FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts I made a mug....well with VanTiki's help
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
I made a mug....well with VanTiki's help
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-14 8:53 pm   Permalink

On my most recent birthday I got to cross two "firsts" off my list...I finally visited Oahu and I got to make a "tiki" mug...with my good friend VanTiki.

I couldn't of asked for a better way to spend my birthday then spending time with VanTiki and his wife and the icing on the trip was getting to create any type of mug I wanted with a master mug maker.

Van let me choose whatever I wanted to as the mug design (this was more intimidating than one may think when you are in his studio btw!) and after some debating we decided on skulls with pompadours so we could use them at Tiki Oasis this year for the Hulabilly theme (don't steal our idea people!)

Sure skulls aren't "tiki" but considering I plan to drink rum out of it once its finished that works for me!

Here are a few views of the mugs we made prior to glazing--which Van is going to take care of and surprise me with the finished piece when I see him in August .

I thought I would share the before glaze photos and i hope to add the completed pics once Oasis is over.

I didn't take as many photos as Wendy does when she makes her clay masterpieces but you can get the idea :

Van's is on the left and mine is on the right

He cleaned mine up a bit and made the curl tighter so it didn't have so much space inside it

Henrik is an amazing teacher and making a mug with him was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Thanks again Henrik for making my birthday such a memorable one and thank you again for being so willing to share your mug making skills with me.

I am so glad we are friends! It seriously was the best birthday I ever had

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-14 8:58 pm   Permalink

Wow!!! That is super cool. I will be looking for that mug at Oasis.

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-14 9:01 pm   Permalink

I think you should keep going. You did a great job. I can't tell which was his and which was yours. They both look great. I'm happy your birthday was so special. Hugs, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-14 9:12 pm   Permalink

That is wicked cool Liz!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-14 11:03 pm   Permalink

Happy Birthday! Now that is hilarious, love it can't wait to see how they glaze. You sure that is your first one? That is pretty dang good for a first try! Side note: now I understand where Egon's hair on the Real Ghostbusters cartoon came from...didn't know that was what a pompadour was.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-15 04:59 am   Permalink

Hahahaha. I was going to say the same thing. Egon for the win.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-15 05:00 am   Permalink

And the mugs do look awesome. Will the straw/liquid go in the curl?!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-15 08:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-15 05:00, Hale Tiki wrote:
And the mugs do look awesome. Will the straw/liquid go in the curl?!

Thank you for the kind words y'all

Hale Tiki I should of mentioned that this was the first day. On the second once they hardened we--ok Henrik--sliced off a section across the back of the sculpt so we will be drinking out of the back of the head.

The curl on mine got refined somewhat so it looked less open -- how funny that they match the Ghostbusters cartoon!

Henrik plans on glazing the hair glossy black, the skulls (which we added cracks too) will be bone and they are sitting on bands that will be red kind of like Elvis's scarf.

It was pretty amazing to watch it all come together over a short period of time. I have never made a mug before but his process obviously produced some really great results. I can't wait to see the finished product.

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-05-15 10:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-15 08:54, SandraDee wrote:
Hale Tiki I should of mentioned that this was the first day.

SHOULD 'VE or SHOULD HAVE---not "should of"
----the Spelling Police

Fun stuff. GROG want to do clay jam with Vantiki, too!

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Holler Waller
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-15 10:40 am   Permalink

A Tiki T.C.B.

(Elvis used to wear a TCB neckless-Taking Care of Business)

View Profile of Holler Waller Send a personal message to Holler Waller      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-15 10:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-15 10:25, GROG wrote:
Quote:

----the Spelling Police

Should HAVE, could HAVE and Did You know for a caveman you are really good with grammar!

If you can't make it to Oahu I know Henrik comes to California a few times a year for races (marathons) so you should talk to him at Oasis and set a jam up for the future. I would love to see what you came up with.

Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-15 2:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-15 10:44, SandraDee wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-05-15 10:25, GROG wrote:
Quote:

----the Spelling Police

You know for a caveman you are really good with grammar!

You get good really fast when you have to carve into a stone tablet

------

That's awesome, great mug and sounds like it was a great time. hmmm, hulla-billy.... gotta remember that

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-16 03:59 am   Permalink

I hope you'll be taking more photos and posting updates!

Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-16 12:04 pm   Permalink

Look at you go, Ms Dee!

Don't let Oasis go by without me seeing what you've done.

Bowie

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-17 07:49 am   Permalink

Thanks again for all the postive feedback!

Unfortunately since the mug is still in Oahu at Henrik's shop (since he will be finishing it) I don't have any other photos now BUT after Oasis I will post the complete pictures just for posterity sake

Bowana my friend I cannot wait to see you at Oasis (if not before) xoxox

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation