FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » the ideal Mai Tai formula?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
the ideal Mai Tai formula?
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-15 6:19 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the info on Whaler's. Though I don't have a problem with it in the Mai Tai I make, I'm always interested in learning about different rums. I'll try some of the substitutions mentioned. However, do try the Kaniche if you can find it.

Also, not to be a 'dirty stinker' but Trader Vic also said: "I originally held that it was better to make each individual drink. But with the changes in time and bars, I have changed my recommendations. Now I advise you to use mixes. they're usually good, they're fast, and they're consistent." (31-32, Revised Bartender's Guide). I think we all can agree that Vic's Mai-Tai mix is terrible, and he sacrificed quality to mass produce drinks. But hey, he was a business man. My point is, that as times change (and rums and other ingredients no longer are available) recipes change. I don't think you have to stick to the letter when it comes to making Mai Tais, as long as what you make can reasonably meet the definition and is excellent in taste.

I, Zombie

p.s. I'm really curious about that recipe using the bitters!

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Blank Reg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-15 8:17 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
I hope you don't mind but I thought I de-lurk here and jump in. (Been Luking a few weeks)
Call me Reg.
I have 3 bottles of Curacaos Hiram Walker,Leroux and Dekuper so I though I would do a quick taste test. (any excuse to try out my new shot glasses)
Here is what I found.

Hiram Walker:
15% or 30 Proof
Aroma: most natural orange scent
Flavor: Some what watered down tasting

Leroux
27% or 54 Proof
Aroma: more like a Brandy with a hint of fruit
Flavor: Smooth but you can just taste the alcohol

Dekuper
27% or 54 Proof
Aroma: Similar to Leroux more Brandy like
Flavor: Also Smooth with a hint of wood possibly Oak

I Prefer Leroux but Dekuper will also do. But Hiram Walker only as a last resort.

View Profile of Blank Reg Send a personal message to Blank Reg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-07-16 11:36 am   Permalink

Thanks Blank Reg for the taste test results. I'll look for other brands besides Hiram Walker from now on.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-16 5:20 pm   Permalink

Excellent post, Reg!

I'd be interested in what you think of Bols. I've had great luck with their orange and blue Curacao.

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-16 10:54 pm   Permalink

I just scored a bottle of Marie Brizard Curacao. I was told that it is the best. It may be to good for mixing, but what the heck? I also use Lemon Hart Rum. A sprig of Mint is a must, and I would never use a cherry. I've yet to go to a bar that uses a sprig of mint.

Cheers,

KT

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-16 11:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2003-07-06 20:00, Luckydesigns wrote:
Here's the tried and true formula for a Mai Tai as served at Trader Vics.

1 1/2oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
1/2oz. curacao
1/4oz. orgeat syrup
1/4oz. rock candy syrup
1oz. Jamaican rum (I use Myers)
1oz. Martinique rum (I use Mt. Gay)

Mix together in a glass with crushed ice and the spent lime shell. If you want to go the distance, garnish with a fresh mint sprig.

A couple of these will light you up. Enjoy!

Right you are LD, Victor J. Bergeron has Registered the formula,and any other chemistry cannot be called a Mai Tai.
I'm sure everyone's "design" in the world tastes great, but they simply need to find another name for it. If I ordered a Ferrari, I don't expect to get a Ford Pinto

My choice of Ingredients(yes it is somewhat stereotype)
1 1/2oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
1/2oz. curacao (I use DeKuyper)
1/4oz. orgeat syrup (I use TRADER VIC'S)
1/4oz. rock candy syrup (I use TRADER VIC'S)
1oz. Jamaican rum (I use TRADER VIC'S AUTHENTIC DARK RUM
Barbados)
1oz. Martinique rum (I use CRUZAN SINGLE BARREL ESTATE RUM
12 years, St. Croix)

[ This Message was edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-07-16 23:44 ]

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-17 01:24 am   Permalink

Aloha and welcome Zombie
Ahhh, sorry but I have to disagree. I kinda like the TV maiTai mix for home use if I cant make one from scratch...it doesnt taste that bad to me, but I like coors lite too. So what do I know.
Your right, Recipes and times can change but names dont necessarily do. But If your going to make a mai tai or call it a mai tai then I think you should follow the recipe to the letter otherwise its not truly a mai tai. Call it something else, or add your name to it so you can keep your version separate from the original. no? Alot of places make their version of a mai tai and then you go and order one and when you get it, it doesnt taste anything like a "real" one.

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-17 02:22 am   Permalink

I don't usually expect to get a 'real mai tai' from a bar unless it is a legit tiki bar. Even those (except TV's) usually screw them up too. Mai Tai has become such a generic drink name to those not 'in the know.'

Making the Mai Tai from scratch does take quite some time and prep work. I can understand using the mix from time to time. Also, Coors Light is delicious.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-17 07:19 am   Permalink

Unga Bunga,

Your recipe calls for rum from Barbados and St. Croix. Vic's calls for rum from Jaimaca and Martinique. Are you making a Mai Tai?

By my definition (reasonably meet the definition and is excellent in taste) I assume you are. But a purest might reject the choice of rums.

Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-17 08:32 am   Permalink

Sometimes I like to use "Citronage", instead of curacao. It is a orange liquer from Mexico. It is finer than Triplesec and Curacao, not as fine as Grand Marnier or Contrieu. In the $18.00 a bottle range, I buy mine at Vons. Makes a great drink.
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-17 10:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-07-17 07:19, I, Zombie wrote:
Unga Bunga,

Your recipe calls for rum from Barbados and St. Croix. Vic's calls for rum from Jaimaca and Martinique. Are you making a Mai Tai?

By my definition (reasonably meet the definition and is excellent in taste) I assume you are. But a purest might reject the choice of rums.

Ya Zombie, another good point. Ironically the Barbados rum is T.V.'s, so are they being hypocritical? (Side note, this rum is starting to win a lot of tasting contests)
I served a customer a bottle of wine once in a snobby restaurant I use to work. I presented it to him; it was a Talbott Chardonnay from the Sleepy Hollow region, which is simply the part of the vineyard the grapes were grown. He replied,” I can see that, but was it the north or south slope of the vineyard (were only talking about 30 acres)
I called the Winery to please the jerk, and I thought he would be content. Then he snubbedly asked, what fertilizer was used for the grapes. I "threw" the manager at the table to wait on him, and that’s the day when I switched to beer and Rum.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-07-17 11:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-07-17 01:24, Tiki Rider Five-O wrote:I kinda like the TV maiTai mix for home use if I cant make one from scratch...it doesnt taste that bad to me, but I like coors lite too. So what do I know.

You know what you like, and I agree with you. A Mai Tai made with Vic's mix tastes better (and more authentic) than most Mai Tais I've had served to me in bars (even in tiki bars and bars in Hawaii!). In Hawaii we got the mix, some limes, and a bottle of Myers' and made them ourselves rather than drink the pineapple and grenadine swill they served in most bars. The two exceptions were the "House Without a Key" bar and the Banyan Tree bar at the New Otani Hotel, both in Waikiki. Both bars had good Mai Tais and great atmosphere (beach views).

The mix is primarily orange and almond flavors so it is a good substitute if you don't want to buy (or can't find) curacao and orgeat.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-17 11:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-07-17 08:32, Alnshely wrote:
Sometimes I like to use "Citronage", instead of curacao. It is a orange liquer from Mexico. It is finer than Triplesec and Curacao, not as fine as Grand Marnier or Contrieu.

I was about to bring this up, and Al - always on the ball - sorta beat me to it. My question: In a pinch, what do you guys think of using Triple Sec when Curacao isn't available. Has anyone done comparisons?

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-07-17 12:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-07-17 11:42, tikibars wrote:
I was about to bring this up, and Al - always on the ball - sorta beat me to it. My question: In a pinch, what do you guys think of using Triple Sec when Curacao isn't available. Has anyone done comparisons?

I've tasted them side by side and came to these conclusions:

Triple Sec has a subtle orange flavor and is quite sweet - not really enough orange flavor for a good Mai Tai.

Orange Curacao is made from special oranges and so has a different flavor than any other orange liqueur - just right for a Mai Tai.

Cointreau is stronger in flavor than curacao (more tart) and may be too bold for a Mai Tai if one uses 1/2 oz. I've tried it in a Mai Tai and preferred curacao.

Grand Marnier is an orange flavored cognac and also may be too strongly flavored in a Mai Tai unless one uses less than 1/2 oz.

I think the key in a Mai Tai is to let the flavors of the rum come through. Which is why aged rums are better and the flavorings are used sparingly. You don't want orange or almond flavors to dominate the drink.

Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-17 12:23 pm   Permalink

Mercy... Now I'm thirsty!!!

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation