy wrote:
Definitely, the Caine Mutiny is a true classic and one of my all time favorites.

I first read the book while stationed in Pearl harbor. It was strange reading about Ensign Keith's first nights on the caine (sleeping with a huge pipe two inches from his face in his rack-same as I had!) and sharing a very similar experience.

Here is a thread I posted a while ago that might have some relation to this thread's subject:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=22663&forum=6&hilite=shit street

Another great WW2 movie that features a pseudo tiki bar is Jack lemmon's "The wackiest ship in the army"

Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-12 12:03 pm   Permalink

so I have this really nice grouping from a sailor who was in Hawaii during the war, along with his photos, are some really neat 1940s era maps, x-mas cards, cocktail napkins, and personal effects from Hawaii including a really neat silk scarf which gives the definition of Aloha which was his also, I believe he sent it home to his mother. I just found a really cool wood and glass display case some one was throwing away, which I recued, cleaned up, painted and added all his Hawaiian stuff...... I think it came out pretty nice!

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-12 1:14 pm   Permalink

Very cool "one of a kind" display case Pele Paul. What a time capsule! Thanks for sharing it.

[ This Message was edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2013-10-12 13:14 ]

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-12 2:03 pm   Permalink

Fark!

What a find!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-12 2:23 pm   Permalink

Great collection of memorabilia. The color of the frame is distracting from it though.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-12 6:11 pm   Permalink

Great stuff, Paul.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-13 04:02 am   Permalink

Great job Pele. So many times I have seen these groups of items seperated and sold off. Thanks for saving them and putting the group on display. A true snapshot of a mans life and an important part of our history. Thanks again.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation