FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » the ideal Mai Tai formula?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
the ideal Mai Tai formula?
tikifetish

Posted: 2003-07-06 6:02 pm   Permalink

Hello to All,
I was in Newport Beach a couple of weeks ago for a wedding where I asked the bartender for a Singapore Sling. His response, "what is that?". I walked away thoroughly disgusted.
This sad event led me to start thinking about some of my favorite drinks and how there are many different recipes out there for mai tai's. Which seems to be the most popular formula here in the forum?
thanks
and bottoms up!

View Profile of tikifetish Send a personal message to tikifetish      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-06 8:00 pm   Permalink

Where did you go in Newport? There aren't a whole lotta places here that would know how to make a Sling.

Here's the tried and true formula for a Mai Tai as served at Trader Vics.

1 1/2oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
1/2oz. curacao
1/4oz. orgeat syrup
1/4oz. rock candy syrup
1oz. Jamaican rum (I use Myers)
1oz. Martinique rum (I use Mt. Gay)

Mix together in a glass with crushed ice and the spent lime shell. If you want to go the distance, garnish with a fresh mint sprig.

A couple of these will light you up. Enjoy!

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CruzinTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-06 9:08 pm   Permalink

Here is Franklin Eck's recipe ... mmmm:

1 ounce orange curacao
1/2 ounce orange orgeat syrup
2 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice, 1/4 spent lime reserved
2 ounces dark rum
1 ounce golden rum
Dash of Angostura Bitters

Fill your favorite mug with ice and add liquid ingredients. Cover with a cocktail shaker and shake to blend. Garnish with a sprig of mint, a maraschino cherry, a wedge of pineapple and the reserved 1/4 lime.

View Profile of CruzinTiki Send a personal message to CruzinTiki  Email CruzinTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-06 9:28 pm   Permalink

I'd go for Victor Bergeron's recipe. Anything else could not correctly be called a Mai Tai. And you'll never call me a "real dirty stinker"

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-06 10:17 pm   Permalink

Yep, Trader Vic's is the way to go, I'm still recovering from my Mai Tai fest on the 4th. Although I have the recipe as being 3/4 ounce of Orange Curacao... Anyway, as long as you have your Orget, you won't go wrong!
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-06 10:49 pm   Permalink

People, we all know that Trader Vic invented the mai tai, right?

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-07 12:29 am   Permalink

This topic comes up a lot and I think I've made my opinion known more times than I care to think about...

LuckyD, thanks for beating me to the punch and putting forth the ONLY true Mai Tai recipe, but be careful with that lime juice - 1 1/2 oz is a lot!! Just stick with 'the juice of 1 lime' and you should be fine.

Oh, and I use Mt. Gay Barbados Sugar Cane for my "every day" Mai Tais, but for special occasions, St. James Hors d'Age is the only way to go...

And what is 'orange orgeat'?
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-07 01:16 am   Permalink

Yeah, that 'juice of one lime' usually works out to about 1 1/2oz of juice if you really wring out a big lime. Plus, sometimes if you end up with limes that are less than juicy you can fall short and throw the balance off. Don't get me wrong, if there is one guy that really knows how to cook up a mai tai, it's the Doc.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-08 12:58 pm   Permalink

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/ccD/d72.html

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KahunaMilu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-09 11:17 pm   Permalink

I can never find the Orgeat, so I try to make my own. I know that I use more syrup than I should, but everyone seems to like them better that way. Of course, as the night goes on, my measurements can start to vary widely, so...no two are alike! }:)

View Profile of KahunaMilu Send a personal message to KahunaMilu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-14 9:08 pm   Permalink

Hi,

The following recipe depends on if you can find the ingredients. But I guarantee you, that it will produce the best Mai Tai you have ever tasted.
Kaniche Martinique rum is so good, my friends and I are thinking of burying 4 bottles in a time capsule for the day you can't get it anymore. (It's what I should have done back when I could still get Sazarac Falernum.) If you find Kaniche Martinique rum in your liquor store, buy it -- whatever the cost.

Behold...

1 1/2oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
1/2oz. Bols Orange Curacao
1/2oz. Trader Vic's orgeat syrup
1/4oz. sugar syrup (made with Turbinado sugar)
1/2oz. Myers
1/2oz. Whalers
1 oz. Kaniche Martinique Rum

Shake with ice and add to a glass containing crushed ice, fresh pineapple, cherry and mint.

[ This Message was edited by: I, Zombie on 2003-07-14 21:10 ]

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-14 9:17 pm   Permalink

I'm with you on everything but that Whaler's swill. Awful, cheap rum.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-14 9:24 pm   Permalink

I wouldn't call it swill. I think the Whaler's Rare Reserve Dark is a good, slightly sweet rum -- though I cannot speak for their flavored rums which simply scare me.

I'm curious, has anyone sponsored a Mai Tai making contest at any of the tiki events held around the country? Big names in the tiki world could be judges. I think it could be a great event!

[ This Message was edited by: I, Zombie on 2003-07-14 21:32 ]

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-15 09:53 am   Permalink

I'm not sure the brands matter much on anything but the Rum. Aren't orgeats and curacaos pretty much all the same? I favor St. James Martinique rum (always more than the recipe calls for) and either Lemon Hart Demerara (I know it's unorthodox, but good) or Cruzan Light. Or napthol, after a few rounds. As for decor, mint & lime work for Trader Vic, so that's enuff for me.

View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-07-15 12:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-07-14 21:17, Basement Kahuna wrote:
I'm with you on everything but that Whaler's swill. Awful, cheap rum.

I have to agree with Basement Kahuna on this one. Whaler's is made in a factory in California, is artificially flavored and colored, and tastes awful. Myers' is also caramel colored but is at least from Jamaica and tasty.

I wouldn't use either Myers' or Whaler's in a Mai Tai. I prefer my Mai Tai with aged gold rum. A combination of Martinique and Jamaican is best and true to Trader Vic's original recipe. Whaler's or Myers' would dominate the flavor too much in my opinion.

Kava King wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure the brands matter much on anything but the Rum. Aren't orgeats and curacaos pretty much all the same?

Not according to Trader Vic (and I would tend to agree). His original recipe called for specific brands of curacao and orgeat (which are now unavailable). It would be interesting (but expensive) to do a taste test of various curacaos (Bols, Hiram Walker, Marie Brizard, etc.) and orgeats and see which taste best.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation