FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food the ideal Mai Tai formula?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
the ideal Mai Tai formula?
traderjim6781
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-21 07:56 am   Permalink

Has anybody tried muddling lime wedges (and lemon if you like)with granulated sugar and straining the syrup in the mix rather than using Rock Candy Syrup and squeezing lime juice? I've found it to be a pretty good substitute, especially if you don't have the syrup on hand.

View Profile of traderjim6781 Send a personal message to traderjim6781      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-06-23 08:13 am   Permalink

I don't know where I got this recipe from but I've named it "The Sufferin' Mai-Tai Bastard" - Makes a gallon and is good for a crowd. Use your own brand preferances:
8 oz Orange Curaco
16 oz Dark Rum
8 oz Light Rum
8 oz Grenadine
32 oz Orange Juice
32 oz Pineapple Juice
24 oz Sour Mix

The above would probably benefit greatly with the addition of Orgate Syrup, but I don't want to venture an amount here - experiment on you own and under adult supervision.

I know, I know I'm going to burn in Mai-Tai Hell for this recipe . . . but I'll take my chances.

GH

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-06-23 11:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-23 08:13, GentleHangman wrote:
I don't know where I got this recipe from but I've named it "The Sufferin' Mai-Tai Bastard" - Makes a gallon and is good for a crowd. Use your own brand preferances:
8 oz Orange Curaco
16 oz Dark Rum
8 oz Light Rum
8 oz Grenadine
32 oz Orange Juice
32 oz Pineapple Juice
24 oz Sour Mix

The above would probably benefit greatly with the addition of Orgate Syrup, but I don't want to venture an amount here - experiment on you own and under adult supervision.

I know, I know I'm going to burn in Mai-Tai Hell for this recipe . . . but I'll take my chances.

GH

I'm sorry but all sour mix is garbage and belongs in the trash. It's one disagreement I have with Beachbum Berry (along with his use of bottled OJ in California where fresh oranges are so cheap). Make your own sour mix: fresh lemon juice and simple syrup.

I won't even go into the old argument that THIS IS NOT A MAI TAI. Oops, I just did.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-23 2:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-23 08:13, GentleHangman wrote:
...8 oz Grenadine...

Mai Tai and Grenadine don't go together. Not in the same bar, not in the same recipe, not even in the same thought.....

Quote:

GH

Welcome to T.C. Today we are touring the Third Ring of Hell, affectionately known as Mai-Tai Hell......

I like the fact that this recipe makes a gallon at a go, it sounds tasty (minus the red-stuff).

And then, rather than try and argue what is and isn't a Mai-Tai, Sufferin Bastard, so on and so on.... Let me suggest that you create a yummy name to go with a yummy sounding punch. Don't get the locals all riled up by using the Mai Tai name in vain.......

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-06-23 3:40 pm   Permalink

Yikes! I feel your ire.

I researched the recipe . . . . it came from Drinknation.com - and they called it a "Hawaii Mai Tai" - but I forgot that so that's why I called it what I called it.

Anyway . . . the only Mai Tai I actually make for myself is TV's original (or as close as I can get to it) - but being Diabetic . . . I have to make my own sugar-free "Rock Candy Syrup" . . . and use Torani Sugar-free Orgeat - but all of the other ingredients stay as faithful as my local liquor store allows.

Peace.

GH

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-26 4:25 pm   Permalink

My common recipe (only a little improv):
2 oz. rum
1/2 orgeat
1/2 oz curacao
1/2- 3/4 oz. lime juice.

No sugar syrup. For rum, I use whatever's handy. The different rums do change the flavor of the drink, so I enjoy trying all sorts. I just got a bottle of 10year Myers from Hi Times yesterday (cost $40, but the shot of it I tried last night was A-OK!). When friends are over, I just use some swill like Capt. Morgan. If it's important, I'll use something better. Matusalem makes for a pretty tasty one. D'aristi works out well, too.
Now, before I get lambasted for using Captain Morgan, let me say, the one advantage to Capt. Morgan and other cheap rums-- they're cheap! It cuts the cost of the Mai Tai in half. Which is probably only important for Restaurateurs and cheap bastards like myself. Cruzan is one of my favorite cheaply priced rums. 1.75L for about $20, but not exactly the kind of thing you can get at Sav On in a pinch.
Has anyone ever tried the orange curacao that's actually from curacao? They sell it at high times, it comes in a bottle that's sort of disk shaped. The label pretty much just says Curacao from Curacao. Pretty simple. I keep meaning to try it. Has anyone else ever given it a shot?

Limes? I buy those little lime shaped juice things in the grocery store for 75 cents. I know it's not freshly squeezed or anything, but it seems to work okay. Advantages-- I don't have to squeeze limes, and I don't have to worry about the limes rotting in my fridge. It really speeds up the preparation, so from the time I get home at night until I get a Mai Tai in my hand is like two minutes! Sweet!

And here's the million dollar question:
What have you ever used in a Mai Tai that you hated so bad that you'd never use it again?
My answer: Rose's lime juice. I was hard up, and that's what I had. It was gawd-awful!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiJosh 2006-06-26 16:26 ]

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2006-06-26 6:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-26 16:25, TikiJosh wrote:

What have you ever used in a Mai Tai that you hated so bad that you'd never use it again?

Those little lime shaped juice things in the grocery store for 75 cents.

If you really can't or temporarily don't want to deal with fresh limes then you must try Nellie and Joe's Lime Juice:
http://keylimejuice.com/

It's far tastier than the little lime shaped juice things and it's less expensive too. You can also find it at your local BevMo.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-27 08:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

I'm sorry but all sour mix is garbage and belongs in the trash. It's one disagreement I have with Beachbum Berry (along with his use of bottled OJ in California where fresh oranges are so cheap). Make your own sour mix: fresh lemon juice and simple syrup.

You shouldn't have to be sorry when you're right. Which, of course, you are. All hail The Jab.

Home-made sour mix is so easy to make and so infinitely better than any kind you can purchase. O RLY? YA RLY.

My favorite recipe is 1/2 part lime, 1/2 part lemon, 1 part simple syrup. I mean, A good mixologist is going to have fresh lime and lemon juice already for his/her drinks anyway, right? (nod your head yes)

View Profile of Melintur Send a personal message to Melintur  Email Melintur Goto the website of Melintur ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-27 08:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-26 18:08, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

Laff! You took the words right outta my mouth!

Ahu

Fraternal Order of Moai

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-27 09:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

I'm sorry but all sour mix is garbage and belongs in the trash. Make your own sour mix: fresh lemon juice and simple syrup.

100% agreed.

But I am not in agreement with the recipes for sour mix posted here. Sour mix is essentially lemon juice and sugar. There is no need to use sugar syrup. And you cook it, which changes the flavor of the stuff away from what sugar syrup and lemon juice would bring to a cocktail.

My recommended version:

1 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 cup of fresh squeezed lime juice
2 pounds of good granulated sugar (I like Maui brand Plantation White Hawaiian sugar, but any quality white sugar will do)

Heat together in a pot on the stove stirring constantly on high until it boils. Once it is boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and stop stirring. Cook for a few minutes longer and it will clarify to a nice yellow gold syrup.

Add one half cup of white rum as a preservative (mold retardant), and one 1/4 cup of corn syrup as a crystal retardant if you like. These are not essential ingredients, just nice to add if you are gonna be storing it.

Keep it in the fridge. Use within 3 months or so if you add the rum. If you don't add the rum it is good until it molds.

Once you make this stuff you will never go back. And I do agree with Melintur obviously, I think lemon/lime is best... but you can use two cups of lemon alone if you like. It is also tasty.

For a nice treat, cut the lemon peels into strips (yes, the whole peel) and leave some of the syrup in the pot. Turn the heat back on and cook the strips in the hot syrup for about 5 minutes or so. Then jar them and place in the fridge. Leave it for 24 hours. Candied lemon peel garnish anyone?

Ahu

Fraternal Order of Moai

[ This Message was edited by: KuKuAhu 2006-06-27 09:07 ]

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-27 1:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Quote:

If you really can't or temporarily don't want to deal with fresh limes then you must try Nellie and Joe's Lime Juice: http://keylimejuice.com/

It's far tastier than the little lime shaped juice things and it's less expensive too. You can also find it at your local BevMo.

Ouch. I do agree with you, though. I've used the Key Lime juice from BevMo-- very nice.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-06-27 3:04 pm   Permalink

My answer to the 'Million Dollar Question':

Trader Vic's Mai Tai Mix!

They should be ashamed of themselves! What are they thinking?

Anybody want two bottles?

GH

stickyii

Posted: 2006-06-27 3:18 pm   Permalink

I did a Mai Tai recipe comparison a couple months back:

http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/recipe-comparison-mai-tai/

I need to update it, as I've found myself some Martinique rum (a hard thing to do when living in PA).

View Profile of stickyii Send a personal message to stickyii  Goto the website of stickyii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-28 04:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-27 08:41, KuKuAhu wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Laff! You took the words right outta my mouth!

Ahu

Everyone keeps banging on those little green lime things from the grocery, they are not all bad. That is they are not all bad once you pour the crap inside of them out. That crap inside, by the way, will get rid of mildew in the shower.....

Here's what you do with those things: Pour out everything inside of them, wash them and let them dry. Take your favorite flavor of Kool-Aid (or drink mix brand of choice, preferably a green flavor) and mix it dry with about a 1/2 cup of sugar. Pour this mixture back into the dry lime thing and put the cap back on.

You end up with something approximating the Pixie-Stiks we grew up with. Relive your childhood. Or give them to the kids (yours or otherwise) and watch'em go......

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-28 06:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-28 04:47, Chip and Andy wrote:

Here's what you do with those things: Pour out everything inside of them, wash them and let them dry. Take your favorite flavor of Kool-Aid (or drink mix brand of choice, preferably a green flavor) and mix it dry with about a 1/2 cup of sugar. Pour this mixture back into the dry lime thing and put the cap back on.

You end up with something approximating the Pixie-Stiks we grew up with. Relive your childhood. Or give them to the kids (yours or otherwise) and watch'em go......

Hmmm... those things are cool little containers in spite of the noxious liquid inside.. I like the re-use concept. Good call.

What else could we do with them?

Perhaps fill them with rum and serve one to each guest along with the cocktails so that they can add more kick to the drinks as they go along.

Or fill 'em with sugar syrup.. or pineapple juice.. then the guests that prefer drinks that taste like candy will be able to sweeten without embarrassement.

Or we could mix a special shot type drink in them and pass them out..

Or loop a string through 'em and wear them (full of booze of course)

Or make leis out of them.

What else ya got?

Ahu

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation