FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food the ideal Mai Tai formula?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
the ideal Mai Tai formula?
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-28 10:55 am   Permalink

I used to use them to deter my dog from chewing on her leash during walks, also helped curb her agression with other dogs.

Might work on wiley tiki centralites who attempt to use RealLime in their mai tais.

No! Bad! Fresh only!

Goooood drunkard.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-28 2:24 pm   Permalink

I have a few questions about the Mai Tai.

Limes What kind of fresh limes? I have used Key limes and regular Meyer limes and they make a very differant drink. Which kind do you like?

Floater Do you float rum on your Mai Tai? If so what do you use and how much of it do you use.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-06-28 2:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-28 14:24, captnkirk wrote:

Limes What kind of fresh limes? I have used Key limes and regular Meyer limes and they make a very differant drink. Which kind do you like?

Floater Do you float rum on your Mai Tai? If so what do you use and how much of it do you use.

I would use key limes if readily available but they aren't in my area so I use limes from Trader Joe's that come in a 2 lb. bag - not sure if they are Meyer. They're usually much more juicy compared to the supermarket limes which are usually woody.

I don't use a floater, but if you prefer one, by all means float on! (hi my name is Jab, and I'm an Aquarius) I like to drink my Mai Tais without a straw so I can get my face down close and smell the mint and rum, and a float sometimes ruins the balance of the drink when drank that way (depending on the rum). The common dark rum float (Myers's, etc) is not a good addition in my opinion because it's too overpowering.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-28 3:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-28 14:24, captnkirk wrote:
I have a few questions about the Mai Tai.

I float sometimes, depending on my mood. In the past, I've used Myers. In the more recent past, I've taken to using whatever good sipping rums I have around. Right now, I'm using 10yo Myers, very flavorful, more like a sipping rum. I usually float one shot.
I also double my Mai Tais, so that it more or less fills a tiki mug. Doubling tends to help with the overpowering tendency that some floats can have as there's more diluent (higher Mai Tai:Float volume ratio).

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-06-28 4:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-28 15:32, TikiJosh wrote:Right now, I'm using 10yo Myers, very flavorful, more like a sipping rum. I usually float one shot.

There's a huge difference between Myers's regular dark and Myers's 10-year (Legend?). I know some bars that serve Myers's Lengend but I haven't had much luck finding it in liquor stores here. Good stuff.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-28 5:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-28 16:34, thejab wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-06-28 15:32, TikiJosh wrote:Right now, I'm using 10yo Myers, very flavorful, more like a sipping rum. I usually float one shot.

There's a huge difference between Myers's regular dark and Myers's 10-year (Legend?). I know some bars that serve Myers's Lengend but I haven't had much luck finding it in liquor stores here. Good stuff.

Yes, there is a HUGE difference. It's the 10yo, I think you're right, it's called Legend. Hi Times in Costa Mesa is the only place I've ever seen it. I didn't even know Myers made such a thing. I was reading the hang tag and apparently Myers only sets aside a small amount of rum of this, so it's sort of a limited supply.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aikiman44
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-29 4:52 pm   Permalink

My orgeat has solidified in the bottle. I'm planning on Mai Tais this weekend. Can I microwave the bottle or something in a hurry?

View Profile of aikiman44 Send a personal message to aikiman44  Email aikiman44 Goto the website of aikiman44     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-30 4:30 pm   Permalink

Throw it out.

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-11 3:46 pm   Permalink

HELP! Help save the Mai Tai!

I found
THIS evil bit of horrible drink recipes and was shocked at the number of recipes calling themselves Mai Tais.... Shocked, I say! Look in the left-hand column where it says 'Similar Drinks.'

Now, in a slightly more rational tone..... I appreciate the fact that each of these recipes has been qualified with a name variation so that innocent bystanders wont get hurt. But, for the "Mai Tai" with no extra name variation they plan on serving in a Collins glass, layered with lots of pineapple and sweet and sour. Gasp!

Now, in an even more rational tone (Ha!), there is an option where you can cast your vote for the drink(s) in question. Please, join me in voting that recipe down to a one. I have posted a comment to that recipe indicating what and how a Mai-Tai should be made. Let us hope it is not too late.....

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-11 3:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-07-11 15:46, Chip and Andy wrote:
HELP! Help save the Mai Tai!

I found THIS evil bit of horrible drink recipes and was shocked at the number of recipes calling themselves Mai Tais.... Shocked, I say! Look in the left-hand column where it says 'Similar Drinks.'

Now, in a slightly more rational tone..... I appreciate the fact that each of these recipes has been qualified with a name variation so that innocent bystanders wont get hurt. But, for the "Mai Tai" with no extra name variation they plan on serving in a Collins glass, layered with lots of pineapple and sweet and sour. Gasp!

Now, in an even more rational tone (Ha!), there is an option where you can cast your vote for the drink(s) in question. Please, join me in voting that recipe down to a one. I have posted a comment to that recipe indicating what and how a Mai-Tai should be made. Let us hope it is not too late.....

My favorite thing about that link is the guy who posted, "The REAL mai tai has 5 tropical juices and rum." and then rated the recipe a 10 out of 10. I guess he knows something we don't.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation